Author Topic: Diary - Thursday 27th August  (Read 798 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Thursday 27th August
« on: Thursday 27 August 20 23:01 BST (UK) »
Well keeping fingers crossed we don't post at the same time tonight!

My day

Woke up in the early hours... had to read for a while to get back to sleep..
OH off to golf early this morning so had the peace and quiet of the house to myself...
Decided after I'd showered to vacuum the upstairs... unbelievable how many leaves had blown in the front bedroom window and were scattered all over the carpet... looked almost like a woodland glade... the windows always open what ever the weather...
Had lateish breakfast at this point the weather still looked quite nice outside so striped one of the beds and got it into the machine.. the sheets that is not the bed.. 😁
Was busy reading whilst waiting for the machine to finish...
Had a long phone chat with new friend R and it was good to hear different news and to chew over how we both felt about this situation... hard to know how to go forward safely but both wanting to get back to some sort of normality.... we still don't feel comfortable about returning to exercise classes so will have to see how it goes...
After our chat decided needed to get some birthday cards made as have got lot of them in September... haven't had a card making spell for a while so settled down to get on with it... my sons needs doing first as post to Oz seems to take forever... he's still not had face coverings I posted over two weeks ago...
OH arrived home at gone 2pm and we had lunch together as realised I hadn't had any...
Started to rain so had to dash out to rescue washing... not that warm either today..
Continued with card making...
made up bed and the boys beds too as duvet covers all ironed, they look lovely with their shark and underwater creatures covers... not sure when they'll be sleeping in the beds again....
We had cod cooked with whole grain mustard spread over them and in the oven ontop of mushrooms, tomatoes, sliced potatoes and I added some herbs. Green beans, asparagus and aubergine...
Watched some tv... nothing to write home about...
Still raining when I came to bed...
Going to have a good read now...
That's it for today..... not wildly exciting..
Daughter and family off to North Wales tomorrow for a week.... good luck with the journey and the weather!

Hope others have had a better day.
So very sorry to hear Viktoria's news about her dear friend and hope we can all support her. Thinking about you Viktoria you're such a lovely lady.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Thursday 27th August
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 August 20 23:39 BST (UK) »
Have formed an orderly queue tonight!  :D

You've managed to pack plenty into your day Caroline, I've done some bits the same as you but nowhere near as much. Card making sounds great, it must be lovely for your family to get something so personal. Hope your daughter and family have a lovely holiday and some dry weather.
Yes, thinking about Viktoria too

Diary  :

Was awake till 4am, not deliberately, couldn't get to sleep,so haven't felt particularly lively all day.

Read the news, none of it very uplifting. Had a long phone conversation with a friend, cheered me up.   :) Was about to go out for my daily walk, the sky started getting really dark so I then decided to wait until after lunch. Was going to change the bed but got sidetracked and forgot about it.

Had lunch, the rain hadn't arrived and it was brighter again. Went the other route round to the field, every day is so much the same that I try to make even a small change. Came home and did a few things on the computer. My friend's house move went well today, sent her a card via Moonpig to her new home . Did some hoovering downstairs. Both lawns need cutting but I felt tired so left them. Probably too wet anyway, we've had so much rain. It actually held off today till teatime despite the sky looking threatening several times .

Took a portion of curry out of the freezer for tea because it was easy. A bit of TV, realised when I came upstairs later  to run my bath that I hadn't changed the bed, the duvet was still pulled back ready to strip it. Oh dear, I won't win housekeeper of the year!  ;D Will have to wait till tomorrow when hopefully I'll feel more like it. Have lost my mojo these last few days, the grey skies don't spur me on to do anything much. Would have liked to go to the beach tomorrow but forecast is 90% chance of heavy rain until mid afternoon so I don't think I'll be going there. A lot more rain across the whole country I think, it's been cooler here today too, had to wear a sweatshirt this evening.

Hope everyone is okay.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 August 20 03:12 BST (UK) »
Think I missed a day although nothing exciting happened.

Sorry to hear about your dear friends fall, Viktoria - how wonderful to have such lovely memories of your time with her family.

Woke up to an overcast day - predicted cooler (it was) but no rain - (there was).   Started raining around 2.30 and lasted into the evening.  Why do I continue reading these forecasts when they are almost  always wrong!  Met. Office always used to be pretty good with their forecasts but this year they seem to have gone to pot, almost always wrong for my area.

Nothing of any note done today either - amended grocery order for tomorrow.   Ordered some baby knitting patterns but not the wool.    Prefer to see and feel wool myself before I purchase.  Haven't knitted for twins before so will be strange doing 2 of everything.

Just got something out of freezer to eat tonight and watched some more George Gently followed by The Coroner.

Ought to be in bed so think I should head there now.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 August 20 08:42 BST (UK) »
Good morning All.
We have sunshine this morning despite a shocking past few days and a dodgy forecast.
Glad the scissors turned up. :D
Well done everyone on keeping busy.... I am knee deep in masses of family of my paternal great grandfather.... SO complicated! 
Roobarb, some lateral thinking for your very special 2020 xmas card..... methinks you could create a full portfolio of ideas, before modifying a few, and final selection.  Or alternatively you could send out all individually painted, rather than paying for printing.  That should keep you fully engaged for ages!!  I WISH I had that much talent and skill.
Going to visit recently widowed SiL today.... she has been gloss painting and papering her hall, stairs and landing. Impressive.
Engineer yourselves a pleasing day.
Special hug to Viktoria, (and RTL on another set of gruelling night duties). :-*
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 August 20 14:27 BST (UK) »
Annette, do you use the app for the Met Office forecast and if so do you use the UK Weather Map further down? It shows the areas of the predicted rainfall for the next 24 hours, you scroll through it by hour. I find it a bit better than the basic forecast that the first bit takes you to, although it's not always precise. I also use the forecast for a nearby place, I'm not sure whereabouts in my town the forecast is taken from but I sometimes find the nearby village more accurate.

Mowsehowse, glad you've got some sunshine today, you seem to have had some dreadful weather recently.
I have been thinking about several options for my Christmas card but I draw the line at painting individual ones! I'd have to aim for Christmas 2025  ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 August 20 15:20 BST (UK) »
Weather these days is very hit and miss but I have to say in our region it's usually pretty accurate.... having said that we should have rain this afternoon and it's now quite sunny but we do keep getting the odd quick shower.... not helpful when thinking about hanging washing out 😢

Mowsehowse lovely to see you adding to the diary post...perhaps by now you'll only be ankle deep in your paternal family! You're lucky to have that many you can find to be even ankle deep in let alone knee deep... mine are just scraps here and there and all very frustrating! Think they've fallen off the planet...

I know what you mean Roobarb.... hence why I have to start my cards early on... well I think about it but usually I'm against the wall and I'm in my work room for hours, days... OH does a great deal of cooking then and supplying with drinks be it tea coffee or wine!
He say why don't you buy cards for the village 😱😱😱 they all know I make them and I'm constantly told how they appreciate a hand made one...
 I always intend in January to continue making for the coming year as it's all fresh in the mind and I have all the right papers, card etc to hand... in all the years I've been making them I've never carried that thought through as after Christmas the last thing you want to do it make more!!
My mistake was once you start you set a precedent and you can't then go backwards....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 August 20 10:34 BST (UK) »
Fair enough Roobarb.... I was only thinking it would be an absorbing and creative project for you on days when it is too cold and wet for gardening.

I have been very grateful to my library for home access to Ancestry and wanted to exploit it to the max.  Largely searching 19th century with enormous numbers of children to each couple, in Germany, but mainly very sad outcomes.  I do think it is important to collate and set down the facts for future generations should they have a vague interest.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 August 20 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the suggestion Mowsehowse, I'm just such a slow worker, it takes me all my time to complete one in time for Christmas.  ;D
Have just realised my pun ... 'draw the line at ....'  :D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 August 20 20:29 BST (UK) »
I did note it, Roobarb. Thought it was intended. :D