Author Topic: Anne W Hamilton( McIntyre) and Janet Taylor Jack (McIntyre) Arran  (Read 931 times)

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Anne W Hamilton( McIntyre) and Janet Taylor Jack (McIntyre) Arran
« on: Friday 16 October 20 23:07 BST (UK) »
My uncle who passed away last year had many pictures that had been sent from Scotland to Family here in Canada. The above 2 ladies were my gr aunts. I have loads of pics they took and they had the foresight to write on the back of them.
Annes husband was Guy Hamilton and Jennys husband James Jack. What I am hoping to do is contact their children and such.
What I am looking for is their gravestones as I know nothing of their deaths. I know they lived up at Cairndhu cottage in Auchencairn above whiting bay. Does anyone know where the graveyard listings are for Arran.

Marc

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Anne W Hamilton( McIntyre) and Janet Taylor Jack (McIntyre) Arran
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 October 20 23:36 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for their deaths on Scotlands People to establish when they died?

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 October 20 23:44 BST (UK) »
No birthdates given for Ann & Janet

The Jack/Mcintyre marriage was 1932 & he was James Maxwell Jack but I can’t see a marriage for Ann to a Guy Hamilton   EDIT - see reply below - he was Gavin Hamilton - not Guy

No death for a Guy Hamilton

James Maxwell Jack died 1963 Ayrshire aged 56 & Janet Taylor Jack died 1961 Glasgow aged 57

There is a birth for an Ann Waterson McIntyre in 1901 in Bute - is that the right Ann (without an e)

If so Ann Waterson Hamilton  died 1975 aged 74 in Lamlash

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 October 20 00:06 BST (UK) »
Ann Waterson McIntyre  married GAVIN Hamilton 1926

Several possible deaths for Gavin but only one in Lamlash - 1973 aged 82

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 October 20 10:53 BST (UK) »
It's not unusual for the names Gavin and Guy to be used interchangeably.

Both marriage certificates are available to view online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk at modest cost. They will tell you the full names of all the couples' parents including the maiden surnames of their mothers.

That death in 1975 is Ann Waterson Hamilton, other surname McIntyre, mother's maiden surname Cumming*.

The index to the 1911 census lists two Annie McIntyres of the right age.
One in Kilbride aged 10, with Margaret, 37; John, 8; Janet, 6; and Willie, 4. This Janet's age is exactly right for Janet Taylor McIntyre or Jack. Janet Taylor Jack was born in Kilbride in 1904. So it looks as if this is the correct family.

Once you have Ann's parents' names from her marriage certificate, you could look at the original 1911 census records and see what they tell you. You could also look for and view the marriage certificates of all four sets of parents, assuming that they were married of course.

Ann isn't indexed in the 1901 census, and she is listed as 9 in 1911, so she must have been born after the day of the 1901 census. However in 1901 there is a family on Holy Isle, parish of Kilbride, consisting of John McIntyre, 72, born Argyll; son John McIntyre, married, 33; daughters Annie, 24 and Marion, 22; daughter-in-law Margaret, 27; grandson Robert Paterson, 5; and a boarder. The next household is that of William Hamilton.

There are two deaths of Gavin Hamiltons in Bute after 1900 - one in Brodick in 1970 aged 80 (so born 1889/1890) and the one already mentioned in Lamlash, who would have been born 1890/1891.

In the 1901 census there here is a Gavin Hamilton, aged 11 (so DoB 1889/1890), at Corrieghills Dhunan, parish of Kilbride, parents Lauchlan Hamilton and Elisa.
Also a 10-year-old Gavin (DoB 1890/1891) who from the 1891 census seems to be the son of David Hamilton and Catherine, also in the parish of Kilbride.

*(Mother's maiden surname was not included in the indexes before then. They are slowly adding this information to the indexes but they started in 1855 and are working forward and are nowhere near the 1970s so far. So this approach won't work for the other people mentioned.)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 October 20 11:59 BST (UK) »
As you are hoping to contact their children - you need to establish who they are (and whether they are still alive given the respective marriage dates for Ann & Janet)

As James Jack died after Janet - his death may have been reported by one of their children.  Same with Ann as she died after Gavin

You will note that James & Janet did not die in Buteshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 October 20 12:15 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where the graveyard listings are for Arran.
I would expect the burial records to be in the care of North Ayrshire Council https://www.north-ayrshire.gov.uk/home.aspx

Older records may be held on behalf of the council by Ayrshire Archives http://www.ayrshirearchives.org.uk/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 October 20 01:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you all. I have good records for Anne and Jenny birth wise, just was never sure of their deaths etc. Thank you for the Gavin/Guy info, so the info I did find was correct. Unfortunately, my grandfather never talked of his siblings so the info provided fills some gaps.
Cheers, Marc

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 October 20 02:10 BST (UK) »
Funny that I had looked on Scotland's people, figured I got something wrong. I do know one of Jennies sons may still be alive as he was living in Brodick the last I heard. He came with some cousins a few years back and visited my parents in here in Canada.  He and my dad had not seen each other since the early 60s. The Cumming reference is correct as that was my Gr grandmother's maiden name.
Again, thank you all.

Marc