Author Topic: James Barnaby. Can anyone succeed where I've failed?  (Read 639 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Barnaby. Can anyone succeed where I've failed?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 08:09 BST (UK) »
As they moved around a lot probably with his father working at different coal mines he possibly wasn't sure where he was born!
Where does he give pob as penrhiwceiber??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 09:49 BST (UK) »
In 1911 it's transcribed as Penrhiwcester but see opening post.  Daughter Violet has same birthplace.  No county shown on original image.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7PS-JJL
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 10:19 BST (UK) »
HI   
Regarding the third message the village spelt  Tylorstown  and Ystradyfodwg is now known as RHondda   (RCT) Glamorgan         
Penrhiwceiber is a small Welsh village and community (and electoral ward) in the county borough of Rhondda Cynon Taf that lies south of the town Aberpennar and north of the village of Tyntetown, and is one of many villages that lies within the Cynon Valley.
Violet  Ann Barnaby birth was registered in Pontypridd which is  7miles away from  Penrhiwceiber, Mountain Ash             Violet  Ann Barnaby   died  1928 registered Newport

The original place of birth for James and especially his daughter on the 1911 census looks like Penrhiwceiber.

Best wishes

Heddwch

Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 15:50 BST (UK) »
I wondered if maybe his father had gone to work at penrhiwceiber coal mine which (from memory so check it) opened round about the time of James birth - I know some of mine who were Derbyshire born moved to Doncaster when young as their father went to work at the "big pit" and some give their pob as Doncaster
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone, to be honest I'm just in awe at your abilities with lateral thinking! It looks as if the Barnaby family as such arrived in Wales from Shropshire in the 1800s, so there is quite likely to be connections between all of them, which is excellent from my point of view. I'm trying to trace the father of an illegitimate child born in 1931 in Rhymney and the name mentioned in old paperwork is Barnaby with no other details.  I'd like to narrow it down to as few "potentials" as possible and then see what else I can come up with.  I have DNA to work with so I will just have to see what matches where. Thank you for the input, it's made the fog much clearer!