Author Topic: Thomasina Edmond Kilmaronock  (Read 2055 times)

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomasina Edmond Kilmaronock
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 October 20 08:47 BST (UK) »
I think your best bet would be to email or phone them yourself. They will be able to tell you the exact details including who instructed the burial of Thomasina. If you explain who you are in relation to those in the lair and that you are a genealogist and can find no connection to the 6th person.
There’s a small chance it could be an admin error in the records.
Good luck, keep us posted.

I grew up near there in Drymen, I have been to several weddings and funerals in that church. Most importantly though I really fancied the ministers son when I was a teenager  ;D

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 October 20 06:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks again oldfashioned girl, I have sent a long email to the graves department.
I also grew up in the district, born and raised in Croftamie but don't remember a minister's son!
Regards,
bfr89x
Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 October 20 11:31 BST (UK) »
Morning bfr89x
There is something VERY strange about Thomasina Edmond, so strangethat she doesn't seem to exist in Scotland ?? ???
I put a search for her using the wild card, Thomasin* Edmon* on the first page of Scotlands People.
This should bring up all spelling variants for all records on the site. You can do this without using any credits.
None of the small amount of results fit in with what you were told.
There is a Thomasina Edmond'stone' but she is not in the right area in any record or dying at the said time.
My thoughts on this very intriguing matter are
1. The info you were told is mistakenly wrong.
2. She was born, brought up and died outwith Scotland but for some unknown reason is buried in your family plot ??
Can't wait for the next instalment  ;)
OFG

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 October 20 12:56 BST (UK) »
I too am all agog, having searched unsuccessfully for Th*s*na Ed*m*d on SP and FreeBMD.

There is a death of a Thomas W Edmond, aged 40, in Sculcoates in the June quarter of 1918. Is it conceivable that Thomas W has been misread as Thomasina? But even if it is, he appears to have no connections to Kilmaronock: born in Driffield, Yorkshire, in 1877, parents Thomas Edmond and Emily Featherston(e).

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 October 20 14:10 BST (UK) »
Nothing appears in the newspapers in 1918 for a Thomasina Edmond(s)/ Edmund(s) or a Thomas.

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 October 20 00:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you all. The plot thickens. I will post the Council response as soon as it comes to hand but as the office is currently closed and all enquiries are being answered via the website I didn't expect a quick reply.

On a brighter note I managed to track down OFG's minister's son, all the girls in the neighbourhood seemingly felt the same way!!
Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 09:07 BST (UK) »
 ;D
I always knew I never stood a chance !

I had a thought, in the middle of the night as I often do, could Thomasina Edmond have been a stillborn child ?
That would explain why there were no records pertaining to her.
The still born register didn’t begin in Scotland until 1939 and these things weren’t talked about in those times.
To be given the name Thomasina suggests that she was named after her farther or grandfather ??
How popular would her name have been at that time ?

Could this be a possibility?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 09:26 BST (UK) »
It's a very reasonable idea, though I have yet to see a record of the burial of a stillborn child with a given name.

If that is the case I'd have thought the burial record would say it was a stillborn child.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 October 20 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Problem solved and thank you to all who contributed. The person buried in the plot was Mrs Thomas Edmond, no Thomasinas here. She was a Muirhead and a sister to both my maternal great grandfather and great grandmother. Marrying first cousins!!!
I did however learn another piece of interesting information of a more general nature - it is a LAIR not a LAYER.
Regards,
Ron