Author Topic: why did Thomas go to the workhouse??  (Read 428 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
why did Thomas go to the workhouse??
« on: Sunday 11 October 20 14:43 BST (UK) »
So I have Thomas Ellis, born 14 November 1895, born in Paddington, the sixth of eight children. His father Vincent died in 1907 and in October that year Thomas was removed from school. In 1911 his widowed mother and all his siblings are living together in Marylebone: Thomas is missing. The only Thomas Ellis (no middle name) I can find who isn't definitely ruled out (ie listed as somebody else's son) is listed under Poplar Workhouse, as born in Bow and 'formerly carpenter's mate'. I'm not 100% convinced by this. The next time I definitely have him, Thomas joined the Great Western Railway at Old Oak Common station in 1919. I can't find a service record for 1914-18 for him. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very glad to hear them!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: why did Thomas go to the workhouse??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 October 20 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thomas is employed by GWR as an engine cleaner 6 June 1913
Left without notice, 6.1.14
Was that to join up? EDIT Probably not! ;D

Free index to 1911 census has a Thomas Ellis, 15, born London, in Cardiganshire.
Don't know how likely that one is.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7JG-HXP

John

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 October 20 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon, thanks for pointing that out -- I misread 1913 as 1919 so hey, that gives me slightly more data. No, not Cardiganshire -- he was born in Paddington!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 October 20 19:32 BST (UK) »
He joined GWR in 1913 left on 6 Jan 1914 but re-joined on 10 Jun 1919 which has all the hallmarks of  a term of military service.

I find no service record identifiable to him and army medal cards alone for Thomas Ellis number 355 and these don't have identifying personal details(and there are two other services and the Merchant Navy among others).

What was the mother's name/address in 1919 in case there is a pension record?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 October 20 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD, that's very helpful. Thomas's mother was Matilda Ellis and the address given on his older brother's service record for her (in 1914) is 284 Ladbroke Grove, Kensington.

Best wishes
Queencorgi

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 October 20 10:04 BST (UK) »
She also figures on the record of John Vincent Ellis who was called up in April 1916 but discharged almost immediately in May 1916.  I don't find her connected to a Thomas.

He may well be one of the many thousands whose service record was lost to bombing in WW2 and whose medal card, if there is one, is indistinguishable from all the other Thomas or T Ellis's.

I don't see an absent voters list on line for Kensington, that may be an avenue to try (British Library).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 October 20 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD, yes, John Vincent was Thomas's elder brother from where I gleaned the address. It's not a big deal but I think I've run into one of those dead ends! Thank you for your help!