Author Topic: New ethnicity splits on Ancestry  (Read 4753 times)

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New ethnicity splits on Ancestry
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 17 September 20 16:16 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I lost my lovely little cat a few years ago, she was actually nearly 20 years old when that photo was taken.
Muckley, Routledge, Roe, Bontoft, Brumpton, Bills, Aspatria, Carlisle

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 17 September 20 16:25 BST (UK) »
Has anyone else got an email from Ancestry saying the following...?

As you may know, we’re constantly evolving the technology and methods behind AncestryDNA®. Using a combination of scientific expertise, the world’s largest online consumer DNA database, and millions of family trees linked with DNA results, we’re releasing our most precise DNA update yet.

With this latest update, you’ll notice that we now have four regions in the UK and Ireland, rather than two; England & Northwestern Europe, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland. Because the DNA from our reference groups in Scotland and England are so similar, it’s possible that if you have English ethnicity, particularly northern England, you may now find an increased percentage of Scotland in your results and vice versa.

While your DNA doesn’t change, the science we use to determine your ethnicity results does. As we continue to advance our science, you will see even more updates in the future.

Millions of family trees linked with DNA results. Worrying.

I note the north-west tip of France is attached to Ireland and Scotland under their mapping system.

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 17 September 20 16:45 BST (UK) »
Feels like someone in their team has been singing Scotland the Brave a lot!  ;D
Houghton - Lancashire, inc. Manchester
Robertson - Angus
Collinge - Yorkshire, Lancashire, USA
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 17 September 20 16:55 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I lost my lovely little cat a few years ago, she was actually nearly 20 years old when that photo was taken.

Sorry. I know how devastating it is to lose a cat. I lost my Daisy nearly 2 years ago now and I still look for her sometimes, thinking she should be indoors by now. She was only 15.

Your cat looks so small in the picture - just like a kitten. Very pretty.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 17 September 20 17:37 BST (UK) »
From an e-mail that I've just received from Ancestry:

Because the DNA from our reference groups in Scotland and England are so similar, it’s possible that if you have English ethnicity, particularly northern England, you may now find an increased percentage of Scotland in your results and vice versa.

I assume everyone who has done a test  has had one  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 17 September 20 19:14 BST (UK) »

With this latest update, you’ll notice that we now have four regions in the UK and Ireland, rather than two; England & Northwestern Europe, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland. Because the DNA from our reference groups in Scotland and England are so similar, it’s possible that if you have English ethnicity, particularly northern England, you may now find an increased percentage of Scotland in your results and vice versa.

That's an interesting point about English and Scottish DNA being so similar. FTDNA played safe by saying simply that I had 52% British Isles ancestry. MyHeritage specifically said I had 62% Irish/Scottish/Welsh but no English DNA, so they made a distinction. The no English bit is odd because I know for a fact that my Stephenson ancestors on my mother's side were from Northumberland although I have to go back to my 3 x great-grandfather to find the most recent one  actually born in Northumberland.

Harry

Offline gizmo303

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 19 September 20 10:36 BST (UK) »
Regarding ethnicity queries over accuracy - have people honestly accounted for all their autosomal matches. I rest my case.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 19 September 20 10:49 BST (UK) »
That argument would hold if Ancestry used pure science to work out ethnicity but a large part of it is based on what they find in people’s trees and there is a high level of inaccuracy in these as a source.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 19 September 20 11:07 BST (UK) »
That argument would hold if Ancestry used pure science to work out ethnicity but a large part of it is based on what they find in people’s trees and there is a high level of inaccuracy in these as a source.
The most accurate data they have is the Irish data, which I suspect was acquired from the Irish DNA Atlas which was a detailed study that took people with eight great grandparents all born within the same area to build a genetic map of Ireland. The data for a similar, but not quite as thorough (four grandparents) project for England & Wales, the People of the British Isles study, is used by Living DNA. There was a similar study for Scotland more recently done but I don't know whether any of the companies has yet acquired the data

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/genetic-map-shows-dark-age-scottish-kingdoms-live-todays-scots-1408678
https://www.pnas.org/content/116/38/19064