Author Topic: Relatives in the Braintree Union Workhouse, Essex  (Read 622 times)

Offline Oldhasbeen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Relatives in the Braintree Union Workhouse, Essex
« on: Friday 30 October 20 09:26 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching one of my great-grandparents, Alfred Bryant, b1846 in Braintree, Essex

In the 1851 Census:
- Alfred was listed as a "Lodger", with a lady called Ann Jarvis, a nurse aged 60-64
- Three of Alfred's siblings, Caroline Bryant, Charles Bryant & Walter Bryant were "scholars" in the Braintree Union Workhouse
- The other two, Emma & Arthur, lived with their parents, Spencer & Caroline Bryant

In the 1861 Census, Alfred is in the Braintree Union Workhouse with his brother Arthur. (Ann Jarvis may have died in 1855.)

It sounds like my great-great grandparents had a lot more children than they could afford, but I'd really like to understand more about what was going on here. Is there any way I could examine the Braintree Union Workhouse records? (I could travel to Essex if need be)

thanks for any help!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Relatives in the Braintree Union Workhouse, Essex
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 October 20 10:56 GMT (UK) »
The workhouses sites by Peter Higginbotham are very good for information on what is available on each one. 

Here is the link to Braintree.  http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Braintree/
Information on what records are available is towards the bottom of the page
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 November 20 14:38 GMT (UK) »
The records for Braintree Poor Law Union are stored at the Essex Record Office. To see their catalogue go to
https://www.essexarchivesonline.co.uk/

On the top righthand side in the Document Reference box type: G/Br

This will produce a list of all the records they hold. It looks that few have survived from the period you want. Only the Minutes of the Board of Guardians has survived. There is an outside chance that you ancestor may be mentioned in there if his case was particularly noteworthy for various reasons. But as I say only only an outside chance. It is rare that individuals are discussed in the minutes.

Offline Oldhasbeen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 November 20 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!