Author Topic: Spring Garden Passage  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Cath Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spring Garden Passage
« on: Monday 28 September 20 21:23 BST (UK) »
My paternal grandmother Rosanna Browne Kelly lived in Spring Garden Passage from at least 1918 (apart from a short time in the mid to 1920's) until I think 1968-when the cottage she lived in was demolished. Her mother Rosanna Browne father James Browne and brother James Day and other family also lived in Spring Garden Passage.  I stayed at my Grandmother's cottage for a holiday in 1965 when I was 7 and I have fond memories of my time there.  My dad spoke about his childhood and early adult life home  but I would like to find out more about the cottages and the local area. My family research has shown that my paternal family lived in and around this area.  Any information will be welcome including when the cottages were demolished.  My Grandmother came to live in London but I cannot remember the year. 

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Garden Passage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 September 20 22:43 BST (UK) »
Courtney place flats which were built over the cottages were built (I believe) in the late 60s/early 70s which would fit in with your timeline.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 20 14:12 BST (UK) »
Dont know whether its against the rules to suggest having a look at one of the several facebook community pages which deal with the various area's of Dublin which often have local history/historians supplying old photos and personal accounts..in your case you would need to look at the Ballybough/Fairview and perhaps east wall pages.
Admin if I have broken any rules feel free to delete.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 October 20 16:00 BST (UK) »
Here's the Historic Map 25 inch (1888-1913) on GeoHive. It shows Spring Garden Street, Spring Garden Passage and Courtney's Place all off the Ballybough Road.
https://bit.ly/2SPx8MR

KG

Edited to Add:
Move the transparency slider to the left to see the current Dublin map.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 October 20 16:16 BST (UK) »

Spring Garden Passage appears to be on the Historic Map 6 inch B&W (1837-1842) but it is not marked. It’s between what’s called Spring Garden and Courtney Place.
Note that you can’t enlarge the map any more!
https://bit.ly/3dluYxO

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Cath Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 12:38 BST (UK) »
I am not on face book but my brother is going to look on the blog for the Ballybough/Fairview area.  I have looked on a blog called school around the corner and found that my paternal grandfather went to the East Wall school in 1912. So the face book pages look to be a good idea for further information.
The maps are fantastic they give me a clear picture to where Spring Garden Passage was.   Also the maps show the surrounding streets giving me an idea where other of my ancestors lived and how close they were to each other! thank you for all your help.   

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 20 11:12 BST (UK) »
I am not on face book but my brother is going to look on the blog for the Ballybough/Fairview area.  I have looked on a blog called school around the corner and found that my paternal grandfather went to the East Wall school in 1912. So the face book pages look to be a good idea for further information.
The maps are fantastic they give me a clear picture to where Spring Garden Passage was.   Also the maps show the surrounding streets giving me an idea where other of my ancestors lived and how close they were to each other! thank you for all your help.
T he east wall history page is excellent, I know there are some very early photos from the school there along with some names of the children, this was brought about by a 'strike' the children took part in which gained the attention of the media of the time, really fantastic page for local social history.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 October 20 15:42 BST (UK) »
https://buried.fingal.ie/search-for-a-burial/

grave number E 5247 Kilbarrack Cemetery

James Browne 1918

Rose (Rosanna) Browne 1946

James Day 1952

plus one child ?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 October 20 19:04 BST (UK) »