Author Topic: The Genealogist Website  (Read 530 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The Genealogist Website
« on: Thursday 10 September 20 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Hope someone might be able to advise me here. Is there anyone who uses The Genealogist website a lot? I am trying to locate some wills and PR entries on there but when I search nothing comes up.

One will is for Robert Dixon of Selling, Kent and took place in 1680.

Another is a will for Amye Cleeveland of Wye dated 1628 [probate 1629]

I have the details for both of these and other Kent wills from the Canterbury Cathedral Probate Website however whenever I look for any will or surname in Kent nothing seems to come up. Have they ignored Kent?

The same applies to Sussex, so far despite knowing the exact probate dates and having the references from county record offices I can't see any Sussex or Surrey wills on the website.

The website claims to have loads of resources but no matter what I look for [even a baptism in the 19th century] I come up against a brick wall.

Am I doing this wrong?

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks
Matt

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Genealogist Website
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 September 20 02:26 BST (UK) »
The majority of wills on the Genealogist are for the Prerogative Court of Canterbury.

All they have for Kent is a few browsable books:
Genealogical Abstracts of Wills, Register Wootton, 1658
Kent Records Vol III - A Calendar of Wills
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Genealogist Website
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 September 20 20:37 BST (UK) »
The majority of wills on the Genealogist are for the Prerogative Court of Canterbury.

All they have for Kent is a few browsable books:
Genealogical Abstracts of Wills, Register Wootton, 1658
Kent Records Vol III - A Calendar of Wills

Thanks for that info.

Matt