Author Topic: Florence Overend Slater/McNeal 1900  (Read 471 times)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Florence Overend Slater/McNeal 1900
« on: Friday 02 October 20 14:06 BST (UK) »
I have attached a photograph of a small card that I bought with a few postcards some years ago and just recently rediscovered.

The name Florence Overend Slater is on the left side with the names Rev. George H. and Mrs. McNeal on the right. Dated 9 Aug 1900. Ashbourne House, Ashbourne Street, Leicester.

I'm not sure what the card is for but I did some research into Florence and she married at around that date to George Henry McNeal, registered in Leeds, Yorkshire. In 1901 they're living in Leicester and 1911 in Sheffield. George Henry McNeal was from Preesall, Lancashire, and was a Wesleyan Minister.

I'm wondering if anyone has come across a card like this and can someone tell me whether it's something to do with their marriage?

Thanks
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Overend Slater/McNeal 1900
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 October 20 14:49 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but there is announcement in the Leicester Chronicle on 11th August 1900, just after the date on the card, that George had been appointed as a Wesleyan Minister in Leicester. Although, the date at the bottom of the left-hand page is nearer the wedding in Q3 1900.

Another one in The Nottinghamshire Guardian, on 21st July 1900, that he was representing Leicester (Humberstone Road) at the Wesleyan Conference.

David

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 October 20 15:06 BST (UK) »
9 August 1900 is the date of the marriage in Leeds - image available on Ancestry.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 October 20 15:12 BST (UK) »
Could the card be some sort of invitation, related to George taking up his appointment in Leicester?  His address on the marriage certificate is 50 Richmond Grove, Chorlton on Medlock, which is, of course, in Manchester.  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 October 20 15:28 BST (UK) »
9 August 1900 is the date of the marriage in Leeds - image available on Ancestry.

That is also the date on the top right hand corner of the card.  I wonder if it is a card that the McNeal family were handing out at the wedding inviting people to join them and F O S for an 'at home'
It seems strange that they have her full birth name on it when it is dated the day she married.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 October 20 19:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. So now we know that the date at the top right was the date of their wedding and the card may be something to do with it. I'm still not sure what 'at home' means along with the dates at the bottom.

The arrow through her maiden name may just be to signify that her name had changed to McNeal  ???
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 October 20 08:55 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 October 20 12:58 BST (UK) »
Looking at the card and dates along with the information already found. I'd presume that George was offered the appointment to Leicester shortly before his marriage to Florence or that the couple decided to marry prior to leaving Leeds and, having found, or been found, accommodation in Leicester decided to issue 'At Home' cards on their wedding day stating that they would be at their Leicester abode on the other dates shown when visitors and well wishers would be welcome to drop in.
To me it seems like a kind of invitation to their family, friends and to George's fellow ministerial colleagues to visit their new home. It may have been given out at their wedding or sent out slightly before hand as they were moving to Leicester quite soon after their marriage and would not have time to visit everyone that manners would have dictated they should prior to leaving.
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 October 20 20:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you rosie99 and Tuggybear for the link and information  :D