Author Topic: Murphy, Dundalk, Louth  (Read 1679 times)

Offline alicemurphy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murphy, Dundalk, Louth
« on: Monday 14 September 20 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I am trying to trace evidence of my paternal grandfather Edward Murphy
I have his death cert that says he was EDWARD KEVIN MURPHY aged 39 at death in 16/02/1951 - died in London
I have his marriage Cert that says he was Edward Kevin Murphy aged 33 on 26/12/1944 - where he married Marguerite Clark in London.
I have his NI card that says his birth date was the 15/10/1912 but this appears incorrect as the above would make the year 1911?
I know his dad was Patrick Murphy and his mum was Mary and he was born in Dundalk, Co Louth
I know I have a letter saying that his church was St Patricks in Dundalk

The ONLY link I have so far found to him in terms of birth cert is a birth record for the 7th October 1911 - both parents match and the place

Any one know why his date of birth would be different? Able to see a link anywhere that I have missed? I know nothing of him before he came to London really and would love to

thanks in advance

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy, Dundalk, Louth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 20 20:58 BST (UK) »
People often didn't know their birth date, a few years out isn't unusual, birth certs date wise are also often incorrect, there was a fine for late registration so people often fibbed to avoid the fine or if registering in time often just got the date incorrect.
It wasn't like now when we all celebrate birthdays and have the date to hand all the time.

Oh and welcome to RootsChat.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 September 20 21:15 BST (UK) »
Is this him
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1911/01511/1613905.pdf
He wasn't registered for six weeks by those dates so easy to make a mistake also informant was his mother and according to the 1911 Census she couldn't read or write
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Louth/Dundalk_Town__part_of/Church_Lane__part_of/904258/

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

If Sinann is correct, then his mother's MMN is Danaher and she married Patrick Murphy in Limerick in 1905. He was a soldier at Black Dawn barracks.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1905/10159/5696200.pdf

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline alicemurphy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 17:26 BST (UK) »
thank you - this is kind of what I had found but it is good to confirm this

Are there any other places I can look for any further information about him?

thanks