Author Topic: Llandwrog, Bryntrallwyn, Jones  (Read 4287 times)

Offline wallbanger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llandwrog, Bryntrallwyn, Jones
« on: Wednesday 26 August 20 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, need some help and advice, please. After years of hunting for Jane Jones, unsuccessfully, I took a birthdate from the 1839 census and sent for the birth certificate from the GRO. The parents were David Jones, tailor, and Jane, formerly HUGHES, and daughter Jane born Bryntrallwyn, Llandwrog. Instead of the 25th December 1846, the one they sent was for the 26th, but the father’s name was David, as I’d stipulated, but he was a tailor and not a labourer as had been put on Jane’s marriage certificate in Gwytherin, Denbighshire.
Looking at the records for this family, I’ve found the following children:
Margaret b.1841 d.1842
Anne b.1843
Jane b.1846
David b.1849

Checking the parish burial records, I’ve found that Jane Hughes died 1851, not long after the census was taken, making her birth abt 1822, and David marries a Catherine, probably Williams but yet to be confirmed, and has 6 more children.
David and Jane are shown living at Ty Newydd, Bryntirion, in 1841 with daughter, Margaret, and in 1851 with Anne, Jane and David. Son, David is living with father and his second wife and their children in 1861. The property becomes known as Tai Newyddion, Bryntirion. I assume they are one and the same.

I have a couple of problems. Some of the children are baptised and some aren’t. Neither Anne nor Jane are baptised. Why would that be? I’m assuming that if they were non-conformists, then none of them would be in the parish baptisms

Jane and Anne are obviously old enough to go into domestic service by the 1861, and I’ve found a couple of contenders, but can’t be 100% certain. If this birth certificate is the right one, I know Jane is living at Tyddyn Ucha in either Llangernyw or Gwytherin, in Denbighshire, in 1866, but I don’t know in what capacity, as there’s no occupation given for her on her marriage certificate. After her marriage, her husband was a shepherd and a labourer, and they lived on and around the Moors. I know the family’s movements from 1866, and have the marriage and death certs.

How can I discover how Jane ended up moving away from her birth family. So far, I’ve not found any relatives she could have moved to after her father’s remarriage. Why would Llandwrog not be listed as her birthplace on any census? Would she not have known her father was a master tailor? David Jones also had Parish Clerk as well as Tailor on the 1871 census.

I don’t know this area at all, so I’m hunting blind, after getting so familiar with the Denbighshire parishes. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks. Diolch yn fawr.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Llandwrog, Bryntrallwyn, Jones
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 18:00 BST (UK) »
Have you ruled out two jane Jones
With similar birth dates
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline wallbanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 18:30 BST (UK) »
No, I haven’t ruled them out. The only Jane I’m confident about who matches the birth certificate is the Jane in the 1851 census. The Jane Jones who are b. Llandwrog in the 1861 census are contenders but I can’t confirm either way because they are in service and not with the father and his second wife and their children. Same with Anne, although I’ve found a likely Anne who remains single and in service, although again, I can’t be 100%.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 23:01 BST (UK) »
With a name like Jane Jones its not easy

Im sorting out my Denbighshire jones with the help of dna but its not always obvious which lines they are from ..

Id she was a domestic servant she may have moved with her employees.

Several girls I found listed as domestics were actually in relatives families .I only know this from having a very wide tree .lioking for all the siblings in each generation .

Good luck  keep us updated if you get any information

Offline wallbanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 August 20 03:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking a look, brigidmac. I hadn’t considered her moving with a family she might have been employed with. I’m only assuming she went into service as an alternative to being with relatives. I’ve sent off for what I hope is the right marriage certificate for David Jones and Jane Hughes so I can perhaps find other relatives she might be with in 1861.

What I find difficult to understand is why Llandwrog or even simply Caernarfonshire was never given as her birthplace on the census returns as an adult. I feel like I’ve wasted 10 years looking in the wrong county. I’m beginning to wonder now if Jane Jones’ husband, John Davies, also came from Caernarfonshire and not Llanfair Talhaiarn, Denbighshire, as was claimed on the census’, as his early records are just as elusive.

It would be just great if I could find a census return for 1861, giving her birthplace as Llandwrog but living somewhere near Gwytherin or Llangernyw, but hey ho, that would be too easy.  ;)

Next stop I suppose will be a trip to local cemeteries in the parish to see if I can find any graves. I’m finding it difficult to pinpoint deaths for David Jones and David’s second wife, Catherine, although there is a burial for Jane Hughes (Jones) in the parish burials in 1851.

Researching the Parry side of the family was a doddle compared to the Jones.

Thanks again, brigidmac.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 August 20 10:41 BST (UK) »
Can you tell us more about the jane jones you know is yours after 1881
Husbands name profession etc details given on marriage certificate witnesses

Do any of the censuses have any of her potential relatives staying as visitors .? Or living next door

I know you have already searched everywhere but maybe someone will come up with something related to her or to rule the other Jones out

some of my Denbighshire jones wandered across to Lancashire to get married and baptised
 moved around Wales to go to diffèrent coal iron or lead mines .

My welsh geography & history not good but could it be to do with borders changing

Was the birthplace of husband consistent on other census ?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 August 20 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hello

Could you give us more information about Jane's marriage to John Davies - date, etc. and the census refs that you know are them, please.

Many of my ancestors were from Denbighshire/Merionethshire and bore the usual names - Jones, Roberts, Hughes etc.  Over the years, I have managed to fined most of them.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wallbanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 August 20 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hello again, brigidmac, and hi, gadget,

Apologies in advance for the long post, but it was as short as I could get it.

Jane Jones married John Davies, in Gwytherin, Denbighshire in 1866, both of ‘full age’ and of the parish. He was a labourer on the marriage certificate and also a farmer/bugail/shepherd on the census’. Her father’s name was given as David Jones, labourer, and his father’s name was given as William Davies, labourer.

John Davies was b. Llanfair Talhaiarn about 1844 according to the census’ from 1871 onwards. That was pretty consistent in all of them. According to most of the census’, Jane was born in Llangernyw. At the time they were married, his address was Pen Llether, and her address was Tyddyn Ucha. John signed with his mark, but Jane signed her name.

He died 1932 Pandy Tudur, Llangernyw.
Death certificate gives age at death as 89 which would confirm birth 1843/44, although there is a M.I. in Gwytherin which has his age as 90. John and Jane’s first son, William is buried in Gwytherin, and the large gravestone has both John and Jane also inscribed on it, but there are no burial records. I do have their death certificates. Jane went to live with her daughter in Penmaenmawr after John’s death, and died there in 1940.

Most of addresses after his marriage are in bleak isolated places e.g. township of Cornwall (with one or two l’s) in Llanfair Talhaiarn, and on the Moors near Llansannan/Pentrefoelas. The 1911 census has him at Cornwall Ganol, which son Thomas takes over when John & Jane move to Pandy Tudur.

Their children were Jane, Catherine, William, Thomas and Margaret.

I have everything from John and Jane’s marriage onwards, but cannot find a confident match for a date of birth or baptism for John Davies or a sure match in the 1851 census. There are a couple of contenders for the 1861 census. I’m still not 100% confident about this birth certificate for Jane.

I did think a family of Davies at Hafod Gau was the likely family for John, but I’m unable to prove it. They have a John listed on the census, but he is the only one in that family not listed in the Parish baptisms in either Gwytherin or Llanfair Talhaiarn. The Hafod Gau Davies family have all died by 1864, except for John and possibly David, as they are not in the burials, unlike the rest of them. Hafod Gau is in the same remote area as John and Jane’s home, Beaver Gro, in 1871, in Llanfair Cornwall (Llanfair Talhaiarn.)

Other than that, I’ve not found any other possible relatives, other than their children and their families.

Every certificate I’ve sent for has not been the right one with William as the father. I’ve been looking at it again since lockdown, and have started now to research every John Davies with William as a father in the Denbighshire parish baptisms.

I must mention the Llandudno local Register Office, they have been very, very helpful, if as unsuccessful as me, for both John and Jane.

Thanks again, brigidmac, and you, too, gadget, if you can add anything.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 August 20 13:41 BST (UK) »
Looking at their marriage entry, it looks as if the witnesses were parish officials, certainly the first one was as he signed the previous entry. Thus no help there!

Can you say which parish they are in on the 1871 Census, please. There are 71 93 possible couples showing on my search, given the info you've given.

Gadget

Add - sorry, I forgot to welcome you to the forum. Welcome  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***