Author Topic: Interpreting an entry in Vancouver Directory, help please  (Read 600 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Interpreting an entry in Vancouver Directory, help please
« on: Sunday 13 September 20 18:32 BST (UK) »
I am trying not to get excited here unless someone can tell me I am interpreting this correctly :-)

The attached screen shot is of an entry in the 1946 Greater Vancouver directory.
Those who are marked as widows and then have a letter or two after that - am I right in thinking these are the initials of their late husband?

If they are, I think I may have found the correct 'Margrette' Bates :-)

Boo

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Interpreting an entry in Vancouver Directory, help please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 September 20 18:56 BST (UK) »
I am trying not to get excited here unless someone can tell me I am interpreting this correctly :-)

am I right in thinking these are the initials of their late husband?

That is correct. 
I have a 1943 directory, and I don't see any matching entry for either of them.

If you have the actual directory, you can look up the address as well, to see the house owner, which might help you to confirm.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 September 20 19:09 BST (UK) »
thank you bbart. I was hoping I was correct :-)

To the best of my knowledge her husband, William Robert, died sometime between 1916 and 1921 probably in Swift Current, Saskatchewan. She was in Sask till about 1941, then her son married and think they all went to Kelowna for a few years. I can find the son and his wife in Vancouver from 1944 and was hoping to confirm this was his mother.
The 'wid of W R' is the clincher :-)

Now all I have to do is suss out why from 1921 onwards her birth year got earlier and earlier - 10 years worth, which seems to have stuck till she died and is writ in stone in her memorial stone in Oregon !

Thanks for the help

Boo

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 September 20 19:34 BST (UK) »
Any chance her maiden name was Hendry?

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 September 20 20:20 BST (UK) »
well, it was Henry, but if its the death cert in Vancouver you are talking about then that, combined with the place of birth (which made me smile as it needed to be checked in the atlas), though it was her mother's place of birth, not hers, it was near enough to be highly possible.

All the other records up to then check out to cross reference it was the person I was searching for.

Boo

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 September 20 20:44 BST (UK) »
Yes, I was looking at that death certificate (and hoping it would shed light, but not quite enough info on it to nail anything down!)
I did find her on a 1929 passenger list with one son, (looks like she was visiting her mother in Gateshead).  The passenger list puts her age at that time as 45.

Good luck with your hunt!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 September 20 20:58 BST (UK) »
yep got that too, thanks and it checks out exactly that she was visiting her Mam back in Gateshead, County Durham, England
The address and person on the passenger lists that say who and where she was visiting are definite. The UK side family lore says that her brother paid for the passage (though the record says she did) which would/could explain the age on the passenger list being correct if he bought the ticket in the UK for her to collect in Canada.

A living descendant confirms that the lady who died in Vancouver was remembered (possibly her ashes were buried there?) on a memorial stone in Oregon with a known son and daughter in law. Their family lore confirms her parents as being those I started with.

I was looking for something to tie it all together to gainsay the age at death which gives her birth year as 10 years earlier than her documented birth year of 1883, same day and month as the death cert.
I am fairly sure that its the same person, just looking for that little spot of glue that ties it all together to explain the 10 year difference in the age at death.

They didn't make it easy for us, she's probably sat on a cloud atm, taking a break from harp playing and giggling like crazy!

Oh and the living descendant says Margrette had a great time at her 100th birthday party - well she may have done but she was only 90 at the time :-)
Boo

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 September 20 21:43 BST (UK) »

The Vancouver Sun Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
7 Feb 1981, Sat    Page 37

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/59228020/margrette-bates-7-february-1981/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 September 20 21:45 BST (UK) »
U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index - George Albert Bates - 14 February 1914 - Swift Current Saskatchewan. Died 16 March 1998 - William R Bates - Mother Margrette Henry

FIND A GRAVE

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/211234532/george-r.-bates

Olga Bates Obituary  - August 23, 1921 - April 3, 2019 (with photograph)

https://www.holmansfuneralservice.com/obituary/olga-bates/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada