Author Topic: Diary > Monday 28th September  (Read 651 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 28th September
« on: Monday 28 September 20 23:51 BST (UK) »
I was late reading all of yesterday's diary entries but would like to add my best wishes to Carol and to Jeff, such a trying time for both of you in different ways, my thoughts are with you.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 28th September
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 September 20 23:52 BST (UK) »
My day:

A brighter day today. Was expecting parcels from Amazon and Royal Mail, Amazon gave me an expected delivery time between 11.30 and 2.30 so decided to wash my hair, do things around the house and go for my walk later. Also arranged with my friend J to go for a walk tomorrow night.

Hung some towels on the line to dry, next thing I saw the whole lot on the ground with the line and prop. The hook had come out of the fence, I'd recently replaced the old hook with a white one that I'd be able to see better, I think the screw bit wasn't long enough. Put the towels back in the washer for another rinse.

After lunch I went into the front garden to dig out the bedding plants from one of the flowerbeds. I was to and fro from the garage with tools and actually managed about 15 minutes out there before I heard NN come out, she was watering her shrubs with a watering can, must have been so desperate to see what I was doing.  ::)  Planted some daffodil bulbs, am hoping to get some more pansies or possibly cyclamen to plant on top to give a bit of colour before next spring.

Nice neighbour came home, he commented that it looks like we're heading for lockdown again, we had a short chat about that and about the ridiculous way people are panic buying toilet rolls again.

Parcel from Royal Mail arrived, my waterproof trainers. hadn't had any updates to the tracking information on my Amazon delivery, it was late in the slot when the driver arrived. I told him I hadn't had any tracking updates, he muttered something but I don't know what.

Finished off the work on the flowerbed, planted bulbs in another pot then cut the lawn. It wasn't that long but I thought I'd do it while the weather was fine.

Indoors for a cup of tea then out for my usual walk, was pleasant out, more leaves falling now. Back home, a few more chores, made more changes to my Tesco order. My friend L phoned, then had tea and  watched TV as usual.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 00:58 BST (UK) »
Sounds like a productive day Roobarb.... how annoying having to rewash your towels.... funnily enough I had towels out today too!.... hope your waterproof trainers work out ok...

My day
I had set my alarm just to make sure I’d wake up early enough...I needn’t have bothered as a friend sent me a WhatsApp at 7-15 am! I shall have to have words with her! Got up after a little while and showered...
Quite chilly when I got outside but sunny... not quite so much traffic around
off out to do shopping... Lidl first pretty quiet... used my Lidl app  - only realised afterwards should have downloaded the £5 off voucher before finishing the transaction.... silly dope! Runs out in 2 days so going to miss out as not going to go again just to claim it! Interesting to see they’re stack of toilet rolls was very reduced... people panic buying again... what’s the matter with them for heavens sake!...
Popped in to the chemist for few items including new pair of reading glasses.... either I’m doing too much reading, my eyes are worse than I thought or the cheap ones I’ve got haven’t got enough magnification in them....this new pair seem ok.. my eyes seem to vary from one day to the next!
Went to Waitrose for my c n c then to green grocers and home.....
Unload it all isolate most in the garage... transfer some other bits to different containers or sanitize the rest... it always seem to take an eternity to do....
OH in process of bread making.... won’t mind late lunch today as didn’t have a cuppa or breakfast until about 10.30!....sat in the conservatory where it was nice and warm...
Washing out on the line....
Decided to go and cut out as many face coverings as I could from 🌈 scraps.... managed to get about 40+ ....
Bread ready so had usual, cheese, pickles and tomatoes of course... with every meal... he does bake a good loaf it’s so delicious.... don’t tell him or he’ll get too big headed! ... no he won’t not that sort of person!
Decided to sweep patio as lots of leaves swirling around, dead headed plants... all the Asters are flowing now looking lovely and bright... purples, lilacs, pinks...
Can’t believe even the hydrangea still has its flowers, they’ve been such a variety of shades throughout the summer....
Blooming pigeons already eaten two of cabbage planted so we put netting over one lot and strung up cd’s on string across others...
Couldn’t believe we both heard the owls! During the daytime most unusual and quite close by... heard them the other day but thought I must be mistaken but OH had heard them too..
Incredible that the cardoon has got two new flower heads forming... its been cut back and usually regrows quite quickly with leaves but never flower heads at this time of year...
OH mowed front lawn....
Friend phoned had lovely chat, she’s taken 10 days hols from her job at Gatwick... certainly deserves it ...  and beeN playing lots of golf! She usually goes to Oz to visit her sister in Perth in September so sad she’s missing out this year...
More sewing half way through final three tops... should be done tomorrow then just face coverings to do...
We had gammon steaks for dinner with lots of veg and pots... almost at the end of our pots now lasted well...
Watched tv.... university challenge.... got quite a few between us... nice to see Warwick won against Oxford!
Better day today... weather brighter and got more done ....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 04:17 BST (UK) »
Couldn’t believe we both heard the owls! During the daytime most unusual and quite close by... heard them the other day but thought I must be mistaken but OH had heard them too..

Perhaps Voldemort has been defeated again!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 08:52 BST (UK) »

Perhaps Voldemort has been defeated again!

;D ;D
How lovely to hear owls.

And what a fiddle faddle with Roobarb's washing. That would have totally wrecked my day!  :'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 09:28 BST (UK) »
Took an early morning “care package” to my daughter who recently moved house and now only lives three minutes away. She is getting to the pointy end of finishing a uni assignment, and never has food in the house, so I decided to take her some breakfast. On the way saw the groodle dog which I was worrying about the other week, yet again on the footpath outside it’s house.

About an hour after getting home, myself and OH returned to my daughter’s house to attempt to remove the leaves which have fallen in her garden from an enormous tree on the parkland behind her. Ended up going back home to pick up the lawnmower as it was easier to mow and mulch the leaves than use the leaf blower. What a palaver. I don’t know what the tree is behind my daughter’s house, but it’s definitely fully deciduous. Garden looked a lot better after a tidy up.

Despite heading towards our “Spring”, September is always the worst time in my garden - every tree that looses leaves drops them in a couple of weeks. We’ve also had a lot of windy days - much of the blossom and many leaves from my avocado trees are spread all over the ground..

In the afternoon watched a couple of episodes of the second series of “The a Word” - enjoyable.

Took dog for a walk and for the second time saw groodle on the footpath. Poor dog - neglectful owners. I hope I am not witness to the poor thing getting hit by a car. Quite a long dog walk today with no embarrassing incidents thank goodness.

Odd curry fusion type food for dinner. Not a success.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 16:11 BST (UK) »
Caroline, maybe it's time to put a do not disturb on your phone! What a shame yu missed out  on the Lidl fiver discount.

Mowsehowse, I comforted myself with the thought that it was only towels on my line rather than stacks of different stuff, also I saw them take the plunge so they weren't actually dirty when I retrieved them, just needed a rinse.

Ruskie, that poor dog, hope it doesn't come to any harm.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 20:11 BST (UK) »
Having a relative who sadly killed a dog which ran out of a garden without any warning and no long view for the driver to take action ,the upset and guilt was dreadful.
Its owners were upset and screamed and shouted at the driver,
but it was sadly one of those happenings ,a dog not trained to STAY!and
no care taken re one door closed before the next is open ,of a house in a busy main road.
It was not fair to the dog or the driver(s) using that road.
It was a road with a school entrance too, imagine a driver swerving and children on the pavement at that place.
Very hard to just carry on I imagine.

I started a post but it disappeared .
Gremlins.
Got most of the sealing  done ,round window etc.
I realise now I do not see as well as I think, it feels a bit bumpy when I usually get a nice smooth finish.
It will do the job until I can get prescription specs.
WHEN !
Days go by and all pretty much all the same ,but many would wish for that.
I am going to send Grandson money, by way of a transfer.
He is getting very sensible ,I used to tease him that if he was starving he would still buy Calvin Kline underpants.
He saw some boots he liked, a good reduction in the many sales.
But he said” No “ to himself , decided he should not afford them .
Grand daughter is very sensible , so she deserves a treat too.
Goodness knows what the Winter  will bring , might as well send them some now.
The big dig on TV is what I am looking forward to ,it is fascinating .
What an enormous project.

Well, must look for bank details etc and get the transfers done.
Look after yourselves every one.
Cheerio.
Viktoria.