Author Topic: WW1 RIF 18430 Thomas J Wright  (Read 494 times)

Offline therave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 RIF 18430 Thomas J Wright
« on: Sunday 20 September 20 18:41 BST (UK) »
Finally found my gf's WW1 info on Ancestry after trying multiple times in the past.  His reg svc # was 18430 and I know he was a sergeant, served in France, was gassed, and suffered permanent total-body hair loss. 

A medal card reads:  B/102 B14 Roll, 546 page.

I would like to read more about his experience.  The RIF Museum describes the First Batt going to India and the Second to Dover, "the latter going to France in the Fourth Div..."  Guessing he was in the Fourth Div, but the Fourth Div of what?  Can someone guide me? 

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 RIF 18430 Thomas J Wright
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 September 20 19:10 BST (UK) »
The links that KGarrad cites should lead you to find that the 2nd Battalion RIF went to France and were indeed in  4th Division until December 1914.

However, his Silver War Badge card http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6029641 which gives his enlistment and discharge dates shows he didn't enlist until 2 Jan 1915 and the medal award roll (the numbers you quote are simply the reference to the roll his British War and Victory medals are recorded on)  shows he served overseas only with 8th Battalion.  His medal card has no 1914/1914 Star indicating he did not go overseas until after the end of 1915 which would fit with 8th Battalion who went in Feb 1916.

Their potted history is here:
https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/royal-inniskilling-fusiliers/

His detailed service record has not survived. 

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 September 20 19:17 BST (UK) »
You can download the two war diaries that cover Feb 1916 onwards here for free at present:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=8%20royal%20inniskilling%20WO%2095&_nq1=muster&_nq2=30&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

Note that 8th Battalion was amalgamated with 7th in August 1917 and that he had left France by March 1918

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline therave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 April 22 03:37 BST (UK) »
I wish I received notifications when ppl post replies >:(

Thank you to Kgarrad. Sick to my stomach I didn't get to thank the lovely person who took the time to help me. God rest their soul.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 April 22 11:52 BST (UK) »
I wish I received notifications when ppl post replies >:(

Thank you to Kgarrad. Sick to my stomach I didn't get to thank the lovely person who took the time to help me. God rest their soul.

To receive notifications you need to set it up. See snippet image below of what you need to read in the 'help' section of RootsChat