Author Topic: Date and Photographer/artist unknown c1858 Belfast  (Read 527 times)

Offline lthorne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Date and Photographer/artist unknown c1858 Belfast
« on: Friday 16 October 20 01:46 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information about my great grand-daddy way back, William Lambell Roberts. He was a coastguard in various places in County Down. He was born in 1829 and I think that this photo was taken between 1858 and 1862. This is because it had to be on a ship to New Zealand in Jan 1863. I have had Auckland Art Gallery experts look at it, and they said it is a painted photograph. It is about 10x12 inches or so.

Has anyone seen any other examples? Know the photographer / artist? I presume Belfast.

photo attached

Offline lthorne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Date and Photographer/artist unknown c1858 Belfast
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 October 20 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi tomkin, yes, these can keep one occupied for hours. But no luck on my part for finding anything. A Belfast genealogical website even recommended Rootschat. That's how hard it is!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 October 20 01:59 BST (UK) »
Could the photo have been taken elsewhere at another time? Did he go to NZ in 1863, hence your date estimate?

Sometimes these overpainted images can be done at a later date - photos were sometimes reproduced, enlarged and coloured.

Is the image on card or paper and is there anything on the back?

That being said, he looks to be about 30 or 40 in that image, so dates might tally with your estimate.

Offline lthorne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 October 20 03:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie, no, he didn't go to NZ. The pictures were bought to NZ in Jan 1863. I have estimated the dates in conjunction with his coastguard records.

Unfortunately there is absolutely nothing to get any clues. I have wondered about the wood in the frames being a clue, but i do not know how to find out what it could be.

Do you think one of those UV light thingy's would show up something? i wonder if the brick wall he is leaning on may be something else. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 October 20 10:23 BST (UK) »
Could the photo have been taken elsewhere at another time? Did he go to NZ in 1863, hence your date estimate?
Sometimes these overpainted images can be done at a later date - photos were sometimes reproduced, enlarged and coloured.

This is what I've queried on your other photo thread.
If the sitter didn't leave the U.K. and picture ended up in Australia it could certainly have been sent out at a later date.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lthorne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 00:21 BST (UK) »
This painted photograph was bought to NZ in 1863 from Ireland as you see it. It is still in NZ. I am looking for similiar images taken between 1858 and 1862 from Ireland so i can ascertain the photographer. Thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 09:08 BST (UK) »
If you read reply #1 in your other thread it dates woman's picture to 1870 not 1860s or earlier.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=838800

Therefore it is entirely possible that one or both of the images did not get taken to N.Z. in 1863.
So, exactly what is the basis for saying 1863 is correct date. Were the pictures ever mentioned in a Will (either in Ireland or N.Z.)? Do you have a inventory from voyage? a letter stating this is so? family story passed down? or something else?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lthorne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 12:16 BST (UK) »
I respectfully request people respond to my initial enquiry if they have seen a similar image from the UK. Thanks.