Author Topic: Ah now I get it.  (Read 1060 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ah now I get it.
« on: Wednesday 14 October 20 15:30 BST (UK) »
Yesterday I was reading an old London parish register and several people were listed as living in what I thought was MEOI.  Spent ages trying to work out where this was.  This morning I realised that it wasn't an I but a T and it was Mile End Old Town.

Anyone else had an oh moment that made them feel a little daft for not seeing it before?
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Ah now I get it.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 20 05:04 BST (UK) »
Many times reading old documents, PharmaT. Just when I've thought I have worked out a word, I find it written more clearly or in a diffrrent context. Then I think, "Oh, that's what the word is". Much slapping of forehead.  ::)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 October 20 11:34 BST (UK) »
I often get this. Of course once you know what it ought to read, it becomes impossible to believe that it could ever have looked like anything else.

However there must be people who have the opposite problem working as transcribers. Many's the time I have come across the name of the census place plainly written in the "Born" column for someone but transcribed as something entirely different.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 20 12:02 BST (UK) »
My biggest "duh" (slaps forehead) moment came when I was researching a friend's lineage and found his 2x great grandfather on the census as a child living in Lancashire with his parents.  According to my reading of the enumerator's handwriting he was born in prison.  After much thought, I realised that he was actually born in Preston, - but I couldn't help thinking that an ancestor born in prison would be a very interesting addition to any family tree.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 October 20 14:20 BST (UK) »
Reading this I immediately thought of the Peter Kay sketch on miss heard song lyrics which can be viewed on YouTube. I can never listen to ‘We Are Family’ without hearing the line ‘just let me staple the Vicar’

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 October 20 15:18 BST (UK) »
I thought I had an unusual family name appearing "Homas". It was quite some time before I realised some of the lettering ran together and he was "Thomas"!!
rayard.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 20 15:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, we've all had those moments. I sometimes feel that I've had more than most.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 October 20 17:04 BST (UK) »
I had what I thought was an unusual name Miss D.Lila Noseworthy until a Family member pointed out that it was most likely Delilah. Lightbulb moment  ::)  ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU