Author Topic: Pennslyvania - Ottley  (Read 464 times)

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
Pennslyvania - Ottley
« on: Saturday 17 October 20 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
Wonder if anyone can throw any light on a Frederick Ottley born in the UK in the 1875. 

He travelled from England to Montreal 2 Oct 1903 on the Dominion. He ends up in Philadelphia Pennsylvania and dies there in 1941.  HIs wife Jane goes to Canada Nov. 1904  and then comes back to the UK April 1905. (as Mrs J OTTLEY).

I am wondering if there are any divorce records between Fred and Jane or if Fred remarried.

Thanks
Joanna

Tulip, Button, Slater, Clay, Sleeman, Laverick, Whordley, Rowell.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Pennslyvania - Ottley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 October 20 14:22 BST (UK) »
On his entry into the US on the Grand Trunk RR, Oct. 1905, he lists himself as married.  He is going to Philadelphia to join his cousin, Fred Hudson, in whose home he is listed as a boarder in the 1930 and 1940 censuses.  Also, his burial plot in Belvue Cemetery, is owned by Frederick Hudson.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 October 20 14:33 BST (UK) »

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 October 20 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Genealiza
I saw on Family Search that he named Fred Hudson as his next of kin on his war records, so that now makes sense.  In 1905 he was still married to Jane although by the time he arrived in the US, she had returned to the UK and given birth to their daughter. 

As MaureeninNY states I have got a thread which explains about Jane in the UK who was the 2nd wife of my great grandfather but under unclear circumstances.  They had a marriage cert but unless Jane had divorced Fred Ottley then it could have been bigamy.  She also 'marries' herself to Arthur Toft before this but no marriage can be found.
Tulip, Button, Slater, Clay, Sleeman, Laverick, Whordley, Rowell.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 October 20 17:53 BST (UK) »
When he filed a petition for naturalization as a US citizen on 13 November 1923 in Philadelphia, he said he was not married.
address: 2965 North Janney St, Philadelphia, occupation: carpenter. born Sunderland England 22 Aug 1874. Arrived from Canada via railroad on 5 October 1905.
He had declared his intention to be a citizen on 3 May 1920 in Philadelphia.

-----------
His US Social Security Applications information has a note that says: "25 Mar 1983: Name listed as FREDERICK OTTLEY"

That might mean there was some reason for someone to apply for benefits based on his account, or someone referenced his account on that date. I'm not sure.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 October 20 22:22 BST (UK) »
-----------
His US Social Security Applications information has a note that says: "25 Mar 1983: Name listed as FREDERICK OTTLEY"

That might mean there was some reason for someone to apply for benefits based on his account, or someone referenced his account on that date. I'm not sure.

I forget where I read it, but I remember reading that those dates are just random times that Social Security was just checking through everyone's accounts.  The entry for my father in that database gives a date that is unconnected to any time someone would be applying for benefits.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 October 20 23:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Now I just hope I remember that next time.