Author Topic: William and Jemima Williams  (Read 416 times)

Offline Mary Beth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hello!
    • View Profile
William and Jemima Williams
« on: Monday 19 October 20 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hello.

I've been searching for census records, or any records at all from William and Jemima Williams.  William was born about 1800 in Pennsylvania, and his wife Jemima about 1806 in Bucks County, PA.  They had 2 children that I know of John Williams born about 1841 and Eliza, who married a Cartwright.  I believe Jemima died sometime after 1859.  Thank you.
Countries:  U.S.A., Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales, Germany, Holland

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William and Jemima Williams
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 00:49 BST (UK) »
You didn't say how much you knew about the children. Do you know when and where Eliza or John married?

Here are a few things probably for their son John.
Pvt John Williams
Birth    29 Dec 1841
Pennsylvania, USA
Death    21 Dec 1909 (aged 67)
Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, USA
Burial    Westminster Cemetery
Bala Cynwyd, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, USA
Plot    Section: Evergreen, Lot : 327
Memorial ID    58087274

Son of William and Jemima (Russell) Williams.

WILLIAMS – On December 21, 1909 JOHN WILLIAMS son of the late William and Jemina Williams age 68 years. Relative and friends of the family, also survivors of the 73d Regiment P.V. and Union Veteran Legion are invited to attend funeral on Friday at 2 o'clock from his late residence, 172 Carson St. Manayunk. Interment at Westminster Cemetery. (Philadelphia Inquirer, 1909-12-21)

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/58087274/john-williams

------------
John Williams
born 29 December 1841, Pennsylvania
died 21 December 1909, Philadelphia
died at 172 Carson, Ward 21, Philadelphia
white, male, married
father: Wm Williams, born in Pennsylvania
mother: Jamima Russell, born in Pennsylvania
informant: J T Ryan, Manayunk [the undertaker]
buried: Westminster Cemetery, December 24, 1909

[Manayunk is a neighborhood in Philadelphia]

---------------
I found this for Jemima Russell. It might be the one you are looking for:
Bucks County Tax Records, 1814
"Poor children between the age of 12 and 5 years"

parents names: Thomas Russell
chlidren's names: Polly Russell, Kesiah Russell, Jamimah Russell, Malinda Russell

--------------
There is a William Williams baptized at Hilltown Baptist Church, Hilltown,  Bucks County, on December 8, 1799. He was dismissed from the congregation January 16, 1819

4 other Williams baptisms on the page. on September 29, 1799: Isaac, Benjamin, Eleanor, and Thomas Williams

There is no guarantee that is the man you are looking for. It is a common name.

------------
And I'm assuming the man you are looking for is white. There is a black William Williams on the records in Bucks County about the same time.

Offline Mary Beth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hello and thank you for your reply.  I do have that information, thank you.  John Williams married about 1864, possibly Reading, Berks County, PA to Emma Humbert.  I don't know when Eliza married.  I only have that information from and Orphans Court Record in Bucks County.  I find it strange that I can't find William or Jemima in any census records.

Kindly,

Mary Beth

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 14:07 BST (UK) »
here are a few for starters, I don't know if any of them is the man you are looking for, or related.
indexed at ancestry, but not at familysearch, as far as I can tell:
1840 Buckingham Township, Bucks Co
William Williams household
1 male 10 to 14
1 male 40 to 49
1 female 10 to 14
1 female 40 to 49

(all free white persons)

line above him is
Edward Williams who is younger than William and has 2 boys and a girl. wife is 40 to 49

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GYT5-3FN?i=20&wc=31SJ-VZF%3A1588669737%2C1588669830%2C1588670546&cc=1786457

---------
There is a Widow Williams in Buckingham Twp 1830, who might be worth looking at. Is she William's mother? Is William in this household as the oldest male, 30 to 39? and are at least some of the young children his? Edward could be there also, I lost count of the # of adults, but more than one family, I'd guess.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XHGR-HK7

-------
1850 Buckingham Twp
there is a William Williams, 58, but his wife is Lucy, and there are no Williams children at home. Is he the man who was there in 1840? If so, he is probably not your man.
the names before and after him on the census don't match the names in 1840, but a negative doesn't prove anything in this case.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M445-NN9

(Edward Williams is still in Buckingham Twp in 1850.)

---------
earlier:

There are 2 William Williams in Nockamixon Township, Bucks Co, list of taxable inhabitants, received Nov 6, 1800

is one a relative? father? which way did people move in this time period? I don't know.

For what it is worth, there is no William Williams in Nockamixon Twp in 1840 on ancestry.com's index.

and There is a Wm Williams in Falls Township, Bucks, in 1800, same tax list. But farther away from the area we have been looking at. so not as likely to be the family you are looking for.

--------
no trace of Jemima or son John in 1850, in just a quick look. Both should be listed by name in 1850.

-------
You will have to sort these out and look for more. try looking just for a last name or first name, or use wildcards. sometimes they aren't indexed right. If you become fairly sure of the exact township he is in, then browse all the pages.

Offline Mary Beth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hello.

Thank you for your help.

Mary Beth