Author Topic: Anybody with access to Kilmarnock and Loudoun pre 1855 MIs?  (Read 416 times)

Offline A Whiteford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Anybody with access to Kilmarnock and Loudoun pre 1855 MIs?
« on: Thursday 10 September 20 11:50 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in any listings for Wyl(l)ie and Morton.  Thomas Wyllie and Jean Morton banns were declared at Craigie by Kilmarnock (Jean's parish) and Kilmaurs (Thomas) in April 1806. Their son George was born at Craigie in Dec 1806.

I visited Scotland before the Church at Craigie was sold and closed off.  I couldn't find any trace of either surname in the graveyard next to the Church (although I did get some lovely late afternoon photos across the graveyard and Church).

On IGI there is a Jane Morton christened 13 Apr 1779 at Craigie, father Thomas Morton and mother Mrs Thomas Morton (very useful).

There is also a Jean Morton born about 1783 with a spouse Thomas Wyllie and a child Mary bn 1811 in Symington.

If anybody has access to the MIs I would be very appreciative of a check of these surnames.

Thanks Anne

Bouffier/Buffier (Germany), Brennan (Athlone Wmeath), Galvin (Innes, Clare), Mackay (Athlone, Wmeath), McGrath (Tyrone), Morton (Ayrshire) Smith (Blackwater Bridge, Cavan), Smith (Ardnamurchan Sco), Smythe (Dublin); Whiteford (Antrim & then Argyll), Wyl(l)ie (Ayrshire)

guest189040

Re: Anybody with access to Kilmarnock and Loudoun pre 1855 MIs?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 September 20 12:38 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Scotlands People website?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 September 20 12:57 BST (UK) »
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk is a pay per view site with a free index.

For the period you are interested in you need to select Church Registers as these cover the period to 1854.  Statutory Registration was introduced in 1855
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline A Whiteford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 September 20 13:20 BST (UK) »
Yes. I have stacks of records from ScotslandsPeople and have spent a few very enjoyable days researching my Scottish families there, but no luck with this lot unfortunately.
Bouffier/Buffier (Germany), Brennan (Athlone Wmeath), Galvin (Innes, Clare), Mackay (Athlone, Wmeath), McGrath (Tyrone), Morton (Ayrshire) Smith (Blackwater Bridge, Cavan), Smith (Ardnamurchan Sco), Smythe (Dublin); Whiteford (Antrim & then Argyll), Wyl(l)ie (Ayrshire)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 September 20 14:58 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.