Author Topic: Family of Patrick Clancy, Endrim, Moyclare, Kings County  (Read 1589 times)

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
  • Personal history lives on through the generations.
    • View Profile
Family of Patrick Clancy, Endrim, Moyclare, Kings County
« on: Tuesday 15 September 20 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I have reached a dead end as to the family of Patrick Clancy. He was born 1857 in Kilpatrick, (Tullamore District) but took over a farm in Endrim (Parsonstown). He had three children with a Mary McEntire according to the 1901 census, John and Maggie who appear to be twins born circa 1877 and Elizabeth born March 5th 1880 in Endrim. I cannot find anything about the mother except she appears on Elizabeth's birth cert., nor can I find any certs at all for the twins. All of the children and the mother have disappeared by the 1911 census. Patrick married an Annie Phelan on 15th May 1911, the cert showing both as widowed. However, I cannot find a death cert for Mary or the children.
On the 1911 Census it shows a nephew and a niece living with Patrick. I know who these two are and where they came from. ???
Connor/O Connor, Kiltoom, Westmeath
Duff, Coolure, Mayne, Co. Westmeath
Clancy, Kane, Endrim & Kilpatrick, Kings County
McKenzie, Dublin and Dundee.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Patrick Clancy, Endrim, Moyclare, Kings County
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 23:21 BST (UK) »

... He had three children with a Mary McEntire according to the 1901 census, John and Maggie who appear to be twins born circa 1877 and Elizabeth born March 5th 1880 in Endrim ...

John and Margaret were baptised in Tisaron and Galen RC parish on 29 June 1877 (right page):
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632386#page/146/mode/1up

As an aside, given that baptism date, note the following from the Irish Midland Counties Advertiser of 12 July 1877, it's an extract from a letter from Doctor G.R.D. Charlton to the Local Government Board, in essence complaining about the Board's financial process for sanctioning medical attendance at a case which was described as a 'very serious one':

'On Monday night the 25th June, at 10 o'clock, I received a visiting ticket from a Mr Holmes of this Committee, to attend a Mrs. Clancy of Endrim, who was lying ill.  I saw her on Monday night, on Tuesday night, and on Wednesday morning finding her running down, I wrote to Cloonan, the Relieving Officer, asking him for an order for the attendance of Dr. Fry.  Cloonan happened not to be at home, but the Doctor charitably enough came out. We then decided on leaving the case in statu quo that day. On Thursday morning I again visited her, and on the evening of that day, assisted by Dr. Fry, we had to exhibit chloroform and perform a capital operation.  Such are the facts of the case.'

It went on to mention that 'the husband of the patient is a labourer, and the patient herself before marriage a domestic servant.'.

If the right folk, one can reasonably deduce the nature of the operation that took place on the evening of 28 June 1877, and that recovery may have been long and difficult. If it is the case that the registration of births for John and Margaret went by the wayside, such a crisis may have had a bearing.

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 04:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Haywood & Gaffy,
To get this information, especially the paper extract, is unreal. How did you achieve this so quickly? Many thanks to you both. Yes you are spot on with the records.
I live in the U.S.  and have searched the civic records, particularly between the two census years, drawing a blank. I don't know what the problem is when I see an entry on LDS and Dublin tells me there is no record. This has happened many times and can be very frustrating.
As for the twins, I am happy they survived into adulthood and Mary got to see her family all wed. I have been in that house many times although I remember it mainly as a ruin.
Many thanks,
Gerry

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hey Folks,
Sorry to be a pest but I am still getting a "no result" on IrishGenealogy.ie. I have found Margaret on the 1911 census with two children, one year old Margaret and Kieran, no age given. There is no record of Elizabeth or John either on the BMD index (no result) or Census returns. Perhaps I might push a little on this as I have a deep connection with these people. My grandmother was a Clancy and Patrick Clancy, the father of John, Margaret, and Elizabeth, was her uncle. I spent many a happy summer working on the farm in Endrim in the early 1960's and even knew and worked with a Kieran Kilmartin, quite probably the one listed above. I was certainly in his house.
Gerry

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 06:28 BST (UK) »
I have just corrected the death I posted - it was Mary (Patrick’s wife) and not Margaret. Apologies.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 06:35 BST (UK) »

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 06:48 BST (UK) »
Here is the birth of Matthew Clancy in 1908, Providence R I with parents John Clancy and Elizabeth Killian.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F89P-LNY

1910 John and Lizzie Clancy and children
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MP6K-7VH