Author Topic: 1st foot/8th regiment Kings  (Read 5458 times)

Offline seasider53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1st foot/8th regiment Kings
« on: Friday 11 September 20 15:15 BST (UK) »
Afternoon. I am trying to locate service details for my Grt. Grand-Father, Daniel KENNEDY.
Born 1841, Tipperary, Ireland

I have a GRO copy of his marriage on 1st Sept 1868 in Malta. His occupation is stated as Sgt 1/8th regiment.
I have enquired with the museum of Liverpool who have advised that they have no records, however they appear to only have researched WW1 & WW2 which are outside the dates he would've served.
By 1891 he is retired from the Army and holds the position of the Chief Warder at Corradino Prison in Malta (details from his Daughters marriage certificate)
He died on 17 Feb 1923 in Malta.

I would be grateful for any advice, hints etc on how to track his service record and his position at the prison down.
Leach/Prigg - Cambridge
Draper/Munford - Norfolk
Nicholas/Donlan/Thurston/Leach - India
Harrison/Cunningham - Durham
Caine/Harrison - Ireland

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1st foot/8th regiment Kings
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 September 20 17:11 BST (UK) »
The only Daniel Kennedy of the 8th Foot who appears is 539 Private Daniel Kennedy who served in 2nd Battalion, born Athlone 1840  His discharge papers of 1877 (with the number wrongly transcribed as 530) are on Findmypast, pension papers are on Ancestry (also with 530 wrongly transcribed).  There are also his entries in 1861 and 1871 in the army worldwide index which are taken from the National Archives documents WO 12/2637 (2nd Battalion in Gibraltar) and 1871 WO 12/2647 (2nd Battalion in Manchester).  These are the muster books for 2nd Battalion. 

This guide https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-up-to-1913/ shows what might exist and where although on line sources seem only to have the man above.
 The muster books for 1st Battalion are here:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=1st+battalion+8th+foot+muster&_p=1800
If you are able to find Sgt Daniel Kennedy in 1868 then you would be able to work back and forth to reconstruct his service dates. This can of course only be done at Kew.

Presumably records for the prison are with the Maltese government?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline seasider53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 September 20 18:53 BST (UK) »
MaxD. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my query.

I had previously found this Daniel Kennedy but have ruled him out as my Daniel remained in Malta till his death in 1923
He is a proper spanner in the works!This Daniel KENNEDY was enlisted to the 8th regiment ( service no 530) & almost fits my criteria, however when he is medically discharged in 1868 (chronic Bronchitis) his intended residence is 23 Cooper Street, Leeds.
I have found him in the 1871 & 1881 census residing at this address with his Wife & 2 children at the Cooper Street address
He married in Malta in 1868, 2nd Wife in 1886, 3rd wife in 1903
My Grt Grand Fathers service history is still a mystery.
Leach/Prigg - Cambridge
Draper/Munford - Norfolk
Caine/Harrison - Ireland

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 September 20 02:10 BST (UK) »
According to this site: https://www.maltaramc.com/regmltgar/1st8th.html

20 Mar 1866 The 1st/8th Regiment disembarked in Malta from Kingstown, Ireland
10 Oct 1868 The 1st/8th embarked for Bombay, where it arrived on 3 November

If Daniel didn't leave Malta with the regiment in 1868 then, assuming he wasn't medically discharged, he wasn't in the army long enough to qualify for a pension and his service record would have been destroyed.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline seasider53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 14:29 BST (UK) »
JoMot.  Thank you for this information.  I now suspect that Daniel stayed in Malta after coming out of the Army, prior to the regiment leaving the Island.
Shame that I cannot find service papers, they may have answered a few questions.
Leach/Prigg - Cambridge
Draper/Munford - Norfolk
Caine/Harrison - Ireland