Author Topic: Diary - Sunday 23 August 2020  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Sunday 23 August 2020
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 August 20 08:25 BST (UK) »
called F boss cards

EFTPOS  ;D

Electronic Funds Transfer at Point  Of Sale

You can do that in the UK too with your bank card.

Thanks for putting me right with the spelling and the full explanation!
You're right you can do this in the UK but not in 2005!

It was not something we were able to do back then which is why I commented on it.... forward thinking in NZ.... bit like your women getting the vote before those in U.K.
It was very useful whilst we were travelling around the country .

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 August 20 09:47 BST (UK) »
Like Ruskie said, retrace your steps, I do that if I mislay something but it is frustrating, St Anthony is the patron saint of finding things I believe!! , they will turn  up when you least expect them to, just forget for awhile and it will probably come to you

Annette, you might hear from the people you dreamt about, let us know if you do

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 August 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
This is just quick as I will have to be getting ready again soon to head off for next nightshift.

Thanks Roobarb.  I am very excited about new match!  I have invited them to view my tree.  If I do not hear back from them by a fortnight I will message them again.  I would like to know if they can spot any links as soon as possible.  However, I don't want them to feel pestered by me about it.   I think this might be more important to me than them.  I get the impression that this person has only previously concentrated on their American side and has not looked at the UK side before.

Caroline, it is great to see you back!  :D I think your very interesting posts will have been missed by us all. 
Most of the time, like the person you mention, I can fall asleep as soon as my head touches the pillow.  My trouble is that I have interrupted sleep and keeping waking up and/or wake up too soon.

Annette, if you have looked in familiar places and retraced steps, perhaps try looking in unexpected places and or consider what you may have last used scissors for.
I once bought some salad cream once but later could not find this.  I began to conclude that I must have left it behind in the shop.  Then I did find it in an unexpected place .. in a cupboard with my cleaning products! :-[ :-X
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 August 20 17:05 BST (UK) »
Caroline, lovely to see you back  :)  You must be missing your daughter and the boys already, good that you managed to go to Waitrose to stock up after their visit. Not so good in Lidl but at least you got what you went there for, hope for some fine weather so your OH can use it. Must admit that's the only thing I miss about going to Aldi, seeing what special buys they have, I've bought a lot of useful stuff there. Certainly don't miss the rest of the experience!

Nice to hear from you Mckha489  :) Always good to hear how things are going at the other side of the world. Coming up to spring there, how lovely, it doesn't seem five minutes since the spring flowers were out here.

Annette, do you think you might have thrown your scissors in the rubbish by mistake, like Ruskie did with the secateurs? So frustrating.

Ruskie, I'm so intrigued now as to what it was you watched on TV!  :D Not sure which programmes you get there so it's difficult to hazard a guess. Later in the evening so it can't have been a children's programme. Naked Attraction?  ;D

RTL, hope you don't have to wait a fortnight to hear from your American match, I suppose the time difference makes it a bit more random as to when you can expect replies.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 August 20 23:52 BST (UK) »
It's good to be back and thanks RTL & Roobarb for your lovely comments..

Annette- I'm a dab hand at 'putting things down and then not being able to find them'.... recently I've managed to loose a very useful two pronged garden tool which is great for getting weeds in the lawn harder rooted items out... I used it for a small walnut growing in the middle of a spreading geranium and used it to get it out... where is it now heavens knows... it may turn up or maybe not... pity as it's very handy!
When digging in the compost heap some years ago I spied a red, white & blue thing and when lifted it out there were one set of our patio door keys which we'd lost! I blamed OH... it could have been me but we were on the verge of having the locks changed as we hadn't been able to find them...
I've thrown more veg peelers, small knives away with peelings than I care to remember.... have you looked for your scissors under your chairs, sofa down the sides of the cushions or in your cupboards...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 00:10 BST (UK) »
I’ve thrown out several veg peelers with the peelings as well Caroline.

Roobarb, we get all sorts of rubbish TV programmes from the UK and the USA. I (partly) watched three in a row - all were bad.  :-[

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hope you get some better telly today Ruskie.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hope you get some better telly today Ruskie.

No chance.  ;D

The Salisbury Poisionings started last night, but I’ve already seen it. Very good it was too.  :)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 00:50 BST (UK) »
Not Naked Attraction then?  ;D ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham