Author Topic: Frederick James BOND  (Read 1384 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick James BOND
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 October 20 05:25 BST (UK) »
 ;D  So that chap found by Cass was a British Subject, by birth.   Until 1949 there was no 'citizenship' for anyone born in anywhere in Australia (or the other British dominions), you were automatically a British Subject. 

:)  https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BN/0910/AustCitizenship

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline llamedoso

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 October 20 18:39 BST (UK) »
The 1911 UK census (on Ancestry.com.au) has the family as follows:
Joseph Bond   occ. Carter on farm/labourer
Polly Bond  wife
George Bond
Frederick Bond.
Plus mother in law.  Living in 4 rooms.
(This is not the family of a son who goes to University to be a Minister of religion surely in Queensland ?)
Also Polly Bond died 1919 : ref Bond Polly 41 Chipping N. 3a   1682   

You are correct that he came from very humble background. His Mum Polly died alongside his grandma in 1919 from the Spanish Flu. My Great grandad had to raise his 2 sons on his own whilst working on a farm so I agree that he would not have gone onto University to become a minister.

Offline llamedoso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 October 20 19:52 BST (UK) »
Is there any way of finding out any more information about Frederick going as a Church Army Farm Labourer??

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 October 20 20:16 BST (UK) »
Re
The 1911 UK census (on Ancestry.com.au) has the family as follows:
Joseph Bond   occ. Carter on farm/labourer
Polly Bond  wife
George Bond
Frederick Bond.
Plus mother in law.  Living in 4 rooms.
(This is not the family of a son who goes to University to be a Minister of religion surely in Queensland ?)
Also Polly Bond died 1919 : ref Bond Polly 41 Chipping N. 3a   1682   

You are correct that he came from very humble background. His Mum Polly died alongside his grandma in 1919 from the Spanish Flu. My Great grandad had to raise his 2 sons on his own whilst working on a farm so I agree that he would not have gone onto University to become a minister.

There was no requirement to be a graduate of any University to be eligible to state their occupation as 'minister of the gospel' when enrolling to vote at NSW elections.    Dundee at reply #15 has found a possible explanation.  :)

Re
Is there any way of finding out any more information about Frederick going as a Church Army Farm Labourer??

Church Army Migration Schemes and many other Charties operated out of Britain sending participants to the British Empire's Dominions.  Google may well be a good starting point.  The Australian Joint Copying Project may also be helpful, and the online website for the National  Archives of Australia has a full section on Immigration. 

As Fred's last permanent address was displayed on his departure records as Daisy Bank .... etc (reply  # 16 ) perhaps a post on the relevant English county re Church Army activities circa 1925 may be useful.

Which country are you based in? 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 October 20 21:01 BST (UK) »
The Queensland State Archives may have a copy of his application and list of where he was placed.

https://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/items/ITM861862

They can be contacted for help https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/arts/heritage/archives/contacts

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline llamedoso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 09 October 20 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,

Thank you for the above information. I am based in Devon in England. Some of my relatives still live in Oxfordshire.
I am trying to navigate the Australian national archive website but I am finding it difficult to understand what I can view.

llamedoso

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 09 October 20 21:30 BST (UK) »
A photo of some of the church army farm lads who arrived in Brisbane on the Hobsons Bay
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article20959908

A little info about the scheme http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article180064882
 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article152223812

Ros

adding : whoops sorry the photo is from September 1925 - a later arrival
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline llamedoso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 09 October 20 21:34 BST (UK) »
I have looked through my notes and my cousin's notes who spoke to my grandmother about my great Uncle.
In the notes it shows he was going to go to Australia with a friend but he failed the medical test.

Fred.J had to pay £8 and work his passage and it took 6 weeks. He was last contacted in 1941 when his dad died. (I do not know who contacted him or if he replied) In 1961 at a family party my grandparents were told that Fred was possibly dead and that the salvation Army had tried to track him down but was unsuccessful.