Author Topic: Ethel Quin  (Read 9978 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Ethel Quin
« Reply #126 on: Monday 05 October 20 22:00 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Jamie from me, too - and thank you for your very interesting details about your family history.  I had seen the newspaper articles about the bombing of the Baird family, which were remarkable.

This has been an interesting search, and we await the certificates Carole mentions to see if we are able to take it further.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline derekjwatson25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 09:59 BST (UK) »
Jamie, many thnaks for this info which I have passed onto Ethel's daughter from her 1st marriage. She is still trying to get info from her cousin and aunt re Ethels past. Ive asked her to ask them if she had accent so we can try to narrow down where she came from. Ive alos asked if she ever applied for her mothers birth certificate and also the other certificates that we require to help determine Ethels past life. Hopefully I can add some more info soon.

Offline derekjwatson25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 11:17 BST (UK) »
Wedding photo of Ethel and Geoffrey 1952.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 11:35 BST (UK) »
Great picture, Derek

I'm struck by the number of guests - many of whom look like family.

Geoffrey had siblings and other family, but are some of these people Ethel's family?

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline Jamie79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Fascinated by my family history.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Just spoken to James Leslie Baird's grandson. He has spoken to his mother, who is in the photograph Derek has shared, along with my grandmother, her brothers and parents. I would really love a good quality scan of this picture if at all possible, please.

The update is that not long after divorcing Geoff Baird circa 1957, Ethel emigrated from living in the Kent area to AUSTRALIA. No knowledge of another marriage but I will ask my relative to double check on this with the name Charlie Richardson. They were a close knit community back then in the Bexleyheath area, so his name might ring a bell.

Hope this helps, perhaps check some Australian shipping information?
Peat, Stewart, Morgan, Wales, Pert, Kelly, Wingfield, Yates, Baird, Brown, Soper, Brodie, Ferguson, McCallum, Polack, Mowll...

In Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Brighton, Ayrshire, Argyll, Canada, US, London, Dublin, Berlin...

Offline Jamie79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 11:51 BST (UK) »

Presuming that is Ethel front left with Geoff behind her, then at the back in the middle James Leslie Baird's wife, with James to her left, then my grandmother Peggy Yates (nee Baird). Front centre, Geoff's parents James Brodie Baird and Audrey Phillis Katherine Baird (nee Soper), the only people I can't confidently identify are the gentleman far right and the young girl at the front.
Peat, Stewart, Morgan, Wales, Pert, Kelly, Wingfield, Yates, Baird, Brown, Soper, Brodie, Ferguson, McCallum, Polack, Mowll...

In Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Brighton, Ayrshire, Argyll, Canada, US, London, Dublin, Berlin...

Offline Jamie79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 11:53 BST (UK) »

Presuming that is Ethel front left with Geoff behind her, then at the back in the middle James Leslie Baird's wife, with James to her left, then my grandmother Peggy Yates (nee Baird). Front centre, Geoff's parents James Brodie Baird and Audrey Phillis Katherine Baird (nee Soper), the only people I can't confidently identify are the gentleman far right and the young girl at the front.

I will send this to my relatives in Kent to confirm anything else, if it was possible to get a better quality image, please, that would help, as the lady in the photo is quite elderly and her eyesight isn't great.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 11:58 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Jamie - if this is Ethel and Geoff's wedding, surely they are in the centre of the shot?

Ethel in the front in the pale suit, holding a handbag and what looks like a white horseshoe, with Geoff to the left (as you look at the photo).

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying.

Derek - if we post a link to the Photo Board here, someone will have a go at sharpening the picture for us.  I can do this if you're happy.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline Jamie79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 11:58 BST (UK) »

Apologies, I hadn't opened the photo up and could only see the left hand side of it! I'll get back to you with as many names as possible.