Author Topic: Help with Latin docs c1720  (Read 2571 times)

Offline muzzakiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Latin docs c1720
« on: Sunday 01 November 20 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi - would any kind person be able to translate these documents please.
Thank you.
Murray

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Latin docs c1720
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 November 20 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Evenwood
To this court came John Handson, son and heir of John Handson deceased, and he took from the lord one parcel of land containing by estimation eight virgates in length and four virgates in width, with a house built upon it, now in the occupation of the aforesaid John Handson, which the aforesaid John Handson’s late father held by right whilst he lived; to hold to the same John Handson ^the son^ and his descendants by right, according to the custom of the court, paying thenceforth the previously accustomed annual rent at the usual times; and he gave a pledge to the lord and neighbouring occupants etc; and thereupon he was thenceforth admitted.
<signed> John Rudd
[in the margin] Hand-over - 1d

Offline muzzakiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 November 20 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, Bookbox! I have shared this information on Wikitree for others to enjoy, with acknowledgment of your kindness. 
https://www.wikitree.com/index.php?title=Handsome-28&public=1

Could I please beg you further to translate two other similar documents which could not be fitted into the first message.

Offline muzzakiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 November 20 20:15 GMT (UK) »
last one

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 November 20 00:50 GMT (UK) »
To this court came John Handsom and Margaret his wife and took from the lord one room called The Parlour on the north side of a certain messuage in the possession of Thomas Hodshon, containing five virgates in length and five virgates in width, more or less, with appurtenances, which Thomas Hodshon, who then held all the right, estate, title, claim, interest and demand, surrendered and quitclaimed into the hands of the lord, for the use and behoof of the aforesaid John and Eliza; to hold to the same John Handsom and Eliza and their descendants by right, according to the custom of the court, paying thenceforth the previously accustomed annual rent at the usual times; and he gave a pledge to the lord and neighbouring occupants etc; and thereupon he was thenceforth admitted tenant.
David Hilton, Steward
[in the margin] Hand-over – ½d

(Some apparent confusion over the name of John's wife?)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 20 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Evenwood
To this court came Thomas Handsom, and with the lord’s permission through the said steward he took from the lord’s waste one parcel of land at Stones[?] End, with a house recently built upon it, containing in length ten virgates and in width five virgates, abutting on the house of John Handsom on the north side and on the land of the Lady Roise[?] on the west side, and on the lord’s waste on the south and east sides; to hold to the same Thomas Handsom and his descendants by right, according to the custom of the court, paying thenceforth each year to the Lord Bishop of Durham and his successors one penny of lawful money of Great Britain on the Feasts of St Martin the Bishop in Hyeme [11 Nov] and Pentecost [Whitsunday] in equal portions, beyond the lord’s rent and the services thence due; and he gave to the lord an entry fine.
John Rudd
[in the margin] Hand-over – 1d

(Thanks for the acknowledgment on Wikitree.)

Offline muzzakiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 November 20 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Wow! These old records certainly throw up some interesting information. Bookbox, I can't thank you enough for your help! To find someone who knows Latin is difficult, but someone who knows medieval Latin and has the willingness to help is truly rare and precious. From your translations, together with other information gleaned, a picture is emerging of what happened with these ancestors at Evenwood during that time period. In the next post I will endeavour to give a summary which may give clarification to any others following this story.

On Thomas Handsom's record:
'Stones End' makes every sense. That appears to confirm the location of the parcels. See image below for (my guess) a snip of those words.

'Lady Roise' - perhaps 'Rowe'? See below

Thomas' record is on the lower half of page with an apparently unrelated record (seemingly brought before the Halmote Court at the same time). The two records are at Evenwood and two different Hodshons are the quit claimants. Other than that I can't find any other obvious connection. Image included below for your opinion (am not expecting you to provide a translation for it).

Finally, a more general question. In many of the summaries of Call records there are names followed by 'de novo'. Am I correct in assuming this means something like 'given anew'. If so, they may either be the reference to a record in a previous book ie copied anew, or a renewal of a lease. See example below.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Bookbox!

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 November 20 20:13 GMT (UK) »
'Lady Roise' - perhaps 'Rowe'?

I agree Rowe seems likely, but there may be another letter at the end? (unclear).

Thomas' record is on the lower half of page with an apparently unrelated record (seemingly brought before the Halmote Court at the same time). The two records are at Evenwood and two different Hodshons are the quit claimants. Other than that I can't find any other obvious connection.

I don’t see a connection either. The property in question is another ‘recently built house and a garden’. The Durham University Special Collections catalogue for these records shows plenty of entries for the surname Hodshon, and it may be a coincidence that these two are on the same page.

Finally, a more general question. In many of the summaries of Call records there are names followed by 'de novo'. Am I correct in assuming this means something like 'given anew'. If so, they may either be the reference to a record in a previous book ie copied anew, or a renewal of a lease.

De novo just means ‘afresh’ or ‘again’. I wouldn’t want to speculate whether it’s the renewal of an old lease, or a new lease on a different property granted to the same tenant, or a new copy of an earlier record.

In general, I'm happy to help when I can, and there are a few other RC members who can also help with these records.

Offline muzzakiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 November 20 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

With respect to your comment on John & Margta's record "Some apparent confusion over the name of John's wife?" I spotted that also. Perhaps it arose when they were establishing the lineage of the parcel with the steward. This John I refer to as John 4th. The wife of his grandfather (John jnr) was probably Elizabeth as their first daughter plus three grand-daughters were named Elizabeth. So to me it reinforces the likelihood of his grandmother being Elizabeth, but of course it remains speculation.