Author Topic: Clerkenwell Court Sessions  (Read 399 times)

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clerkenwell Court Sessions
« on: Saturday 12 September 20 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I've come across a criminal register record for Frederick Hodgett on 1st May 1865 for shop breaking but I was wondering if there is anywhere online that would list more details on the crime? I wanted to check if this is 'my' Frederick Hodgett and was hoping there would be some details in the case I could clarify? I have tried searching newspaper records but can't seem to find anything that relates.. I have also tried good old Google but before I start scouring the search results I wondered if anyone knew anywhere first?

Thanks  :)
Morralley, Morrallee, Moralee, Felton, Paxton, Schonbeck

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clerkenwell Court Sessions
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 September 20 21:45 BST (UK) »
Local papers?

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 September 20 03:57 BST (UK) »
Can't find him by name, however there are a number of articles about the start of the May sessions including this one from the Pall Mall Gazette,    Monday,  May 1, 1865

"The May General Sessions for Middlessex commenced this morning at the Sessions House, Clerkenwell-green, before Mr. Bodkin, Assistant-Judge, and a bench of magistrates. The calendar contains the names of eighty-two prisoners committed for trial, of whom seventy were indicted for felony, and twelve for misdemeanour. The state of education of the prisoners was reported to be as follows :- Can neither read nor write, 10; can read, 16; read and write imperfectly, 48; read and write well, 2. ..."

I'm wondering if he was tried on the 1 May or in the May sessions? I'll keep looking ...  :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 September 20 05:00 BST (UK) »
I can find mentions in newspapers of some of the others committed for trial at these sessions, including the 2 immediately above Frederick HODGETT on the return (reported on the 7th May), however no mention of him. Maybe his trial was not interesting enough to be reported.  :-\