Author Topic: John BOTTOMLEY, Hull  (Read 629 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John BOTTOMLEY, Hull
« on: Friday 04 September 20 18:20 BST (UK) »
John Bottomley (son of John Bottomley & Mary Halliwell my 5xgtgdparents) died in 1822 in Gt Horton (just outside Bradford), leaving a Will full of bequests. "John Bottomley's widow Hull" received £40 as a legatee even though she wasn't mentioned in the Will itself.

I'm looking for the parentage of the John Bottomley in Hull; the surname of his wife Sarah might help.

There seems to be just one Bottomley family group in Hull around the time. Many, if not all, later events involving Bottomleys in Hull & Sculcoates suggest they lead back to this one family group:
Burial : 23-5-1797 Hull : Ann dau of John Bottomley 
Bapt : 22-4-1799 Hull : David son of John Bottomley
Bapt : 6-4-1801 Holy Trinity, Hull : Rebecca dau Jno. & Sarah Bottomley
Bapt : 23-12-1804 St Mary, Hull : James to John & Sarah Bottomley
Bapt : 7-8-1808 St Mary, Hull : Jeremiah to John & Sarah Bottomley
Bapt : 4-11-1810 St Mary, Hull : Benjamin to John & Sarah Bottomley
no bapt found, but there was Martha Bottomley b abt 1816
no bapt found, but there was William Bottomley b abt 1818
Bapt: 3-1-1820 St Mary, Hull : John to John & Sarah Bottomley.
They look to be all the same family group. I have no more details of their births/baptism.

An Ancestry tree states (I don't know the source) that Hull's John Bottomley was a "Corn meter". As I understand it that's a job on the quayside, don't know whether it was for Weights & Measures purposes or something else. I guess it was a responsible and respectable job.

A widow Sarah Bottomley is recorded in two censuses:-
- 1851 Chapel Lane Alms House, Hull age 71 b Bradford
- 1861 Harrison's Hospital, Hull age 83 b Bradford
Presumably this is her: FreeBMD: 4q1863 Hull Sarah Bottomley

Son Benjamin Bottomley had a stint in Bradford before returning to Hull/Sculcoates, so there are clear Bradford connections. But I'm trying to discover exactly where Hull's John fitted in.

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John BOTTOMLEY, Hull
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 20 14:06 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,
I have been trying to find a marriage for John Bottomley and i did find one for John Bottomley to Sally Hague in Bradford 14 May 1796.  Obviously this is not Sarah, but i went to have a search for other names for Sally and it said this was also a pet name for Sarah, which could possibly be the person you are looking for.
I can also tell you that there are other children in Hull for John & his wife Sarah, plus i have found quite a few burials for their children,
Best,
Gogogadgetlegs (Phil)
Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Phil, thanks for replying.

The John Bottomley Sally Hague marriage is indeed timely. John Bottomley h/o Sally Hague was a soldier in "6th Train Artillery" upon marriage. But I've no evidence that they moved from Bradford to Hull. On the contrary: Mary Bottomley bapt 15 Jul 1804 d/o John & Sally Bottomley of Northowram (Halifax) would seem to be their child, and if so this precludes John Bottomley & Sally Hague being the Hull couple.

There is another John & Sally Bottomley: John Bottomley & Sally Hardy of Shelf (Halifax) who marr 25 Sep 1796 Halifax.

One or the other are my 3xgtgdparents (I prefer the latter couple), so I have about as much as there is to have about both couples.

What other children have you found? And burials? I have found various details about their children and their respective marriages but nothing that helps identity their parents' origins. The nearest is son Benjamin marrying Sarah Leach and having two children in Bradford before returning to Sculcoates shortly after 1841.

What I'm looking for is evidence in Hull of John Bottomley's parentage and/or his wife's surname.

Lastly, I do have two other references to Bottomleys in Hull, in the shape of two Wills:
1745 Daniel Bottomley gentleman, in Shoreditch (London):  "George Bottomley of Hull ... Pilot"
1794 Joseph Bottomley carpenter & sashmaker in St Luke Old St (London): "children of my uncle and aunt Robert and Mary Bottomley late of Hull"
I haven't been able to establish any connection of the people mentioned with my Bottomley tree in Bradford and Halifax, but it does show there could have been Bottomleys in Hull for decades.

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 14:48 BST (UK) »
THis is my 2nd attempt at sending this email, deleted it somehow so here goes in no particular order:-

John Bottomley, poss bapt 25 Dec 1775, Wibsey, Bradford Father James. Marr Sarah Hagur 14 May 1796 Bradford. Sarah poss bapt, 01 Feb 1778 Bradford Father James.
Children of the above,
Benjamin Bapt 04 Nov 1810 St Mary,
James Bapt 23 Dec 1804 Bur 27 Nov 1808, St Mary.
Jerimiah, Bapt 07 Aug 1808 St MaryBur25 Sep 1808 St Mary,
Martha bapt 02 July 1815 St Mary, Married , Edward Ward, Bach, age 38yrs Martha 39yrs in Sculcoates Father John Bottomley, Says Farmer for Occ, and John Ward (Cow Keeper)
Rebecca bapt 06 April 1801 St Mary.  Married William Holmes, Bach, Mariner, 16 Oct 1825, Sculcoates. Witnessed by John & Martha Brown.
Also found these but no baptism's,
Sarah Bottomley, Burial 23 Dec 1804 daug of John Bottomley,
David Bottomley, Burial 27 Sept 1815, aqged 10yrs born c1805.
I hope these are of some help in finding your ancestors,  I can also tell you that on the baptisms John Bottomley was down as a Labourer apart from Martha's Wedding to Edward Ward.
Best,
Phil.
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
o

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Phil. I've now delved some more - and with some success I hope!

1. You said <<John Bottomley, poss bapt 25 Dec 1775 Father James>>
This is the baptism of my 3xgtgdfather, so I can say with certainty that that baptism isn't for the Hull John Bottomley.

2. You said <<Sarah poss bapt, 01 Feb 1778 Bradford Father James>>
In fact the father's name is David, per the actual register: "1 Feb 1778 Sarah of David Haigh of Bradford Cordwainer" - Bradford St Peter. This David Haigh (or Hague) had several children, and it turns out one was Hiram David Hague bpt 30 Nov 1788 Bradford.

3. You missed out son John bpt 3 Jan 1820 Hull. He and his family turn out to be quite well documented. Of big relevance, I found he has a child Hiram Bottomley born 1q1861 Sculcoates. And when he married in 2q1884 Sculcoates, he gave his name as Hiram Hague Bottomley. Even at age 3m, he appears in the census as Hiram H Bottomley, so the Hague middlename was given by his parents.

The juxtaposition of the names David and Hiram both in the Bottomley family in Hull and the Haigh family in Bradford, and the eventual appearance of Hague as a middlename, is encouraging. I need to assess, if I can, the significance of all this. There's definitely a case to be argued that Hull's John & Sarah are soldier John Bottomley & Sally Hague.

Trouble is, I'm failing abysmally identifying soldier John's parentage. Still, a step forward is a step forward! Any idea of when Hull's John Bottomley died?

Thanks again for your input. 

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 September 20 09:08 BST (UK) »
Apologies, i did miss off the Parents or wrongly told you, i have MS and been in garden most of the morning so i was not in a good place, but tomorrow is another day.
Yes have a burial for John Bottomley and it was the 24 Feb 1874 Aged 55yrs. Missed off.
Will haved a look through MI's for Hull and get back to you on that, may have others buried in same grave.
Phil
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
o

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 September 20 22:23 BST (UK) »
Didn't mean to sound critical, apologies if you felt I came over like that.

I don't suppose there's a burial record for John Bottomley senior? The 1874 burial is for his son of course.

It was "John Bottomley's widow Hull" who, around April 1822, got the legacy from the Will of (another!) John Bottomley back in Bradford. The Hull family weren't mentioned in the Will (dozens of others were though) and for some reason the executors decided to give said widow £40, maybe because her husband had just died and left the family destitute.

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 September 20 13:59 BST (UK) »
No, i did not for one minute think you where being critical in any way.
There is a burial for John Bottomley (Snr) husband of Sarah 10 Jan 1823 St Mary Hull aged 50yrs, he is of Cooks Building.  Wife Sarah Buried 06 Dec 1863 Sculcoates.
Also found a Bapt/burial for another David Bottomley, bapt 23 May 1797 Holy Trinity, Hull father John Bottomley of Cook's Court, Burial, 27 Sept 1815 Aged 16yrs, i do not know if he is related to your John Bottomley but sending it anyway, unlikely to have two sons with the same name.
Also a Burial for Ann Bottomley daur of John 23 May 1797 Holy Trinity, Hull.
Hiram Haigh Bottomley 23yrs Oil Miller marr Jenny Tiplady, 20yrs, Father, Thomas, Labourer. 21 Jan 1884, Sculcoates, witnessed by Benjamin West & Olive May Bottomley.  Banns called 1st, 8th & 15th June 1884. Transcribed as Fanny, but reads Jenny on Certificate and Banns record.
There is a piece in the Hull Daily Mail for Hiram who found a body of a suicide victim in the River.
17th April 1906.
Also found baptisms for James Bottomley, 02 Feb 1851, and burials for a John Thomas 02 Dec 1864, Martha 15 Sept 1867.
Also a baptism for a John Bottomley illegitimate son of a Rose Hannah Bottomley, Spinster,of Sculcoates Union. 26 June 1867. Buried 07 Feb 1868
Best,
Phil
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
o

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 September 20 18:10 BST (UK) »
Phil, thanks for the additional info.

The 10 Jan 1823 burial for John Bottomley has been pivotal. I managed to work out that the Legatee List, where these Hull Bottomleys appear for the first time, was produced a day or two before 17 Feb 1823 when the Solicitor presented it to the Executors, having paid the Legacies and associated Duty. So, John Bottomley's widow Sarah/Sally Hague was the beneficiary. Her age upon her burial fits exactly with her being dau of David Hague in Gt Horton / Bradford.

Almost all their children were given family names: all four gdparents, both parents, and possibly even a gdfather. With 'unusual' (to Bottomley) names from the Hague family in Bradford appearing in Hull (Hiram, David and Hague itself), the weight of evidence is now persuasive.

One anomaly is eldest dau? Ann Bottomley whose forename doesn't seem to come from anywhere. There's no baptism for her, only that 1797 burial in Hull.

One non-fitting forename is Benjamin, but Benjamin is a name that recurs in my Bradford/Halifax Bottomleys, and most especially there's a legatee Benjamin Bottomley of London who has proved impossible to identify. I can at least surmise he is a brother of Hull's John Bottomley, thus keeping the nice symmetry that every one of John's siblings were legatees.

That's quite a chunky family group that I've been able to position. Only taken 20 years!

Thanks again for your help.