Author Topic: ancestors Jones / Price 1901 llanelli (possible gypsy links)  (Read 2472 times)

Offline ancestors2021

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ancestors Jones / Price 1901 llanelli (possible gypsy links)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 18:39 GMT (UK) »
i did buy there marriage certificate and they married on the 15th january 1924 in llanelly

it says noah (my great grandfather) was 22 years old and kathleen jones (my great grandmother) was 18 years old ,
it does say "kathleen jones" dad was "David Jones" (Builder,s haulier) and they lived in "17 The Allt Llangennech" (looked online for this address back in 1924 found nothing) ,

Witnesses present at the wedding were : "Alice Maud Price" And "Mary Jenkins"

Point is on there gravestone it states "catherine ann price" 1906-1975 (not 1905)
And it says that my great grandad Noah 1901-1973
i know that noah passed away before catherine because the family tale is , my nana catherine said that noah had come to her in a dream and said "dont sit right by the fire" and she was found dead in front of the fire ,

i think her name was defiantly catherine ann , but why the marriage certifictae says different i dont know ,

one family member said that my great grandmother catherine , her mum couldnt bring her up so she went to live with "Granny May" whom had 17 children and they lived in port talbot or neath
my grandad told me some tales of the times they went to visit granny may and that she was known by everyone , people whom were sat at a table in a club would stand up for her to sit down ,

(another thing one family member said was she was nicknamed "katie" )
noah was also "deaf and dumb" it states on documents i found online , so were 2 of his brothers "Amos Price" and "Fredrick Nelson Price"

and that she met my great grandad noah in a nursing home in llanelly , he delivered medicine in his horse and cart ,

ive been non stop researching for months of anything of "Granny May" as her children must know some things of my great grandmother ,

for the person looking for "Mary Price" , Noahs Sister was called "Mary Blodwen Price" 1883 she married a man called "manual" surname was also price ,
married in August 1926 in Aberystwyth (not sure if this is the same one)

if Anyone knows of any of the gypsy sites were called in neath , aberdare , port talbot between 1910-1970,s , i may be able to find pictures etc

THANK YOU to all who replied x

Offline astonmorgan

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ancestors Jones / Price 1901 llanelli (possible gypsy links)
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 January 22 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My 2x great grandparents are Noah and Catherine Price. Their daughter Nancy is my great grandmother.

I’m not sure if you are still looking for a Granny May but my grandfather and his siblings also remember going to visit a Granny May from Neath.
Luckily, me and my grandfather were able to figure out where she lived when they went to visit.

May lived in Goytre in Neath, Emroch Street to be exact. I’ve found images of her from Facebook groups and also a lot of newspaper articles about her and her children. They tended to get into trouble with the law quite often but my grandfather remembers them as being the nicest and funniest people.

As far as Catherine/Kathleen goes, I’m also at a bit of a loss.

From what I’ve been told by getting in touch with cousins on that side of the family Catherine had a falling out with her mother/ran away from home and moved to live with an aunt on a farm. I’m not 100% certain if this is correct. Maybe the aunt was Granny May? She met Noah shortly after and they lived on a railway carriage and were the first people to live in 1 Heol Daniel.

I’m still in touch with people and hope to find out more soon!