Author Topic: William HARRIS and Elizabeth ROSSITER -Kent  (Read 665 times)

Offline birdie345

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William HARRIS and Elizabeth ROSSITER -Kent
« on: Monday 24 August 20 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I am trying to gather any information regarding my ancestors.  William Harris and Elizabeth Rossiter were both born around 1853, I have census information that is a little conflicting on Williams place of birth, in 1881 place of birth is listed as NK (not known I assume) living in a caravan in Thomas Road, Sittingbourne but by the time the they have settled in Sheerness the 1891 census lists Williams place of birth as Bishopswood, Essex?  Elizabeth's place of birth is listed as Sheerness in both census but her family are travellers (maybe both families were) so all children are listed as various parts of Kent for places of birth in her line. (Also listed in 1901 census as place of birth Sheerness but by then William has died and she is a widow)
I can see that Elizabeth's parents were Thomas Rossiter and Barbara Ellen Lee (married in Canterbury 1833) both travelling families.  I can also see that William's father is listed on the marriage banns of his marriage to Elizabeth Rossiter, 5th Jan 1874 as Daniel HARRIS.   
I am a direct descendant of the Harris line and can find no information on who Daniel Harris was, who Williams mother was or where they lived and if they were a travelling family too.  It has been said in the family that the Harris line may have been showmen/travelling performers but I have nothing to back this up. 
Any information on this or what I can possibly do to research further would be greatly appreciated.
With thanks  :) :)
Harris/Baker/Rossiter/Lee -Kent

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William HARRIS and Elizabeth ROSSITER -Kent
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
Would normally suggest birth certificate but I guess with a name like William Harris and birth place being uncertain that is a no go at this stage  :-\

Have you found any marriages for a Daniel Harris before William was born?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 16:28 BST (UK) »
What occupations do you have for William please?

There is a William in 1871 age 18 grandson born Eastling? Kent who is a labourer at the time.

In 1861 he's grandson again age 8 so if that was him maybe he was uncertain of his birth.

Maria Vidier 60 head widow
WH 8
Thomas Merrills 68 lodger
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 16:29 BST (UK) »
The marriage certificate states that both William & Daniel Harris were Hawkers as was Elizabeths father Thomas
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline birdie345

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Thank you for your help.
Yes, both William and Elizabeth's parents were listed as Hawkers, so maybe both are gypsy/traveller families.

The only Daniel Harris I managed to find was baptised in Oare Kent in 1806, his father is listed as Daniel Harriss (spelt with 2 S,s) and mother listed as Lydia Harriss but no further info on these people to know if they are connected to my family.

Not sure on the Eastling household with William.
Harris/Baker/Rossiter/Lee -Kent