Author Topic: Hutchison/Hutchinson  (Read 1594 times)

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
Hutchison/Hutchinson
« on: Wednesday 30 September 20 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Apologies ,but this is a vague request. I have never been able to go further back on one branch of my family, as I am stuck at 1768 with the birth of my 3 x Gt grandfather Henry Burton who died just before the 1851 census in Cornwall, so I have no birthplace. He named two of his children ‘Hutchinson’ as their middle names.,sometimes transcribed as ‘Hutchison’.  My DNA has revealed 25% Scottish. I have no Scots anywhere in any other lines of my family, but this ‘Hutcheson’ remains a mystery.
I was wondering if there were any Hutcheson/ Burton marriages in Scotland or any Hutcheson families in Aberdeenshire where my family appears to have a link.
My late father wore a green and red tartan, embraced some sort of Scots heritage, but we don’t know why. He lived in Aberdeenshire for a while in his teens.(he died when I was 2).
We haven’t a clue where to go with this.
Any help would be great,but it is a long shot we know.
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Hutchison/Hutchinson
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 17:16 BST (UK) »
Almost all of the historical birth/baptism, banns/marriage and death records in Scotland is available at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. You can search the indexes free of charge and it's pay-per-view to see the full documents.

I'm afraid there are a lot of tartans that are red and green, but if you don't know which tartan it was or why he thought he had a connection to it, it won't be much help.

Did he go to school in Aberdeenshire? It might be worth looking to see if there are any school records available that might help. Try https://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/services/libraries-and-archives/aberdeen-city-and-aberdeenshire-archives to start with.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 17:40 BST (UK) »
In the period 1650 – 1800 on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
 (Pay to view, free to search)

There were more than 500 hundred Burton’s born in Scotland none in Aberdeenshire and no Henry in Scotland around 1768.

There were nearly 7000 people with the name Hutchinson or similar with more than 600 born in Aberdeenshire but only one marriage.

HUTCHISON   DAVID   JANET BURTON   23/09/1690   Ballingry, Fife

There are also a few marriages in England over the same period.

Is this Henry’s death?
BURTON, HENRY       83 
GRO Reference: 1851  M Quarter in FALMOUTH UNION  Volume 09  Page 55

Do you have Henry on the 1841 census or do you know when and who he married?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 October 20 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi yes, Henry lived in Falmouth. He is in the 1841 census as Barton. It states he is ‘not born in county’.
I imagine that the ‘Hutchinson’ he puts in his children’s names could be his mother’s maiden name, but I have never been able to progress , as I don’t know where he was born .
I have been looking for twenty years!!
His wife was Elizabeth Taylor. So it was a Taylor/Burton marriage, sadly with no diamonds to inherit!!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 October 20 14:10 BST (UK) »
I can see why it has been transcribed as Barton - the original is a bit ambiguous.

However it says 'N' in the column for 'where born' rather than 'S' which is what it should show if he had told the enumerator he was born in Scotland.

There are no baptisms of a B*rton with mother's surname H*ch*s*n* on Scotland's People, so if he was born in Scotland any record has almost certainly not survived.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 October 20 19:01 BST (UK) »
As posted earlier the 1841 census would indicate the Henry was most likely born in England
No S for Scotland or I for Ireland. I think the middle name might have come from Henry’s grandmother, which was more often the case but not always.I did pick up a few things some of which you already know. I will have another look for Henry tomorrow.

Henry Burton
Spouse   Elizabeth Taylor
Marriage   05/04/1801 Falmouth, Cornwall

Children on Freereg as transcribed, Burton, BURTHEN, BURTEN,

Rebecca 1804, Henry 1806, Richard 1809,
Mary Hutchinson 1811 (died 1812), Thomas Hutchinson 1814 (May have died 1814 age 9m),
 William Taylder 1816 – There may have been others on FindMyPast

1841 Falmouth   Age
Henry Burton   70
Elizabeth Burton   60
Catharine Burton   20
Henry Burton   13
All born in County except Henry senior. No clear baptisms for Catherine & Henry?

Maybe Elizabeth? Parents John & Mary
Name   Betsy Taylor
Birth   24/01/1780
Baptism   19/02/1780 Falmouth, Cornwall

I wonder if this is Elizabeth in 1861 Quay Street, Falmouth.
BURTON   Elizabeth   Lodger   78   Paup In Rcpt Parochial Relief   CON   Falmouth

Rebecca Barton   Marriage   26 Feb 1828   Falmouth, Cornwall   John Kelway

Winesesses:  P H Gutheridge & Mary Ann TAYLDER ( see William Taylder above)
Marriage with consent of Parents.

Richard Burton   Marriage   6 Aug 1833   Falmouth, Cornwall   Grace Peters
Witnesses: William Peters & Rebecca Kelway – Richard & Grace on 1851 census Falmouth.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 October 20 11:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. I am thrilled to see the witnesses as this helps to reinforce my research. I was never positive Rebecca Kelway, was correct and the ‘Taylder’ name is a great help, as Elizabeth was transcribed as Taylor on her wedding.
My direct ancestor is Henry born 1806. He is my great great grandfather. He married in St Austell to Mary Ann Creba. He was a mariner, I have never found his death and don’t know why he married in St Austell.
The Henry aged 13 on the 1841 census is a complete mystery . The people he is living with are too old to be his parents . I don’t think he is a grandson, as none of the generation above would be old enough to have a 13 year old son at that time, so who is he? I wondered whether he was my gt gt grandfather and someone said ‘he’s thirty’ and it was mistranscribed. My Henry’s age constantly changes on records. He was born 1806, but is a different age at marriage.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 October 20 12:22 BST (UK) »
The Henry aged 13 on the 1841 census is a complete mystery . The people he is living with are too old to be his parents . I don’t think he is a grandson, as none of the generation above would be old enough to have a 13 year old son at that time, so who is he?
If he was 13 in 1841, he was born 1827/1828. Rebecca b 1804 is old enough to have been his mother, and Henry b 1806 or Richard b 1809 would have been old enough to be his father.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 October 20 12:58 BST (UK) »
All on Ancestry.

Mary Hutchinson - died 1732
Marriage Date:   28 Mar 1695
Marriage Place:   Darton, All Saints, Yorkshire,
Spouse:   George Burton – died 1714

John 1698 (May have died Darton 1759),
George 1700, married Hannah Todd 1728. 4 daughters and 1 son John 1738 (Died?) & 1740.
Hannah wife George died 1765
Elisabeth Burton died Darton 1737 – father George

Edward 1703, no clear trace after.

Name   John Burton
Spouse   Marthea Lawson
Marriage   21/04/1759 Sudbury, Derbyshire

Children Parish Church of Sudbury, Derbyshire baptisms John & Marthoa

John Burton 5 Nov 1760, Edward Burton 17 Dec 1761, Thomas Burton 24 May 1763

Catherine Burton 2 Jun 1764, Henry Burton 4 Nov 1766.

The names of the children above might link John to the 1740 birth in Yorkshire.

So is Henry 1766 the link to the Hutchinson’s  future  research will be necessary, one snag is that Mary Hutchinson is the great grandmother and I am sure there will be others but it might be worth following up?

Colin