Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 29th September  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 29th September
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 13:45 BST (UK) »
Caroline, what a to do with the neighbours! Hope the fence stands up to the job and not too much fall out afterwards. Keep your head down!

Carol, very sorry to hear further bad news, your son seems to be amazingly philosophical about it all. Hope the new day brings  better news and thatone of his siblings is a match.

Mowsehowse, hope the forecasters are wrong about the rain!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 13:58 BST (UK) »
Carol so sorry to hear about your son and thinking of you.  Sorry I don’t know about these things, but if siblings are the best match, can parents not be a match at all?
North East of England

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 15:44 BST (UK) »
Carol so sorry to hear about your son and thinking of you.  Sorry I don’t know about these things, but if siblings are the best match, can parents not be a match at all?

Candleflame, I Googled this, and apparently parents are as likely as full siblings to match, but because younger donors produce more and higher-quality cells than older donors, a sibling would be the preferred choice.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 20:52 BST (UK) »
Well, broadband back again but somewhat of a palaver.   Phoned BT Monday and after tests they said an engineer would come Tuesday afternoon.  If I wanted to cancel the appointment had to be done by 7pm. Whilst talking to a very nice lady she said she'd noted that I'd been with BT since 1987 and thought I was paying too much and that apparently nothing was under warranty and she'd pass me on to a colleague.   This she duly did and the man I spoke to got the monthly bill down a few pounds and this contract would start 29th September.   Fair enough.  However, when I woke this morning (Tuesday) light on hub was blue and broadband was back.   Since you get charged for engineers visit (£80+) which isn't necessary I swiftly phoned BT again to get the visit cancelled as didn't want to get charged when my hub was now working again.   The man I spoke to checked all details and said the visit had already been cancelled as the problem was now resolved.   I feel like some sort of skulduggery afoot.   With the contract I had before, the hub suddenly stopped working and had to phone them.   However, with a new contract starting today lo and behold the hub is suddenly now working.  At the end of the day I'm paying a bit less but seems somewhat odd to me that the minute the new contract (now BT Halo) comes into effect the hub is suddenly working again and they'd already themselves cancelled the engineers visit!!!!

Another dull and dreary day and didn't do much of anything.   Aside from my knitting.   I wish I had some of the impetus that others on here have.   Think I need a good kick up the backside.

Cumberland Pie and jelly and custard for dinner.   Evening watching the usual programmes on tv, sudoku and more knitting.   Thrill a minute!

So sorry to hear about Carol's son and hope one of the siblings will be a match.

Take care.

Annette       
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 21:51 BST (UK) »
I've been following the Diaries, but haven't really had much to contribute, being farmers our days are more or less like ground hog days.

Just wanted to say to Carol, my cousin's sibling was a match for them with bone marrow, this was about 30 years ago, but things progress over the years in the medical field.  They have just had surgery for Prostate and is up and running back to normal self.  When our daughter went through BC, I found I had a lot of support from members on here, strangers are sometimes easier to talk to about what you are going through, how you are feeling etc, easier than family members.  So if you want to vent go ahead.  Make sure you look after yourself as well.

Kia Kaha
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 22:06 BST (UK) »
May I add my kind thoughts and wishes to the others on RootsChat .
A little girl at school needed a transfusion so umbilical blood was saved when her new sister was born.
That was a success.
Sincerely hope things go well.
Look after yourself, you have a long haul.

Did some neatening  up in the bathroom ,different light shows little bits etc.
Pleased with it.
I might have a nasty awakening  when ( if) I get new specs. ;D

Raining very heavily now  and  for the next few days ,so no gardening !
Grandson and Flash  Harry and  his Mummy are driving up this weekend, his other nanny lives up here ,said they will call by and wait in the van , which is all fitted out for sleeping in.
Not sure how much contact there will be.

Said Flash  Harry is so used to being physically busy all day ,sitting down at school is not tiring him out.
It will work out .
Grand daughter has appt with accountant as she is so busy doing the cakes and her job and Uni
she has no time to do her own accounts and that would probably be illegal
anyway.
So  nice  to see them both getting on with life .
It is funny, they seem so young to me but at their age I had two boys and their mum on the way.

Must do a big tidy up tomorrow.
Getting on my nerves , and lots of tiddly bits to do ,.
Oh  I wish  I could get a good hair cut .
Phoned my friend from schooldays today ,lives on The Gower , it is her late husband’s Birthday today , so thought she would appreciate a call.
Gosh we had some good times with them,lots of laughs.
It is they who owned the German Shepherd dog   that  followed the window  cleaner  up the ladder , as he was new  and  not known to the dog .

Well ,Laurence Of Arabia ,the documentary is on.
Lots of trouble would have been avoided had  we kept promises made ,at the time I seem to remember.
Division of land promised to The Arabs ,being Given to Britain and aFrance under  The Sykes  Pekoe agreement .

Goodnight ,hope those with worries get some rest , sleep is such a blessing .
Viktoria

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 23:44 BST (UK) »
Annette- great to hear your Internet has magically been fixed... they are so and so’s these companies.. we’re with sky, phone, internet and tv... have been for 20 + yrs, every time they try to put the prices up I phone have a moan say how long we’ve been customers, on fixed income and going to have to leave they suddenly discover they can give us more discount.... upgrade this or that for free... so it’s worth calling them! Do the same with Vodafone as been customer about same time....

Viktoria- I missed the Lawrence of Arabia programme... I’ve just read a great book written about Gertrude Bell who was instrumental in the division of Arabia after WW1... you might enjoy it called Bell of the Desert by Alan Gold...hope you get to spend some time with FH and your grandson.... surely they’re able to come into your home now aren’t they?

Kiwihalfpint - it would be lovely to hear your diary even if it’s only infrequently... life on the farm, how NZ is doing etc... I miss my son not living there any more as we loved to visit...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 October 20 00:02 BST (UK) »
Was she the explorer?
I have a book, of the reign of George V,sure she is in it.
Lots of photographs of famous people if the time,
Will look it up tomorrow.
It was good, the programme about TE .Lawrence,.
Should read  The  Seven Pillars of Wisdom ,copy at home but found it difficult to get into ,but would only be about twelve.
It would either be that or Marie Carmichael Stopes Planned Parenthood ! ::)
Goodnight.
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 October 20 00:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, Viktoria she was the explorer, extraordinary woman and so bright and given such important work to do... thwarted by some men of course who thought she should be flouncing about and married not interfering in politics!
Got The Seven Pillars of Wisdom... my dads book... he went out to Middle East in 1929 was in Palestine police for a while and worked in the oilfields before moving to Cairo....
Have to catch up with TE Lawrence...

Night night
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK