Author Topic: William Flower & Hannah Strange  (Read 355 times)

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Flower & Hannah Strange
« on: Monday 19 October 20 12:16 BST (UK) »
I am trying - and failing - to find more info on these two people. They're 4x great grandparents.

Here's what I have on them:

William:
born 1827, baptised 22 Jul 1827 in Nottingham
I have info on his parents.
1851 census a Carrier, pob Hyson Green, Nottinghamshire, living in Aspley Lane, Basford.

I have no other info on him that I'm after.

Hannah:
born 1828, baptised 25 May 1828 in Crich, Derbyshire
I have the 1841 census with her parents and the 1851 census with William which is the same as above.
1861 census she's with her parents living in Belpher with her parents and two children and is stated as married and a mill hand. The surname is spelt Flours.

They had two children that I can find:
William Flowers born 1851 in Basford. His surname was registered as Flower at birth. I have him up 'til they travel to USA in the 1880s then I lose him too.

Mary Ann Flowers born 1855 in Belpher.
I have all info on her. This is my line.

I am after info on the 1841 and any other census for William. And also his death and any other info on him.

I would like to find any more info on Hannah after the 1861 census. Remarriage and/or death info and other census info.

If that's possible please.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Flower & Hannah Strange
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 October 20 12:20 BST (UK) »
It's little us to us if you know what (say)  the parents of a particular person are.

What's wrong with telling us who/what/where they are?

You must logically also have more on the 1855 mary ann if she's your line.
What/where/with whom at each census?
When, where, What names/ages/occupation (including witnesses) on marriage?

Pauline

Marriages Dec 1848   (>99%)
BROWN    William        Belper    19   469    
Flower    William        Belper    19   469    
Harrison    Mary        Belper    19   469    
SOWTER    Charles        Belper    19   469   
Strange    Hannah        Belper    19   469    
Sutton    Hannah        Belper    19   469

FLOWER, WILLIAM       STRANGE  1851  D Quarter in BASFORD  Volume 15  Page 453
FLOWERS, MARY  ANN     STRANGE   1855  J Quarter in BELPER  Volume 07B  Page 426
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 October 20 12:42 BST (UK) »
I am not looking for any info on the parents of either Hannah or William but will give their names.

Hannah's parents were Mary Ann Alsop (1799-1873) & Thomas Strange (1804-1962). They were both born and died and were in Derbyshire on every census.

William's parents were William Flower (abt 1806-1855) & Rebecca (1806-1858). They were both born and died and were in Nottingham on every census.

Also,, yes I do have more info on Mary Ann but I've only put info in regarding William Flowers (Snr) and Hannah Strange as they are who I'm looking for more info on and neither of them appear in any census with either William (Jnr) and/or Mary Ann other than the 1851 & 1861 (for Hannah) censuses. But, for info, Mary Ann married a Henry Hayes & later on William Walton and moved and died in Leeds.

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 October 20 12:44 BST (UK) »
Also, sorry I forgot to put their marriage in the first post. They married on 25h Dec 1848 in Heage, Derbyshire.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 October 20 14:07 BST (UK) »
In 1881 Henry and Mary Ann are visiting with the ALLEN family in Sheffield.  Isn't Hannah ALLEN Mary Ann's mother?  The ALLEN children have STRANGE as the mother's maiden name on their birth registrations.

Debra  :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 October 20 14:39 BST (UK) »
So you have the Marriage of William FLOWER to Rebecca NEWHAM 25 December 1823
Nottingham, Nottinghamshire?
(F/S.Org)

And Rebeccas Bapt 25 Oct 1806 St Mary, Nottingham to WILLAM/ANN?
Likely Marriage 30 Nov 1801, Ann nee CLARK
(FreeREG)

William FLOWER Baptism 06/03/1805 St Mary to WILLIAM/SARAH

Marriage 17 Sep 1804 St Mary, William FLOWER to Sarah VARNEY

Both on Anc.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 October 20 14:52 BST (UK) »
Possible William Flower living in St Mary, Notts 1851 Census, Widr, FWK, born c 1780 Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
1841 he is in Snenton, Notts born c 1781, occp FWK
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 October 20 15:03 BST (UK) »
So you have the Marriage of William FLOWER to Rebecca NEWHAM 25 December 1823
Nottingham, Nottinghamshire?
(F/S.Org)

And Rebeccas Bapt 25 Oct 1806 St Mary, Nottingham to WILLAM/ANN?
Likely Marriage 30 Nov 1801, Ann nee CLARK
(FreeREG)

William FLOWER Baptism 06/03/1805 St Mary to WILLIAM/SARAH

Marriage 17 Sep 1804 St Mary, William FLOWER to Sarah VARNEY

Both on Anc.

Trish :)
Yes, I've got that info, but thanks for putting it up as it proves I was on the right path.

As I said, I have all the info on their parents, it's William Flower (1827) & Hannah Strange (1828) I'm on the lookout for.

In 1881 Henry and Mary Ann are visiting with the ALLEN family in Sheffield.  Isn't Hannah ALLEN Mary Ann's mother?  The ALLEN children have STRANGE as the mother's maiden name on their birth registrations.

Debra  :)
I have never put it together that that's 'my' Hannah Strange but you are correct regarding the maiden-name of the children. Everything else seems to point to you being correct too, such as the age of Hannah.

I am due out in a few minutes (hence the quick reply) but I've tried having a quick look for other censuses for everyone of the Allen family but I've been unable to find any of them.

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 October 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
Looking at my tree and the censuses it's a bit confusing with this Strange family.

Hannah Strange's youngest sister, Mary Ann Strange, married a William Allen in 1860 and had Louisa, Thomas, Bridget & Mary Ann Allen. In 1871 Mary Ann Allen (nee Strange) is with her mum, also Mary Ann, with Louisa & Thomas and also Hannah Strange's son William Flowers (albeit mistranscribed). In 1881 Mary Ann Allen is with her 4 children & is down as a widow.

Other Allen children with Strange mmn are:
John (1861)
Sarah Ann (1864)
Lizzie (1867, although I can't find a registration)

All these are with William 7 Hannah Allen in 1881.

Hannah Strange/Flowers/Allen is nowhere to be found in 1971 and neither are the children and/or William. That I can find anyway.

So it would seem that, if this Hannah is 'my' Hannah, there were two sisters having children during the same period both to a man called William Allen born around the late 1830s. And, checking again, 'both' William Allens state they were born in Hazelwood/Hazlewood.