Author Topic: Emigration of Anne Josephine (Annie) Doyle b 1883 Dublin d 1936 Queens, New York  (Read 368 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all,
I wonder if anyone can help with a problem we have struck finding this girl's emigration from Ireland to New York. Her parents James Doyle and Bridget Brennan (my 2nd great aunt) were married on 7 Aug 1881 at St Michael's, Kingstown, Dublin. It was Bridget's first marriage but James had been married before. His first marriage (from 1875 until 1880 when his first wife died) resulted in three children -- a boy who died as an infant and two girls. One of the daughters from the first marriage, Katharine (b 1878), also emigrated to New York, marrying in Manhattan in 1895.
Annie was born 3 May 1883 at 23 Bolton St, North Dublin. (Her sister Bridget Cristina was born 2 Dec 1884 but died 10 Sep 1886). Then her parents set off for New York.
James caught the Furnessia from Glasgow at Moville and arrived in New York on 5 Sep 1887. We have him on that list.
Bridget caught the Britannic (1) from Liverpool at Cobh (it says Queenstown) and arrived in New York on 1 Jun 1888 (not iceberg season, thankfully, since the Britannic and Titanic were sister ships). We have her on that list as well.
But we have not been able to find Annie, and perhaps Katharine. It makes sense that James would have gone on ahead and to set up a base, but I would have thought the girls might have followed with Bridget. In 1888 Katharine would have been about 10 and Annie about 5.
There are other children listed individually on the Britannic passenger list so if the girls were with Bridget there should show up.
I haven't found Katharine and Annie on other ships, although I'm not an expert on using the ship list indexes.
Katharine married George Worden Keefe in Manhattan in 1895 and died in 1965. Annie married James Floyd Sloan in Manhattan in 1900 and died in 1936.
Several of Annie's descendants are DNA matches of mine. Their trees say Annie emigrated when she was 6 years old. I am in Australia and can't access many US records.
If Annie was 6 when she emigrated that makes it about 1889, which is close to the 1888 emigration of her mother on the Britannic (1).
Have we just missed the girls on the Britannic? Or is there another explanation?
We would be grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks,
Geoff Turner. 

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration of Anne Josephine (Annie) Doyle b 1883 Dublin d 1936 Queens, New York
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 10:17 BST (UK) »

... Bridget caught the Britannic (1) from Liverpool at Cobh (it says Queenstown) and arrived in New York on 1 Jun 1888 (not iceberg season, thankfully, since the Britannic and Titanic were sister ships) ...

Minor detail, but Germanic was the sister ship to that Britannic.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration of Anne Josephine (Annie) Doyle b 1883 Dublin d 1936 Queens, New York
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 10:36 BST (UK) »
OK, but both were White Star Line vessels, is what I meant. Sister ships wrong term, sorry.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 11:55 BST (UK) »
you can browse the ship by starting at this link and clicking forward 3 frames to get to the Britannic,  then 1 frame at a time to view each page of the Britannic's passenger manifest. Liverpool passengers are listed first, so you can click ahead until you get to the people who boarded at Queenstown if you like.
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01pw7/

I looked and didn't find either child. There is a Bridget Doyle age 20 something - the units digit is unreadable or nonexistent, I forget.

You can get some help in searching by starting here and picking the right link to start from.
https://stevemorse.org/
That is a free site.  or you can search at one of these two:

The passenger manifest site is free also. It starts here, I think:
https://www.statueofliberty.org/discover/passenger-ship-search/
(they keep changing the domain name)

familysearch.org has the US immigration records also and is searchable.

all 3 sites are free. And accessible worldwide, last I knew. You will need to set up an account at statueofliberty.org and familysearch, but it is free.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 12:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those suggestions. I took her age to be a “?” She would have been over 40 by then (and she was older than her husband) so might have been wanting to keep her age quiet. But the occupation “servant” tallies so I was happy that was her.