Author Topic: Sarah Broom in Albert Road Southampton  (Read 293 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Broom in Albert Road Southampton
« on: Tuesday 08 September 20 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am researching the Broom family from Topsham in Devon. on the 26th February 1860 a single woman called Jane Broom had a baby girl called Sarah in Southampton at 4 Albert Road.
I can find no reason why she would have been there. Jane married the next year and her husband was working on the railways so would have moved around the country but the baby didn't get him name later which happened a lot in her family. It is an amazing family of illegitimate births and multiple marriages to the same men so i am struggling a bit with it.
I am hoping that someone will recognise the address and it will be something significant like a hospital or a workhouse which might help to explain the mystery. Other single mum's in her family stayed at home with the babies so i don't think it was shame or being sent away.
Thanks
Alison

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Broom in Albert Road Southampton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 10:23 BST (UK) »
In the 1861 census, 4 Albert Road is the home of John Gandy, a "cook & beer retailer" from Dibden, Hants, and family: wife Ann from Welshpool, three teenage children (a mariner, a barmaid and a cook) and two lodgers.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Broom in Albert Road Southampton
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ
Thank you
I tried to find the house but wasn't getting anywhere without a name for the home owner. I will follow up this family and see if it takes me anywhere, Jane's future husband was the son of a victualler so there may be a connection here - thanks again
Alison