Author Topic: Diary Saturday 12th September  (Read 493 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary Saturday 12th September
« on: Saturday 12 September 20 23:58 BST (UK) »
Haven't done much today. Was reading this morning, a bit of tidying around the house. Was going to empty the dishwasher but found that I hadn't actually turned it on last night so did that.

My hairdressing appointment was at 12.30, walked to my friend's house, it's not far. Sunny day but windy. Was feeling quite anxious, just as I have been with all experiences that have become new. My friend had all the proper precautions in place, was wearing a mask when I arrived. I soon settled down, it was nice to chat as well as having my hair done. It was particularly good when she washed my hair, the first human touch I've experienced in six months. Hair turned out well too.

Walked home, it was after two when I got back, hadn't eaten at all so made myself a sandwich and a cuppa. A little later had a long chat with a friend. Finally got round to emptying the dishwasher then put a chicken in to roast that I'd had delivered on Wednesday, it needed to be used today. Did veg and Yorkshire puds . Glass of wine and some TV, that's the extent of my Saturday nights these days. Every night in fact. Might get some gardening done tomorrow.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Saturday 12th September
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 September 20 00:49 BST (UK) »
Great to get your hair done!
It really brings it home when you talk about the first time in 6 months you've had physical contact with anyone... don't realise how important that is when you're not on your own... sobering comment!

Instead of noisy bins, dustmen telephone,alarm or traffic waking me up this morning... it was the crows or rooks never can tell the difference... that were clonking about on the flat roof throwing the moss onto the patio... my they were noisy...
up dressed and out reasonably early to the butchers, co-op and the bakers... quite busy in all of them so was pleased to be in and out as quickly as possible... standing in the bakers chap comes in... no face covering didn't sanitise ... l was wearing one as were the two shop assistants... I gave him a look, they looked a bit uncomfortable... nobody said anything as much as I wanted to make a comment... kept telling myself perhaps he had a reason...you just don't know... staff didn't say anything either...
Breakfast when I got home and logged in to make amendments to my shopping list... web site bit dodgy so was worried I'd add a whole load of items for it then to have a wobble but managed to log out ok thankfully!
Messaged S about bits needed for sewing, phoned local place I go to and they're going to give us 20% discount which is very helpful...
Phoned our friends whose birthday it is today, yesterday was his wife's! Not up to anything fancy probably go out for a walk...
OH busy watching Aussie rugby on tv so went to do some more sewing..
OH off to play golf... he didn't seem too enthusiastic... doesn't like starting mid afternoon...
Neighbour whose been away in their caravan for last couple of weeks dropped some bits off to me including two new 1000 piece jigsaws... one is of the pyramids... lots of sand and camels.... glad I'm not going to be doing that one! Other was a city scene with lots of buildings, should keep him quiet for a while too!
Had a very long chat with a friend... sat outside in the sun trimming and turning through coverings then up to my work room to press them... had my earphones in so could talk and work at the same time!
Got on with sewing but hadn't done much when got message to say he'd be home in about 40 mins...  earlier than originally said as they'd all had enough been behind very slow lot....
Started dinner, pork tenderloin which I coated in mixture of chilli oil, yogurt, whole grain mustard and garlic all mixed together, then had breadcrumbs, coriander seeds, sunflower seeds and pine nut all crushed in a mortar and pestle, covered coated meat in that, oven baked... new pots layered with mushroom and onions baked, broccoli spears and carrots... meat very tender cooked like that.. all washed down with couple glasses of wine
watched a  film...

That's it for today, been sunny but still windy and chilly when sun went in, should be getting warmer over next couple of days...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 September 20 03:37 BST (UK) »
I feel I should start writing down your recipes Caroline.  That tenderloin rub and coating sounds delicious.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 September 20 07:36 BST (UK) »
Saturday 12th September 1970 Started off very wet; bucketting down in fact. But this did not deter the bride from looking her beautiful best. It rained during the ceremony; it rained for most of the afternoon but gradually cleared up and when we set off for out honeymoon the sun was shining. We arrived at our "honeymoon hotel" in Bude around 9.30pm.
Just thinking back we had BB and evening meal for 13gns each; the rest of the week we spent in leisurely activities; a bit of touring around to see the countryside. I think we managed on about £20 plus a bit for petrol. What would that be in today's inflated currnecy?  But I digress!

Saturday 12th September 2020
This was to have been our celebration day. But our original plans were thwarted by Covid-19 and then with Nick's sudden passing, postponed to another day.
However the day dawned bright and sunny, if just little breezy. We had ordered a cake which had to be fetched and then our good friends Gordon and Mary called in for a coffee and chat.
Mark, in London, had set up a three-way Facetime meeting with Andrew (Australia) and so with just a couple of hiccups we sat down at 11 o'clock and spoke to the families and toasted our Golden Wedding Day. Just a little subdued of course but we knew that Nick was with us in spirit.
Postman Pat called with yet more cards.
Our afternoon plans were interupted when two friends of very long standing, pulled up on the drive and most of the afternoon was spent in the garden chatting and cutting the celebration cake.
We have a very good Italian restaurant in Radstock and we had booked for an early evening meal, which lived up to expectations.
So we were able in our own quiet(ish) way able to Celebrate this momentous occasion, but tinged with some sadness at the circumstances prevailing.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 September 20 07:39 BST (UK) »
I feel I should start writing down your recipes Caroline.  That tenderloin rub and coating sounds delicious.

Thanks Mckha!
Most of them come from looking on the internet! I just typed in pork tenderloin and picked the one that sounded tasty.... this one was from finecooking.com if you're interested....  I do adapt them to what I have in my store cupboard sometimes....

Caroline

Added :- jeff, it was lovely to read about your special days in both 1970 and 2020 . Many congratulations on your Golden Wedding Anniversary, although as you say tinged with a little sadness... it sounded as if you had a memorable day though with your three way face time, cake, dinner and good friends to share it with you.... these are extrodinary times indeed and for any celebration it's not easy to let your hair down.
Your wedding day sounded similar to ours (1973) .. rain for some of the time!
 My best wishes to you and your family and my thoughts are with you over this time.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 September 20 15:19 BST (UK) »
A bright sunny day with a brisk breeze.   Set off just after mid-day to go to my sisters and then we drove to Sproughton to meet friend G at 'The Shed' for afternoon tea to celebrate her birthday which was earlier in the week.   It really was a lovely place.   The tea was scrumptious but we couldn't eat it all so were given 'doggy bags' to take the remainder home which was a nice touch.   The 3 of us touched on the way of eating scones with cream and jam - my sister and G put cream on first with jam on the top - however, ever different, to me jam goes on first with cream on the top!   Is there a 'right' way or is it just personal choice?

When we got back to my sisters I stayed around an hour chatting to her and my b-in-l and then drove home.   Decided to sit outside for a while as wind had dropped and was joined by downstairs neighbour.   Couple in F5 returned from a day out and joined us - each of us had a drink and we spent a couple of hours chatting and laughing.   A nice end to the day.   

Didn't eat until after 9pm - my usual Saturday favourite, ASDA fish and chips.  Watched some house renovations on tv - love the before and after - and carried on with my knitting finally finishing the first garment.   Now to start jacket no.2.

All in all a good day and a change to the usual.

Annette   

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 September 20 17:54 BST (UK) »
Caroline, you always keep so busy, you must be setting some kind of a record with face covering production! What a pity that there are so many people around who don't think they need to abide by the rules, from what I'm told it's quite common around here too.

Jeff, good to hear that you were able to enjoy your anniversary celebration despite it not being as you envisaged. Many congratulations on reaching 50 years of marriage. As a matter of interest I checked to see the equivalent of the £20 that your honeymoon cost - in 2019 (latest figures) it would have been £311.71

Annette, pleased to hear you enjoyed your afternoon tea, hope you enjoy the leftovers too.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales