Author Topic: Ethel Quin  (Read 9983 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ethel Quin
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 08:55 BST (UK) »
I too have read all of the posts on all the boards. Until certificate is purchased this line of enquiry is a waste of time. Personally I think she may have changed her name yet again in 1949 as per an article in the London gazette dated 3.12.1949 from Ethel Wills to Ethel Day
John

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 10:20 BST (UK) »
On 3rd May 1947 she married Victor Charles Lewis Glenister in Wycombe Bucks and had a daughter born on 10th October 1947. They divorced in 1948 and she left the daughter with her husband and his family.

Sorry, not going to read through 11 pages.  I did start, too many conflicting statements.

I thought that in the 1940's you could not get a divorce after less than 2 years marriage, do not know if this was discussed in the 11 pages?

Probably does not make any difference to the outcome, just interested.

Yes Pat - the divorce timing was raised by CaroleW.

Not sure if John’s change of name (great find!) has anything to do with it as - of course - without the Ethel Wills birth cert we cannot know if she and Ethel Quin might be the same person.

Documents required before anything further.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 12:41 BST (UK) »
I asked the moderator to lock this thread yesterday as any replies or queries really need to be posted on the original thread for continuity.  This post now needs to be merged with it.
Threads now merged.

There are far too many unanswered questions at the moment for any conclusions to be drawn.  Until the certs listed above in reply #3 are received we are just going round in circles.

The only definite things we know  - there was a marriage in 1947 which produced a daughter - still living.

There was a divorce - in one of my replies I express doubt this was in 1948 as the marriage was only mid-1947

There was a remarriage in 1952 to Geoffrey Baird

Geoffrey remarried in 1959 but we don't know his marital status at that time hence the need for his marriage cert

Emigration to SA has been ruled out.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 18:22 BST (UK) »
Some additional info without mentioning any names as there may be living persons.

Geoffrey Graham Baird's second wife in 1959 was previously married and had a daughter from her first marriage

Her 1959 marriage to Geoffrey did not last as she again remarried in 1967

However - before the 1959 marriage to Geoffrey - 2 children were born as Baird.  First child died but second child is presumably still alive.

Given the date of the first birth - Ethel and Geoffrey separated around 1956
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline derekjwatson25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Friday 02 October 20 10:23 BST (UK) »
Reply to JonW65, I checked this website and some of the Wills family are shown on there however the 3rd daughter Agnes is recorded as Mills and not Wills. Same parents but error on website. I am trying to check for other typos / spelling errors hopefully I can sort this mystery out as she doesnt seem to have her birth been registered anywhere ?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Friday 02 October 20 10:59 BST (UK) »
Derek

Until the Ethel Wills birth cert is obtained and birthdate checked against the Land Army record for Ethel Quin - we do not know if Ethel Quin & Ethel Wills are one and the same person.

You need to wait until all 3 of the certificates mentioned previously are obtained before making any further enquiries as it could cause a lot of unneccessary confusion

Have the 3 certs been applied for?

Births March qtr 1928   
Wills    Ethel    mmn Quin Salford    8d   373

Offline derekjwatson25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Friday 02 October 20 11:25 BST (UK) »
CaroleW i have sent the relevant info the the daughter to she if she has applied, but some registry places are closed due to limited staff onsite. The DOB (19/1/28) for Ethel Wills ties in as does the baptism records.  I have sent a request on ancestry to a person who has Winifred Wills on his tree to see if he has any info he can share.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Friday 02 October 20 12:07 BST (UK) »
The DOB (19/1/28) for Ethel Wills

I don't see any reply that actually confirms that Ethel Wills birthdate was 19.1.1928.  No birthdate on the baptismal record  ???   

The SA emigration story turned out to be a wild goose chase so you really need to be absolutely sure of your facts this time

EDIT

Referring to Carol's reply below - here's the link

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Friday 02 October 20 12:08 BST (UK) »
CaroleW i have sent the relevant info the the daughter to she if she has applied, but some registry places are closed due to limited staff onsite. The DOB (19/1/28) for Ethel Wills ties in as does the baptism records.  I have sent a request on ancestry to a person who has Winifred Wills on his tree to see if he has any info he can share.

Order certs via the official GRO site. I ordered a marriage one last Saturday with a despatch date of 1st October and received it today.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk