Author Topic: Michael Quigley (651) Third Leinster Regiment Stationed at Crinkill Barracks  (Read 977 times)

Offline redcap0006

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Quigley (651) Third Leinster Regiment Stationed at Crinkill Barracks
« on: Wednesday 28 October 20 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
looking for advice, direction, or anything really as I am stuck.
Doing the family tree. My granddads brothers, Thomas Quigley, William Quigley and Michael Quigley are all said to have joined the army.  Records reflect Thomas was in the 8th Hussars and William the Connaught Rangers. Records exist to support this.  Michael Quigley the story goes joined the Third Leinster Regiment in 1895 at Birr Co Offaly (Kings County). He lived Birr at that time. I am told he was stationed at Crinkill Barracks and that he died while serving in the Lancaster Regiment. I found mention of the other two during their lifetimes and am a bit peturbed that I havent found a thing for Michael after 1900. Suggesting he did indeed die 1900. Michael Quigley was born 18/02/1872 at Boginfin Athlone Co Roscommon Parish St Peters the son of Thomas Quigley and Anne Gallagher. Suggestions, help, answers, good news all welcomed as are long lost relatives. I am myself a Quigley from Athlone.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Quigley (651) Third Leinster Regiment Stationed at Crinkill Barracks
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

Fold3 which is a subscription site (there is a Free Trial) has a record for Michael b Boginfin
Enlisted: 18th October1889, Tullamore Ireland
Regiment:   100th Foot (Leinsters), Service Number: 681

It is also on FindmyPast - again subscription site.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Quigley (651) Third Leinster Regiment Stationed at Crinkill Barracks
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 October 20 08:35 GMT (UK) »
He wasn't a full time soldier. He was a militia man in 3rd Battalion, Leinster Regiment. He didn't turn up for the annual training camp in 1897 and was struck off the register in July of that year.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 October 20 08:45 GMT (UK) »
There was a Michael Quigley (7461) with 3rd Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment who died of enteric fever at De Aar, Cape Colony in 1900 but you can eliminate him - he was born in Blackburn circa 1880.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 October 20 09:40 GMT (UK) »

Crinkill Barracks in Crinkill south of Birr, Co Offaly.
GeoHive Historic Map 25 inch (1888-1913)
https://bit.ly/35NC8HK
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crinkill_Barracks

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline redcap0006

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 October 20 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ShaunJ
Thank you heywood
Thank you Kiltaglassen
I did find the Michael who died SA, I contacted a Boer War site and happy (not really) that Michael from Blackburn was not him
Most welcome is the other information he was Militia, and the information provided by you will be added immediately to the family tree. What a fabulous bunch you are and if anybody else reading this with further information Please post. Thank you again, stay safe Gary Quigley

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 October 20 13:42 GMT (UK) »
He wasn't a full time soldier. He was a militia man in 3rd Battalion, Leinster Regiment. He didn't turn up for the annual training camp in 1897 and was struck off the register in July of that year.

So does this mean that he was last heard of in 1897 and not 1900 as thought?
Is there an address for him?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 October 20 13:52 GMT (UK) »
When he first attested in 1889 his address was c/o Thomas Quigley, Main Street, Phillipstown, Kings County. When he attested again in 1894 his address was Gate House, Athlone.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 August 22 10:43 BST (UK) »

Crinkill Barracks in Crinkill south of Birr, Co Offaly.
GeoHive Historic Map 25 inch (1888-1913)
https://bit.ly/35NC8HK - Link no longer works in 2022
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crinkill_Barracks

New link-
https://arcg.is/1XXu0P

Click MapGenie 25 Inch in Basemap Gallery

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo