Author Topic: A question of Birch's  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: A question of Birch's
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 31 October 20 01:29 GMT (UK) »
In 1861 at Oxton

John FOULDES   58    Oxton  (wheelwright)
Martha                  50
John                      23
James                  20
George HEROD   14  (nephew) 
Mary HARVEY        5  (visitor)   Southwell
Sarah HARVEY      3   (visitor)  Southwell

RG9/2471 pg39

Modified to add:
On familysearch transcribed as FOULDER
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7DV-K3S

So his birth year has changed again.

FOULDES, JOHN mmn BIRCH 
GRO Reference: 1838  M Quarter in SOUTHWELL  Volume 15  Page 644

FOULDS, JAMES mmn BIRCH 
GRO Reference: 1840  D Quarter in SOUTHWELL  Volume 15  Page 627

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
  • Photo is 2020 me. Got fed up with my old silly one
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 31 October 20 15:43 GMT (UK) »
So his birth year has changed again.

FOULDES, JOHN mmn BIRCH 
GRO Reference: 1838  M Quarter in SOUTHWELL  Volume 15  Page 644

FOULDS, JAMES mmn BIRCH 
GRO Reference: 1840  D Quarter in SOUTHWELL  Volume 15  Page 627

Jamjar

I have noticed a lot of dates and ages change all over the place! I know James's birth because I have a copy of his birth certificate. Born 4th October 1840.

So at least that part is pretty fixed.

MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 08:28 GMT (UK) »
I am just looking at Mary Foulds/Fouldes (nee Birch).

I think she married John Foulds/Fouldes on 5 Apr 1825 in Oxton, Notts. She had 6 children up to and including James Foulds/Fouldes (born 1840). She is on the 1841 census with her husband and her 5 surviving children.

On 4 Apr 1844 he had married Martha Birch (not sure if she was a relative of Mary?).

This is what I would like someone to help me with. I think Mary MAY have died in 1843 - could anyone see this with a burial or death notice?
I also think she MAY have died during around the time of giving birth to a Martha. (There is a death listed in Free BMD for Martha Fouldes in 1843). Is there a burial notice for this?

I find it unusual that John and Martha never had children. Unless they only got married so she could look after the children in his household. Anyhow I will never know that!

Thanks all!
MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 09:59 GMT (UK) »
The death of Mary FOULDES in Jun qtr 1843 certainly fits. It was registered at Southwell, which is the registration district for Oxton, and she was 38 according to the GRO, which also fits with her age from the 1841 census.

The birth registration of Martha FOULDES at Southwell Mar qtr 1843 has mother's maiden name BIRCH. and she died in the same quarter.

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 10:33 GMT (UK) »
The death of Mary FOULDES in Jun qtr 1843 certainly fits. It was registered at Southwell, which is the registration district for Oxton, and she was 38 according to the GRO, which also fits with her age from the 1841 census.

The birth registration of Martha FOULDES at Southwell Mar qtr 1843 has mother's maiden name BIRCH. and she died in the same quarter.

Yes that seems to add up with what I already know. The fact that they died in the same quarter makes me think it was a related death.

Cheers
MJ

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Burials Oxton
24 March 1843 Martha Fouldes infant
29 March 1843 Mary Fouldes aged 38
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Burials Oxton
24 March 1843 Martha Fouldes infant
29 March 1843 Mary Fouldes aged 38

Thank you. So kind as always!
MJ