Author Topic: Elias and Mary (Nee unknown) Jones residents of Cerrigceinwen Anglesy ~1801  (Read 892 times)

Offline hllawson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elias and Mary (Nee unknown) Jones residents of Cerrigceinwen Anglesy ~1801
« on: Thursday 17 September 20 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all I'm looking for some help with regards to gaining some more information on who I believe to be my 4x Great Grandparents Elias and Mary Jones. I've hit a bit of a brick wall and so would greatly appreciate some advise and help.

So far I've Identified them via their Son, Richard Jones', baptismal record 22nd of Jan 1803 in Cerrigceinwen Angelsy. Sadly this does not supply me with Mary's Last name. But indicates they were living at "ty Rhedyn". Looking at other baptisms in the local church it appears Elias and Mary had at least one other child a Catharine Jones in 1801. And possibly more but due to differences in  address I am not 100% certain they are all siblings. There seem to be more than one Mary and Elias Jones in the parish.

I have struggled to find a marriage record for Elias and Mary that I am sure about. Marriages for Elias jones and Marry in the Cerrigceinwen and neighbouring parishs take place after 1803, making me think they are not my 4xGreat Grandparents.

I have  Identified two marriage (Assuming Catherine was their first child and that they married within 100 miles of Anglesey) to being in either in Llanwrst 1782 between Elias Jones and Mary Thomas. or Llanasa in 1800 between Elias Jones and Mary Jones.

Due to the lack of definitive birthdates and no Censuses close enough to the birth of their children I am really struggling to gather any further information on them. Does anyone have any suggestions of where else I might be able to get some more information on them? I've done a rough look at deaths but again don't have enough facts to even identify these. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Elias and Mary (Nee unknown) Jones residents of Cerrigceinwen Anglesy ~1801
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 September 20 12:58 BST (UK) »
I've listed below all the Anglesey parish baptisms I can find (from FindmyPast) with father Elias Jones and mother Mary, between 1795 and 1815 - I expect you have already looked at them.

3 Feb 1798, Llanfechell - John son of Elias Jones, Cefngwyn & Mary his wife
28 Nov 1799, Llanfairynghornwy - William Elias son of Elias Jones of the parish of Llanfechell & Mary Roberts his wife
5 Jul 1801, Cerrigceinwen - Catherine dau. of Elias Jones of Ty Rhedyn by Mary his wife
13 Feb 1803, Cerrigceinwen - Richard son of Elias Jones of Ty Rhedyn by Mary his wife
3 Mar 1805, Cerrigceinwen - Ellin dau. of Elias Jones of Trehwfa by Mary his wife
23 Nov 1806, Cerrigceinwen - Jane dau. of Elias Jones of Trehwfa fawr by Mary his wife
6 May 1810, Cerrigceinwen - Thomas son of Elias Jones & Mary his wife

There are grounds for thinking this is a single family.
There is a younger son, Owen, who had a non-conformist baptism at Horeb C.M. Chapel, Llangristiolus on 21 Mar 1814. He was born in Cerrigceinwen parish and is described as the son of Elias Jones, farmer of Trehwfa (parish of birth - Cerrigceinwen) and Mary Roberts (parish of birth - Llanfechell).

Like you I can't find a marriage for Elias and Mary. Unfortunately Llanfechell marriages 1790-1800 do not appear on FindmyPast.

It is possible some of the children of Elias and Mary were known by patronymic names, so surname Elias rather than Jones, in later records.

PS Welcome to RootsChat
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hllawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 September 20 00:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Dragon T.

Given Richard Jones went on to Marry and have children in Llanfechell, I feel them being all the same family possible. But the distance also makes me doubt that. I did also see that there was a marriage between an Elias Jones and Mary in cerrigceinwen at Llangristiolus after the birth of Richard or Catherine. so again I thought they may well be multiple families. It's difficult to be sure one way or the other though.

Thanks very much for pointing out the possibility of patronymic names though. This isn't something I'd thought of myself.

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 September 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
I did also see that there was a marriage between an Elias Jones and Mary in cerrigceinwen at Llangristiolus after the birth of Richard or Catherine.

Was this the marriage at Llangristiolus 19 Feb 1822 between Elias Jones and Mary Hughes?

Looking for the baptism of Elias Jones - father of Richard (1803) and Catherine (1801) - between 1755 and 1795 there is only one candidate at Cerrigceinwen.
Elias son of John William and Jonnet his wife - 8 Dec 1771, that is, his surname Jones is derived patronymically from his father's first name.
There was an earlier son named Elias - baptised 11 Mar 1768 - to John Williams of Coed Howel, labourer and Jonnet his wife, who was buried 12 Apr 1768.
Two siblings were baptized at Cerrigceinwen:
Owen 12 Mar 1769, son of John Williams of Coed Howel, labourer & Jonnet
Anne 12 Jun 1774, dau. of John William of Coedhowel, yeoman, & Jonet

The marriage took place at Cerrigceinwen on 7 Dec 1764 of John Williams of Nant and Jonnet Williams of Coed Howel.

There is a burial 21 Dec 1832 at Ceidio for Elias Jones, age 60. Not a perfect fit with the baptism in Dec 1771.

Anglesey - Thomas:
Anglesey - Jones:

Offline hllawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 September 20 16:57 BST (UK) »
Was this the marriage at Llangristiolus 19 Feb 1822 between Elias Jones and Mary Hughes?
  Yes, I believe it was. Now looking at the dates again I see it isn't really and issue.

Looking for the baptism of Elias Jones - father of Richard (1803) and Catherine (1801) - between 1755 and 1795 there is only one candidate at Cerrigceinwen.
Elias son of John William and Jonnet his wife - 8 Dec 1771, that is, his surname Jones is derived patronymically from his father's first name.
There was an earlier son named Elias - baptised 11 Mar 1768 - to John Williams of Coed Howel, labourer and Jonnet his wife, who was buried 12 Apr 1768.
Two siblings were baptized at Cerrigceinwen:
Owen 12 Mar 1769, son of John Williams of Coed Howel, labourer & Jonnet
Anne 12 Jun 1774, dau. of John William of Coedhowel, yeoman, & Jonet

The marriage took place at Cerrigceinwen on 7 Dec 1764 of John Williams of Nant and Jonnet Williams of Coed Howel.

There is a burial 21 Dec 1832 at Ceidio for Elias Jones, age 60. Not a perfect fit with the baptism in Dec 1771.

Thank you so much for all this information! It's really interesting. I have a few follow up questions now about the location names. If it's an inappropriate to ask more of you please feel free to direct me elsewhere.

I'm I correct in thinking this " Coed howel" and "Nant" are simply local addresses? As opposed to be places further afield? I've been working on the assumption that they will be fairly localised.

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 September 20 18:03 BST (UK) »

Am I correct in thinking this " Coed howel" and "Nant" are simply local addresses? As opposed to be places further afield? I've been working on the assumption that they will be fairly localised.
[/quote]

I've no direct knowledge but I assume that's right.
I can find Coed Howel in the 1841 census (HO107, 1359, 5, 24, 8 ) and on the NLW Welsh Tithe Maps site. In both cases it is shown in Llangristiolus parish rather than Cerrigceinwen, but on the tithe map it is about a mile from Cerrigceinwen. The family there at this time has no obvious connection.
The name "Nant" also appears in Llangristiolus in the same two sources.
Anglesey - Thomas:
Anglesey - Jones: