Author Topic: Quintin Stewart - Tailor of Maybole- Searching for birth info+  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quintin Stewart - Tailor of Maybole- Searching for birth info+
« on: Monday 14 September 20 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hello.

I have been searching for the correct birth information for my many G's Great Grandfather. His name is Quintin Stewart and I know he was a Tailor in Maybole Ayrshire from the documents of his daughter JENNET STEWART    
11/03/1777
Maybole
Parents:
QUINTINE STEWART/AGNES CRAWFORD

Both her birth and death documents list father Quintin as a Tailor in Maybole. As I search SP site all these many months the only Quintine Stewart (under any spelling variation) I can find only 4 in all of Scotland...all from Ayrshire and only one date-appropriate for having Jennet Stewart in 1777 and that is:
QUINTIN STEWART
12/02/1754
Dailly
Parent:
David Stewart.

Countless people have Quintin Stewart , Tailor of Maybole in their trees but he is always listed as born in Maybole 1747 with no fixed date. There is no such entry under any spelling that I have been able to find in 1747 or any time close...except for the 1754 Dailly Quintin Stewart. For that one I have acquired many documents related such as all his siblings births etc. I'll get to that later.

When researching Quintin Stewart one of the first things I found was reference to a trial in Ayrshire whereby a Tailor from Maybole was put on the witness stand. It was all related to potential involvement in Knights Templar ritual activities by local Freemasons. The reason I believe this was my Grandfather is because though the trial was in 1800 the events happened several years before , eliminating almost all the other know Quintin Stewarts from Scotland that were listed on SP.

More par-
ticularly the said John Andrew and Robert Ramsay above complained on,
or one or other of them, being members of the said association, did at May-
bole aforesaid, on the 22d of August 1796, at a meeting held by the said
illegal association, and at which the said John Andrew acted as Master or
Preses, wickedly and feloniously administer or cause to be administered to
Quintin Stewart, tailor in Maybole aforesaid, an oath or engagement bind-
ing him ' to conceal and not to reveal or discover the secrets of the Order
of Knight Templars, murder and treason not excepted,' or an oath or en-
gagement of a similar import. Further, the said John Andrew and Robert
Ramsay above complained on, or one or other of them, did at Maybole
aforesaid, on the 17th of December 1796, or upon one or other of
the days of that month, or of the month of November immediately pre-
ceding, or of January in the year 1797 immediately following, at a
meeting held by the said illegal association, at which the said John Andrew
above complained on acted as Master or Preses, wickedly and feloniously
administer or cause to be administered to William Hamilton, mason in
Maybole aforesaid, an oath or engagement binding him ' to conceal and
not to reveal or discover the secrets of the Order of the Knights

Anyhow leaving aside the trial stuff and whether that is the same Quintin Stewart, Tailor of Maybole. I was hoping that others could help and nail down if the 1754 Quintin Stewart is my Grandpa or is there really a secret 1747 Quintin that many have in their tree's with no birth date info. In those trees the parents are John Stewart and Agnes McLinteen (a name I cannot find in Scotland at all).

What I know and have documents for so far...

Birth of daughter Jennet Stewart and siblings
Marriage of daughter Jennet to John Orr
Death of above Jennet Stewart
Death cert of Quintin Stewart (only says "old" and it was 1823)

Things I don't know:

When was Quintin Stewart born if not the 1754 birth?
Where is his marriage doc to Agnes Crawford
Who are his parents (If David Stewart from Dailly is not his father)

Attached is the birth cert of Jennet Stewart in 1777 that mentions Quintin the Tailor.

Any help finding or confirming Quintin's birth and parents greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Alan

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Quintin Stewart - Tailor of Maybole- Searching for birth info+
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 20 22:28 BST (UK) »
Death cert of Janet Stewart, daughter of Quintin Stewart ,Tailor.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 September 20 22:34 BST (UK) »
Short and simple death doc...

26/02/1823 Maybole

"Quintin Stewart -town- old"

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 September 20 22:42 BST (UK) »
I should mention that I already deduced that there is at least one father and son Quintin Stewart set in Maybole that were Tailors.

"STENT ROLL of the Town of Maybole
from Michaelmas 1816 to Michaelmas 1817"

"STEWART           Quintin, Taylor                2/-
STEWART           Quintin Jnr., Taylor          1/-"

https://www.maybole.org/history/archives/morsels/Maybole_Stent_Rolls_1816-1832.htm

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 September 20 23:55 BST (UK) »
I would be very surprised indeed if the Quintin Stewart baptised in 1754 is yours, because he was only 16 when the eldest child of Quintin Stewart and Agnes Crawford was baptised in 1770, and probably 15 when that child was conceived. It was legal for a boy to marry at 14, but it is almost unheard of, and especially among time-served tradesmen who could not afford to marry until they had completed their apprenticeship. Most bridegrooms were 25-30 when they got married, and most brides maybe a year or two younger.

Sometimes people who are researching their tree make a guess about when a particular ancestor was born, and put that into an online tree without making it clear that it is a guess and that they have no source to back it up. Then other people come along, find that guess and add the same information to their own trees, and before you know it there are dozens of trees with the same (wrong) information. You should never trust anything you find online unless it's an image of an original document - and even original documents can and sometimes do contain errors.

In the middle of the 18th century there are huge gaps in the surviving records, so it is quite likely that the record of the baptism of your Quintin, and of his marriage, have not survived.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 01:29 BST (UK) »
Well thanks for that. I think I saw John Steuart 1770 birth at some point but didn't realize right away that it made the 1754 birth highly unlikely. Knowing that David Stewart most likely not his parent is helpful information... I'll keep digging and hopefully if anyone knows anything they will chime in. I'm happy to know for sure that Quintin Stewart, tailor is my Grandfather and finding his birth and parents would just be a bonus.

There seems to be quite a few tailors in Maybole named Quintin Stewart. I'm leaning towards thinking they are related to my Quintin tailor. I don't see a Quintin Stewart listed on SP as being a child of Agnes Crawford and Quintin Stewart. It's possible that is another missing record and he did have a same-named son.

Again, thankful for what I have already learned and hoping to find out if possible.

Cheers

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 02:44 BST (UK) »
If Quintin Stewart and Agnes Crawford did have a son named Quintin there is a good candidate that was also a tailor born in 1790. I can't see any record on SP but I see him in census 1841 (with what I suspect is the usual wrong census age).

https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a14214af4040b9d6e0aeb36/quintin-stewart-1841-ayrshire-maybole-1781-?locale=en

In my family tree based on my research I have Janet McClewnan (McClounan) as mother of Agnes Crawford ... who was married to Archibald Crawford.

Birth of AGNESS CRAWFUIRD
ARCHIBALD CRAWFUIRD/JANET MCLEWNAN FR157 (FR157)
F
09/09/1749
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19hXacID885NlFn8iVUWVuZuBOKlB4m6z/view?usp=sharing

In the 1841 census there is an Ann McClounan and I'm pretty sure there is a connection. The Quintin mentioned is likely the same Quintin as this death cert from 07/06/1850

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cPcWWVkXhAzkWoq7C1rjMzFIG5XP_M8I/view?usp=sharing

The only 2 old deaths listed on SP for Quintin Stewart could very well be father and son tailors...

STEWART QUINTIN
M   
26/02/1823
Maybole

STEWART QUINTIN
M
07/06/1850
Maybole

The 1837 Pigot Guide lists a Quintin Stewart on High Street Maybole:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EOdGbamyHB30jB6NTITOKzKOSOnpt3P2/view?usp=sharing

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 08:09 BST (UK) »
I agree that it is likely that all the Quintin Stewarts are related to one another.

Quintin's age in 1841 is recorded as 60. In 1841, adults' ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years, and the census was taken on 7 June, so if his age is accurate he could have been anything from 60 to 65, and it would indicate that he was born between 8 June 1786 and 7 June 1791. That is quite compatible with him being another child of Quintin Stewart and Agnes Crawford.

If John was the first child born (rather than the first recorded) and if Quintin and Agnes followed the naming tradition, that would point to Quintin's parents being John and Janet, and Agnes' mother being Sarah. But that is two ifs!

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 01:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help. Appreciated.

I was getting somewhere I thought with finding info on Quinton Stewart jr. I found that 1850 death of a Quintin in Maybole and had thought that this would be the same one as was married to Janet Girvan.

When I look up children of that couple I see they had a son Quintin in 1810....but I also see an Agnes born to them in 1802:

STEWART
AGNESS
QUINTIN STEWART/JANNET GIRVAN FR540 (FR540)
F
14/09/1802

That's problematic for a Quinton born between 1786 - 1790... Should be at least 1782-1784

The Quintin that married Janet Girvan might be a nephew of the same name to my grandfather Quintin. Not sure what to think. It's possible one Quintin was born in 1780ish and another born closer to 1790.