Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 24th September  (Read 1419 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 24th September
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 September 20 10:33 BST (UK) »
Well I am off to have my wedding ring taken off, have no idea what is entailed as long as I come home with my finger intact!, can't move my ring at all, only finger that is swollen strangely, so I am not a happy bunny, no way of knowing where the engraved markings are, would prefer not to have then sawn into but I may have no choice, that is my first job today

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 September 20 10:57 BST (UK) »
Well, apart from the worry of what has caused the swelling , it will be an emotional time.
A shame to have to cut into your ring, and yes the hallmarks ,but you will have no idea where they are will you.
Hope all goes well.
How many years married?
Mine too small for my knobbly knuckle and too big for little finger .
Worn thin now .don’t know what will become of it .
Let us know how you get on.
Viktoria

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 September 20 11:01 BST (UK) »
Good luck LM... hope all goes well at the jewellers and your finger will feel so much better but not necessarily your heart....I’m sure it will all be rectified for a satisfactory outcome... I’ll. e thinking of you...

Viktoria- we have a little local hardware store and they are so helpful... I’m very inclined these days to use all,our local shops where possible, they work so hard and definitely deserve to still be standing...back to how things used to be before all the big supermarkets arrived....
I remember when I stayed with my Aunt in Norbury ( Sth of the Thames for those not sure where it is) we would go,out on a Saturday morning leaving the front door unlocked...in summer she pulled a striped curtain across it ( dog sat dutifully in the hall behind the curtain and never once thought of venturing further) walk down to the high street and visit the first Sainsbury’s that arrived.... not self service... counters either side... assistants in long white aprons and you bought what you needed.... butter from a large block that was then patted into shape with grooved wooden paddles, ham cut from the bone, cheese cut from a large block with a cheese wire.. all wrapped in grease proof paper and given to you in brown paper bag... I remember it like yesterday ....how times have changed! She wore her hat and gloves whenever we went out where ever we were going! Politeness was the order of the day and no pushing, shoving, shouting, rudeness etc...

Try not to get blown away with your washing whilst attaching it to the line .....
Have a good day...I’m off to do more sewing....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 26 September 20 13:06 BST (UK) »
You are both very kind

The jeweller was really very kind, it is engraved , unfortunately  he just clipped my husbands name, but that is OK, I still have him, my husband was with me, had to be strong to be honest , didn't want to make a fool of myself but I got a bit upset in the car, I'm OK  now though, will wait and see if my finger gets back to near normal, my ring has been on my finger for 56 years, I  did have it enlarged a few months after marriage, would you believe from being a bean pole I had put on 2 stone in 2 months, I made my husband ask my dad if he could marry me before I had the ring put back on, daft or what but it was a laugh, might try to get it blessed if I have it enlarged or a new one, feels strange without it but after all it is only a ring

Very very windy and cold here, put heating on last night we were so cold, good washing day if it doesn't rain, has tried to.

I enjoy everybody's  banter on the diary,  makes my days seem quite dull, I am trying to encourage my husband to attempt to hold a paint brush !!, will do it gently so as not to frightenhim  off the jobs I would like done, some hopes

Louisa Maud

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 26 September 20 14:44 BST (UK) »
No, it is not only a ring to us especially of our generation.
It is very much what it stands for ,and for me that is promises made and every effort made to keep them.
I have been lucky, no infidelity ,no physical cruelty, a hard worker, high moral standards and honesty.
He just had to be there for  his influence to be felt.
There were times I could have strangled him,but it flashed through my mind on many occasions how better off would I be?
And no painting,noDIY ,no gardening , somewhat stubborn , so honest he lost out on many things like promotions , were not enough to make me pack his bags.
I always had to pack for holidays ,he would put every article of clothing he had on the bed to pack.I would say “ You can’t  take all that!”
And pack for him.It took me a few years to cotton on to his clever ploy.
He always got his packing done for him!
You had to admire him ::) ::) ::)
He never said” You have done a good  job.” When I had completely done  a full room, because I would have bitten his head off .
He made endless cups of tea though!He was really good at that.
I would have him back.
Whether he would come though is another matter,   ;D
I wonder about him and Flash Harry ,they would be bestest
mates .( FH ‘s Daddy’s term for Grandad.)
Cheerio, sky looking dark ,washing is surely dry.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 26 September 20 16:05 BST (UK) »
I know it isn't  just a ring but I am telling myself that to make me feel better, I have the paper to prove we are married of course, no doubt I could have strangled him but what is the good of that , I wouldn't have wanted a constant war

Yes, I have stuck to all the promises I made and so as he, I feel quite proud I have had 56 years, I often tell him I would have been out for  murder by now, wouldn't change him, but would he change me, ha, ha.

No, he packs his own holiday clothes, he went away for work before we married then once a month after we got  married, he lived with his grandmother before he married, spoilt by her but I decided if he packed his own case I couldn't be responsible,  and so he still does, suits me

He never comments on what I have done or anymeal, I think if he clears his plate then it was  OK, same as tbe way I run my house, he started to do the dishwasher, so I have been crafty enough to let him carry on, once again suits me

I have 2 friends whose husbands never stop, always doing decorating knocking walls down and the like, I have asked them both if they would give my husband lessons, they are the same age withing a couple of years,  no takers

When I    had a hip replacement some 14 years ago he was very good, he can do everything, but of course I am the housewife, my friend and I often laugh, we say we are as the contract we signed all those years ago, housewife, they wouldn't get away with it now, modern couples seem to share the housework in a lot of cases, we spoilt them,  I have reminded him if he is left on his own he will have to do windows and nets, I don't  want him letting me down.!!

Gone on a bit, all light hearted  Viktoria

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 26 September 20 20:46 BST (UK) »
Oh ,it is all good fun,like him leaving for work ten minutes after our first baby was born?
I was left alone when the midwife went,but there was no paternity leave in 1957.
He could not afford to lose his job.
Three children and never changed a nappy until I was ill ,( the feral cat bite and possible rabies)not from the bite  but the fear ,so the boys and I went to Dover for some shopping etc.
Could not manage the baby too so he had her .
Then said felt  he had  really got to know her - well he nursed and played with her as much as he could anyway.
He did thank me for meals ,especiallly really nice ones .
Not a great emotion shower but I could open a jewellery shop with mine,
I don’t like costume jewellery ,so nice stuff.
All my friends used to say when I moaned a bit about  him,that they never heard him criticise me.
Mind you should it ever be needed I bet I have mean right hook.You don’tkeep a ten roomed house decorated  regularly without developing muscles !
Let us know how your finger goes on .
Cheerio.
Viktoria ( T he Ramsbottom Lip )

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 September 20 02:51 BST (UK) »
So sad about your ring LM. How is your finger now?

When the swelling subsides would you be able to simply have the ring mended, or slightly enlarged. A skilled engraver might be able to make good any damage on your husband’s name.

I think any repairs tell a story and add to the history of old items. I have a small lidded bowl which came from my mother in law’s family (possibly her grandmother as it has some age to it). I specifically wanted it because it has been repaired (metal pins) which I think adds to it’s character. It was obviously something special for someone to have it so lovingly repaired. I think your ring tells a story too.

Even it you can no longer wear it on your finger if you have it repaired you could wear it on a chain around your neck, or on a bracelet perhaps depending on how much jewellery you have and wear.

Let us know what you decide to do with it.  :)