Author Topic: Score through on a parish birth record  (Read 499 times)

Offline clairemmain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Score through on a parish birth record
« on: Tuesday 20 October 20 07:23 BST (UK) »
To my recollection I've never come across this before, so I want to be sure as to what it means.

My 5xgreat grandfather James Angus was born c. 1780 in Peterhead, according to every census entry for him.  He died in 1870, aged 90, and his parents were listed as William Angus, Farmer and Ann Angus née Mowat.

Attached (https://imgur.com/a/VfaJCV6) is a parish record reading: Willm Angus in the Parish of Longside, had a son born, named James Angus.

Makes sense, and James lived his entire life in Longside as far as I can see.  The record is scored through, and I wish to know, in others experience, what this could mean.  My theory is based on the fact that every other entry on that page is for a baptism and James' states 'born': is it possible it was recorded in the wrong place and scored out?  There is a record for a James Angus in Peterhead being baptised in 1781, though his father's occupation is listed as Maltster.

Any advice welcome and greatly appreciated!
McGillivray (Aberdeenshire), Williamson (Ross and Cromarty)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Score through on a parish birth record
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 11:22 BST (UK) »
If he lived in Longside and the census consistently says he was born in Peterhead, he was not born in Longside, because Longside is a separate parish in its own right, not part of the parish of Peterhead.

https://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/parish/Aberdeen/Longside

There are actually two records of baptisms of James Angus, father William, in Peterhead - one on 13 February 1780, father recorded as Willm, and the one on 15 January 1781 that you have already found.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline clairemmain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 11:30 BST (UK) »
If he lived in Longside and the census consistently says he was born in Peterhead, he was not born in Longside, because Longside is a separate parish in its own right, not part of the parish of Peterhead.

https://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/parish/Aberdeen/Longside

There are actually two records of baptisms of James Angus, father William, in Peterhead - one on 13 February 1780, father recorded as Willm, and the one on 15 January 1781 that you have already found.

Morning Forfarian, sorry, I don't think I was clear enough in my original post.

The first one you reference, 13 February 1780, is the one attached.  It's a birth registered in Peterhead that states the father, William Angus, is from Longside.  That is why I said it makes sense that the record mentions Longside (despite it being a different parish), as James spent most of his life there (both marriages, all kids registered in Longside).

The second one is the one I mentioned as referring to the dad as the Maltster.

Does that make sense?  Any thoughts on the score through?
McGillivray (Aberdeenshire), Williamson (Ross and Cromarty)

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 12:07 BST (UK) »
Could be anything really.
The parish records were never intended for public scrutiny. The birth may have been entered elsewhere in the book, or in another parish, or perhaps they were crossing out those who had paid baptismal fees etc.? It could really be anything.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 12:06 GMT (UK) »
That record is a bit all over the place, as the list is in reverse chronological order, so it could be that the entry for James Angus is just in the wrong place. Is it possible to see the pages on either side? It's in a different hand, so could have been a note written in haste to record elsewhere.

Might also be worth checking if there are kirk session records for that period for Longside, to see if there's any hint of anything the church might have thought worth noting.