Author Topic: Murphy family - Lanarkshire area - c.1870  (Read 1412 times)

Offline SVN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murphy family - Lanarkshire area - c.1870
« on: Tuesday 25 August 20 01:36 BST (UK) »
hello to all - I am researching family that lived in Lanarkshire back in the mid to late 1800s. Of interest is a Theodore Block/ch, who married a Catherine Murphy (nee McAuley). Catherine's father, Joseph Murphy lived with his mother, Hanna Murphy (nee McConville) at 53 Great Hamilton Street in Carlton c.1851. Joseph married Elizabeth McAuley and moved to  161 Cumberland Street in Govan. Finally, they end up moving to No. 2 Risk Street, where they had my GGM, Catherine Murphy (who later marries Theodore Block). They loved all over Lanarkshire, but lived on Pine Street and Rose Street.

I am look for ANY information on my family - pictures of the area as it was, pics of family or friends. If anyone has any stories about these families, I would GREATLY appreciate it! After four years of hitting brick walls, would be nice to have some sort of breakthrough, no matter how small it is. Hoping some of you can help. Thanx in advance. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy family - Lanarkshire area - c.1870
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 12:16 BST (UK) »
Well I see from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk that Theodore Block and Catherine Murphy were married in Cathcart in 1877. There is no reference to McAuley in the marriage index.

Joseph Murphy married Elizabeth McAuley in 1855 in Glasgow Calton. They had Catherine in 1855, James in 1858 and Joseph in 1861.

In the 1861 census they were in Cumberland Street. Joseph Murphy, 26, shop man leather warehouse, born Ireland, wife Elizabeth, 22, born Ireland, Catherine, 5 and James, 2.

I can't find T*d*r* Bloc* in the census index at SP. Have you got his marriage certificate? What were the names of his parents? How old was he? What was his occupation and where did he live?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 12:31 BST (UK) »
I see from the USA census of 1900 that Theodore and Catherine had two children in Scotland and then moved to the USA, where they had six more. The census says that Theodore was 47 and born in Germany, and that they immigrated in 1880. Not surprising, then, that he's not in the census in Scotland.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline SVN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hello, and thank you for replying! The Theodore Block you found, and are asking about, IS the one that you have the marriage certificate for - he married Catherine Murphy in 1876. The real surname was supposedly "Bloch" - with a -ch and not-ck, but that might have been changed when Theodore immigrated to Scotland form his native Germany. His birthdate is listed as November, 1852. On some records it says Berlin, Germany, but this cannot be verified. No relatives left with any knowledge of his background, other than he is from Germany (which would have been Prussia at that time). If you've see his marriage record to Catherine, you'd know the other genealogy nightmare I am facing with that line. His parents are listed as "Michael Block" (again it would have been Bloch) and his mum? Good luck. It looks like "Rosalgo Blasinski or Blinnski." Haven't a clue! I have, again, spent the better part of four YEARS trying to trace that line back, but to no avail, and that was with trying every conceivable permutation of the names. Without an exact city/parish in Germany, it's almost impossible. That is why is would be wonderful to discover someone whose family actually knew him. he was a joiner/cabinetmaker by trade. And I don't know when, or even why, he decided to head to Scotland. 

Offline SVN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 19:08 BST (UK) »
To your other finds, I have the marriage records for Theodore and for Catherine's mum, Elizabeth McAuley, and the birth records for their (Theodore' & Catherine's) children they had whilst still living in Glasgow (a Catherine and an Alena Elizabeth) - all from the Scotland's People site. Theodore and Catherine wouldn't have been on the 1881 census, given that they had already emigrated. BUT...where was Theodore prior to his marriage in 1876? Surely he would have been in Scotland for a short while, no? Yet, he doesn't appear on the 1871 census - not even as a lodger. So there is a missing story there. Figures. lol

I have the remaining info for them- loads of censuses, etc., from off of Ancestry. All of that is once they came to the States. There is no-one here to help add to the story - simply no ancestors left, save one, who is in the same boat as I. Thus, I am desperately trying to go further back that what I already know, or have. Hope you can help! But thank you so much for your efforts!!!

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 19:37 BST (UK) »
Do you have Theodore's death record?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QLYT-C84R

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 19:41 BST (UK) »
No, I haven't seen any of the information you have. Only the index listings.

May I suggest that next time you post a question, you give a summary of everything you already know about the person you are looking for - dates, what certificates/census you already have, and so on - to save other people spending time looking up stuff you already know.

Offline SVN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 19:45 BST (UK) »
Certainly. I assumed that by giving the details, it would have been obvious that I already had certain knowledge, and that I was attempting to work with what I already knew backwards (in other words, trying to add to their story in Scotland, or further back to N.I. and Germany). But advice duly noted. Will do.  :)

Offline SVN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 19:49 BST (UK) »
To clarify, I do not need any information on them from 1880 on. I possess the marriage records, birth records for their daughters born in Scotland, as well as the 1861 and 1871 censuses. The information I have beyond that (which takes me forward to the States, doesn't help add anything. So I really need someone who is a Murphy relative in the UK, or someone whose family might have known them, to possibly help fill in the gaps.