Author Topic: Looking for information about the Cunningham family of Patrickswell  (Read 596 times)

Offline JamesSE22

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for information about the Cunningham family of Patrickswell
« on: Thursday 27 August 20 14:18 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of Arthur Cunningham, he was born in Alexandria Egypt in 1887, had brothers Jack (John), James and sister Anne. A half sister Helen (Nellie) was born of his father's second marriage to his mother's sister.
He and his 3 brothers were educated at Radcliffe College in Leicestershire.
He later served in the British army in Constantinople and Alexandria, I have a feeling he served in WWI.
His mother was a Miss Eileen Quinn from Dublin.
She died in 1897 or thereabouts in Egypt.
His father, James Alexander, was in the colonial service firstly in Calcutta India, then in Egypt in Alexandria.
His grandfather was a landowner in co Limerick at Patrickswell.
They had a house called Padraig's Castle and land there.
The house may no longer exist.
He build, or funded the building of St John's Cathedral in Limerick and he donated land and built houses on the close.
My great grandfather left Ireland in the 1860s after disagreeing with his father over his marriage to Eileen Quinn.
His father had organised a marriage for him but my G grandfather wanted to marry for love not land.
This could all be nonsense as it coincides a bit too neatly with the potato famine and could be a story used to veil the family's embarrassment about having to leave.
So, is there anyone out there who can help me trace my family origins as I can only currently go back 3 generations and I'm very keen to know about my ancestry.
If it helps the Cunningham family were catholics escaping persecution under Elizabeth I and then they tried to return to Scotland but were chased out again under James I when they landed in Dublin.
They went to Limerick in the 1720s to be beyond the pale.
That's about as much as I know and it could all be rubbish.
HELP.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information about the Cunningham family of Patrickswell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 August 20 17:17 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat
Where did James Alexandar Cunningham and Eileen Quinn marry?
Do you know James' father's name.

Patrick's Well is in the Civil Parish of Kilkeedy
https://www.johngrenham.com/c_parish/c_parish_main.php?civilparishid=1586&county=&civilparish=Kilkeedy

I don't see any Cunningham in Kilkeedy Civil Parish at the time of Griffith's Valuation (print date 1850)
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch