Author Topic: Hendersons of Bristol: Driving me crazy  (Read 2347 times)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: Hendersons of Bristol: Driving me crazy
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 11:26 GMT (UK) »
CT: Thank you for the TNA ref, will add to db soonest. Donald Jones's book has always been an excellent source for Bristol info (we were in contact many years ago)

Gd: The likely death for Samuel Peach appears to be at St Mary, Olveston 20 May 1785. Book above says he was of Tockington, which seems to be the same place ... Google maps shows the Olveston & Tockington Methodist Church.
But might this be an even dafter connection - Ancestry picked out another Samuel Peach death 1782 in Matlock, Derbyshire - not the Bristol refiner, too early, but given Vance's Derbyshire find ??
Thank you for the Bristol Sugar Ref Co info. Earlier than the date I have, but the earlier date makes sense. It was in Old Market until about 1912, the last of Bristol's refiners.
(BTW - everything's useful/relevant  ;) )

Vance: Thanks for info. The B&GAS books are great, lots of very detailed sugar info all researched and written up by the late I V Hall of Bristol.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Sugarbakers, Thomas Terrett Taylor, a relative of Anthony's wife (she mentions him in her will, and I think he's her cousin's child?) was involved with the British Sugar Refinery Co., Ltd, circa 1863, on the financing side, I think, as he was a goldsmith.

Do you have a reference for this, please ?

His probate shows Alfred Terrett Taylor (son I think) as sugar refiner, confirmed in censuses ... maybe the family reason for financing a very late sugarhouse.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 14:08 GMT (UK) »
"Geordie Daughter"

Marriage at Bristol, St Werbugh,

Anthony HENDERSON of this Parish
and
Sarah TERRETT

Married in this Church by Licence

19 day of September 1772

by me: D S HAYNES

signed: Anthy HENDERSON (lovely writing!!)
Sarah TERRETT

In the Preference of Wm YEGTOMES???

Richd Cooke Winpenny

----

Uk Poll Books & Electoral Register - 1774

Bristol St Nicholas

WINPENNY Richard Cooke ------- Wine Merchant.  (Probably in charge of 'booze' at the Reception!!1)

(Tried to attach copy of witness but seems file too large!!

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 14:23 GMT (UK) »

Richard Cooke WINPENNY - the witness at Anthony's wedding.....

married

Rachel TERRETT - 18 August 1770  at Bristol St James

again by Licence

witnesses:

Wm PROFSOR and E TOWNSEND

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 16:34 GMT (UK) »
SB: I had a little wander around the internet this morning while entering all my notes on my database and there are TWO Samuel Peaches. One was b.1725, d.1790, "of Minchinhampton, Glos," a London merchant, Director of the East India Co. on several occasions, and politician. His COUSIN of the same name is our man - he was the Bristol merchant whose daughter married Henry Cruger, and in 1774, he bought the Tockington estate (including Tockington House/Manor which is now a boarding school) off Henry Cassamajor. Just to confuse things Sam's daughter Ellin had a son called Samuel Peach Cruger who later changed his name to Samuel Peach Peach, and it looks as if he might have lived for a while at Tockington House, too, though I didn't go into it all too deeply. Tockington is a small village just south of Olverton, roughly ten miles from Bristol. Sam Peach may have chosen the area precisely because there were Quaker and Methodist congregations at Olverton from pretty early on. (Google is a wonderful thing, isn't it?) The purchase of Tockington House, etc, might be one reason why Samuel P disappeared from the sugar refining scene, but then he also had ongoing interests in the Caribbean. Details for him tend to be a bit thin on the ground, but that may be because he was involved in the slave trade which isn't a very popular subject just now.

I didn't think to jot down a specific reference, to Thos. T. Taylor, I'm afraid: he happened to pop up in a B.I.A.S. article, online, about the Old Market Refinery. He was one of several men involved in setting up Bristol Sugar. I found him when I typed his name into Google out of curiosity, and he's also listed in the book Vance gave the link to, as he was a goldsmith. If you can't track him down, I'll retrace my steps and make a note of the link for you this time. I only skimmed through Sarah Henderson's will very quickly on Sunday, so would have to check the relationship details for you in case I've got it muddled.

CT: Thank you so much, you've gone to a lot of trouble for me! Yes, handy man to know, Mr Winpenny, and if he was Anthony's bro-in-law, did they get a discount on the booze? I'd have hated to be an outsider trying to set up a business in Bristol back then, because it really was all about WHO you knew. Thanks to Vance, I discovered Henry Browne trained up not just one but two of his brother-in-law's sons in the jewellery trade and the older of them went on to become his partner in 1822.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Knew there was something else I had to add: The mystery place near Swansea where the Goddards were living when Henry Browne wrote his will was SKETTY. Lower Sketty had loads of villas put up by men with "new money," all built overlooking Swansea Bay and the Mumbles, apparently, so odds are the Goddards were renting one of them. Sketty Park House was built in 1818, and there were also three Regency villas which appear to have been used to house the Bible College of Wales until around 2009.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Geordie Girl, you are gathering enough info to write a Story!  Perhaps even a Bristol Saga on the tele! 

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 18:54 GMT (UK) »
I didn't think to jot down a specific reference, to Thos. T. Taylor,..........

Thanks for the directions ... got it ... 1969 publication
https://www.b-i-a-s.org.uk/BIAS_Journal2_OLD_MARKET_SUGAR_REFINERY.pdf
... I think there's more in there for me  ;D

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Sugarbakers: Oh, good! It was quite an interesting article. You do realise that every time I come across a sugar baker reference I'm going to be bombarding you from now on?

Capetown: Yes, it's a bad habit of mine! I collect snippets of information like squirrels collect nuts. I've actually got enough to fill several books in my Newton line alone, if I add in some of the more interesting side branches. I've been promising to send my mum a print-off of everything I've found for several years now, but the minute I start doing a pre-print check for errors, I find something else that absolutely has to be added, and I'm off on the hunt again...

As for writing a Bristol Saga, Bristol is choc-a-bloc with fascinating characters, and we haven't even scratched the surface yet. Some of the higher profile merchant families have a fair bit written about them but most have got lost in the depths of history, which is a shame. It's amazing just how many of them were Dissenters too, at a time when it wasn't terribly safe to be one. Sadly, all that people seem to be focusing on these days is Bristol's part in the slave trade, but that isn't the half of the story.