Author Topic: 1752 Marriage - Supposedly St Gabriel's Pimlico  (Read 320 times)

Online horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1752 Marriage - Supposedly St Gabriel's Pimlico
« on: Tuesday 15 September 20 18:47 BST (UK) »
I have found a potential marriage for an ancestor in a volume in the Westminster, London, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1558-1812 collection on Ancestry.

The marriage took place in October 1752 and appears in a volume labelled by Ancestry as St Gabriel, Warwick Square, Pimlico 1710 - 1754.

Online research on St Gabriel's Pimlico has produced nothing to suggest that it existed - even as an administrative entity - before 1830.

I have checked the beginning and end papers of the volume but there's no title information.  Other than a (probably later) note about tax stamps, it launches into marriages in March 1710 without preamble.  The last marriage is on 24 March 1754 - presumably the result of Hardwicke's Act.

This is the only volume for St Gabriel's Pimlico in this collection.  With the Westminster, London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1935 collection in browse mode, the only volumes listed for St Gabriel's are from the C20th.

I can only conclude that the 1710 - 1754 volume is mis-labelled and belongs to another church.  Does anyone have further thoughts?

Thank you for your help.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1752 Marriage - Supposedly St Gabriel's Pimlico
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 19:36 BST (UK) »
St Gabriel's, Pimlico, is a Church of England parish church in Pimlico, London. It lies within the Deanery of Westminster within the Diocese of London. Designed by Thomas Cundy, it was constructed between 1851–3 as part of Thomas Cubitt's development of the area on behalf of the Marquess of Westminster. It is a Grade II* Listed Building.

This question and answer is beyond me "1851-3"

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 19:37 BST (UK) »
Taking a sample of marriages from the volume on ancestry, and findmypast indexes them all at St Martin in the Fields.
John

Online horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 19:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.

John, I was just doing the same searches in the England Select Marriages collection and came to the same result.

Thanks again.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 20:21 BST (UK) »
Aptly illustrating the point I made here, last week ...
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=837150.msg7025367#msg7025367

The problem is that Ancestry will take their time uploading the Westminster images, probably mistranscribing many of them, grouping them illogically, and labelling them incorrectly, if past performance with the LMA records is anything to go by.

Online horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 20:59 BST (UK) »
Aptly illustrating the point I made here, last week ...
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=837150.msg7025367#msg7025367

The problem is that Ancestry will take their time uploading the Westminster images, probably mistranscribing many of them, grouping them illogically, and labelling them incorrectly, if past performance with the LMA records is anything to go by.

When I posted this thread I had the feeling there might be a dig of this nature in my near future...

I will take mislabelled and even mistranscribed any day.  One can work around those problems, as we have done here. 

Records locked away by a company that promotes them but refuses to publish them in eight-and-a-half years is another matter.

See:  Westminster Non-Conformist records, Westminster Wills and Probate, Westminster Apprenticeships, Westminster Militia Records, Westminster Watch, Constables and Beadles records and a good proportion of the records which are covered by the umbrella of Poor Law and Workhouses etc.

Cheers.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 23:18 BST (UK) »
Point taken.