Author Topic: "Union House", Trelech a'r Bettws, 1861 Census  (Read 519 times)

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Union House", Trelech a'r Bettws, 1861 Census
« on: Saturday 24 October 20 16:13 BST (UK) »
I am looking at the Rees family being: David(34) Draper & Grocer, Anna(33) his wife, David(11), William(6), with five more over the page, (pages 7 & 8 of 15) who at the date of the 1861 census (RG9/4144) are living at Union House,Trelech (a'r Bettws), there is an unoccupied 'Lodge' one line up (page 7) and the Old Inn and a Draper & Grocer's shop a few lines up again.  I have been looking on O.S. six inch maps of the era in an attempt to find that part of the countryside where Union House, or perhaps the Old Inn with a nearby shop might have been, back in the day.  I have currently settled for the Trelech to be found at map reference: 51.944863, -4.500932 or alternatively at Post Code SA33 6QY.

I would be interested to hear from any readers with local knowledge of the area, if I might be in the right general area.

Thank you JohnG_Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline CliffR

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Union House", Trelech a'r Bettws, 1861 Census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I am a descendant of William F. Rees, Isaac Newton's brother. I have also been trying to figure out the location of Union House - sadly I too have failed. Nevertheless I have looked at the 1851 Census which locates the Rees family at 'Havodwenog' in Trelech - which happens to be the name of the primary school (actually Hafodwenog but close enough for me). I think this confirms that we are in the right general area.

btw thank you for the Zoar grave photos and text - I also had been struggling with the fate of Elizabeth Thomas/Rees. Daughter Beryl Griffiths lived in Hendon in the '30s so the pieces fit together.

CliffR