Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 24th October  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 24th October
« on: Saturday 24 October 20 21:32 BST (UK) »
A strange day of ups and downs. Woke up about 5am with a horrible feeling of impending doom, in my half awake state I couldn't shake it off so put the light on and read for an hour or so. Went back to sleep after that and woke quite late. Thank goodness I'd managed to shake off that feeling, no idea what caused it. A friend phoned late morning, it was great to have a chat despite the fact that we did spend some time bemoaning the current situation! I think our feelings are those of a lot of people at the moment, there doesn't seem to be anything to look forward to. We're both infuriated by people who refuse to take any commonsense measures to prevent the spread of the virus. It was great to talk anyway.

Had some lunch then went for a walk. It was fine when I went out, it had been windy all morning, it had dropped a bit by then. Nice walk through the woods, wasn't going to go down the narrow path but it was somehow beckoning to me. I haven't been down there for a while as the paths have been so muddy but it was pretty dry. Got most of the way along it, saw that there was a big black cloud coming and felt a few spots of rain so turned back It got a bit heavier, I'd taken a woolly hat with me in case I needed it, put it on rather than my hood. By the time I got back to the field it was quite heavy and when I got to the field entrance it was raining hard. Took the hat off and put my hood up for the short walk along my road. My jacket was wet but I wasn't, my jeans were also wet but my feet were dry in my new shoes. Not bothered these days about getting my jeans wet.

Had a cuppa then unpacked the parcel that had arrived this morning, it was a desk pencil sharpener like the one my art teacher has, hers sharpens pencils to a lethal point. Set it up and tried it on various types of pencil, it didn't sharpen them at all. Tried a number of times and made sure I was doing it right but it just didn't work, it was driving me mad. There were a number of reviews from people who had the same problem but there were many more good reviews. It'll have to go back, it wasn't cheap. Packed it back in the box it had arrived in and taped it up then realised that part of the return label has to go inside the box, grrr!

By that time it was really grey and wet outside, too dingy to do any artwork. Instead I took all of my art materials out of the cupboards and rearranged them in a more sensible order. Whether I can find things more quickly in future remains to be seen.

Had been intending to do some housework today so damp dusted in the lounge then got the vacuum cleaner out. It was okay for a while then started pulsing, the info I found online said it was the filter that needed washing so I did that. It takes some time to dry so I don't know whether that's worked or not. Was fed up by that time, it had been a very frustrating afternoon. Emptied the dishwasher, took out a shallow metal dish and found that the non stick coating was peeling away, it's useless now.
Looked in the freezer to see what I could make for tea. I didn't want to put much effort into it but thought I'd have to as I didn't want to eat the things I had ready to just heat, it would mean eating more red meat. Luckily I found a portion of chicken in pasta sauce so had that with some wine to accompany it.

Such a frustrating afternoon, I felt like I'd got nowhere. Ah well, tomorrow is another day. Hope others have had a more fruitful one.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 24th October
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 October 20 22:09 BST (UK) »
An overcast day with occasional showers and somewhat breezy.   Hermes delivery around 11.30 - same driver as usual, we'll be on first name terms soon!   Virtually everything I've ordered online (different places) is being delivered by Hermes.   My b-in-law says they are the cheapest courier at the moment.   Just got back upstairs and the doorbell went again - this time it was the postman with some books I'd ordered from Abe Books.  Plenty of reading matter in hand now.

Met up with my sister and a friend in a furniture store restaurant for lunch - limited menu so had a cheese jacket potato.   Hadn't seen friend since early September so it was great to catch up with her.   Then my sister and I went to Matalan which is just down the road.   Had to queue to get in as numbers monitored.   Part of my present to my sister for her birthday was a Matalan voucher - you can now order a gift card (sent through the post) or you can opt for an e-card which you can print off.   This I had duly done and printed off - had a bar code with number underneath.   I only bought a roll-neck sweater but sister had 3 items.   I paid and was out in no time but she was taking ages - she eventually beckoned me over and said that the e-voucher wasn't working.   By this time there were 2 people trying to sort this out.   Both said they hadn't seen these vouchers before and although they scanned the barcode (and entered manually the number shown underneath) it just wouldn't register on the till.   So, an irate sister will be phoning customer service at Matalan on Monday.   What's the point of them giving you the option of receiving an e-voucher if it won't work instore and the staff have never seen them before or been made aware of them.   I can only assume it's a new thing and hope it can be sorted soon as funnily enough I received one of these on my birthday too (from niece).  Didn't use mine today as I only bought one item.   

After leaving Matalan went back to my sisters for a coffee.   Got home around 5pm.   

ASDA didn't have my usual Saturday fish and chips this week so had some spicy potato wedges and quiche for dinner.

Haven't picked my knitting today and think it's about time I did.

Luckily, during my foray out today I managed to avoid the showers but tonight has been extremely windy so glad to be indoors in the warm.

Hope tomorrow will be a better day for you, Roobarb.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 October 20 01:52 BST (UK) »
Well done for sorting out your art cupboard Roobarb!  Now you’ll never find a thing 😢... good to get out for your walk too, I admire your fortitude going out every day...
 always good to chat and to know others feel the same way as you do... it’s reassuring in a strange way...

You have been busy Annette, shopping and eating out too... you’re braver than I am to do that... but I think the numbers of cases in your area is lower than other places...

Today was a dull, quite windy and later on heavy rain.... glad to be indoors... didn’t venture out at all today....
OH had gone off to golf by the time I got up... after breakfast amended my shopping order again, discovered one lot of wine I’d ordered was not in stock so found a suitable replacement... ordered some books from A..... got in a flap as noticed it was on prime so cancelled the order, re ordered only to discover it’s free for a month and now I’ve ended up with two lots coming tomorrow.... one will have to go back... daft idiot!
Using my new vacuum I cleaned all the sofas with one if the tool attachments, works well...
Decided to call a friend and we had a good chat... both feeling pretty much the same about the country’s situation... nice to know ones thoughts are not in isolation....
Busy cutting out as many face coverings I could out of fabric I’ve been given... almost 200 by the time I’d finished!
Had some lunch and got back to cutting and started sewing...OH arrived home... got on better with new clubs today glad about that as they’re not cheap!
Rain was really battering against the windows so nice to be indoors... still not really cold enough to switch heating on ... incredible for nearly end of October...
Dinner was turkey bake with lots green veg and glasses of wine...
Watched lovely programme Scotland from the air... I think didn’t see right from the beginning so not quite sure of the title... all coastal areas with harbours very interesting...
Watched The Irishman... film on Netflix... goodness what a long film ... gone 1pm when we came to bed... good job clocks go back tonight ....

That it for today.... hope others day hasn’t been to bad.   
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 October 20 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like we all had a fairly normal type of Saturday. I think it is only when it is written it down we realise it wasn't earth shattering!
Several ticks on Roobarb's list, a huge pile of sewing cut out Caroline, and a lovely family meet up for Annette despite the annoying voucher situation.
What did I do?  The sky barely lightened all day here, very strong winds and persistent rain until after dark so we managed only a quick walk along the front about 4:30.
No doubt H would say it was a good day as he watched lots of rugby and football on TV, and I wouldn't argue as I sat and read several chapters of his new Ken Follett book, which I am enjoying.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 October 20 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Annette, lovely for you to get together with your friend and sister, hope you get the Matalan issue sorted out. I can well believe that Hermes is the cheapest courier, no doubt that's down to the fact that they reduced payments to their delivery people by 50% early on in the pandemic as they had lots of people clamouring for jobs. Disgraceful.

Caroline, I'd make the most of your free Prime trial while you (mistakenly!) have it. I've just ended mine but I made sure I got lots of things I wanted while it was active. You also get access to First Reads, you can choose two books, I got This Magnificent Dappled Sea, it was a really good read, particularly interesting to genealogists. Just make sure you set a reminder to cancel before the 30 days are up!

MH - which Ken Follett book are you reading? Great author. Have you read Pillars of the Earth?
Hope you have some better weather today.

Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 October 20 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks, better in patches today.
Book is prequel the Pillars of the Earth.
Titled: The Evening and the Morning.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 October 20 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Think I'll wait a while for that one, it's currently nine quid on Kindle  :o
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 October 20 15:59 GMT (UK) »
It is huge and would probably cause your kindle to explode!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 October 20 16:04 GMT (UK) »
I have home access to 'RB digital' through my county library card and it is showing on there though I would have to join the queue for it.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk