Author Topic: Bottle family Harrietsham Kent  (Read 1585 times)

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bottle family Harrietsham Kent
« on: Sunday 01 November 20 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi is anyone researching the Bottle family in Kent?
I am related through Jemima Bottle, my 4th great grandmother, daughter of Robert Thomas Bottle (1762).

I was wondering if anyone knew where the Bottle family came from originally. Also I was wondering where the name Ferdinando comes from in this family as it crops up a lot through the generations. It sounds Italian. Are there any Italian links in the tree?

I am happy to share my tree with the research I have done.
Thank you
Vicky 

Offline RobertHauteville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bottle family Harrietsham Kent
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 February 21 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Ferdinando became popular in England in the early 1500s when Prince Arthur and then his younger brother Henry married Catherine of Aragorn. Her father was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_II_of_Aragon. Relations with the Spanish took a slight turn for the worse when Queen Mary married King Phillip II of Spain and started burning Protestants. Spanish sounding names suddenly became less popular although a few families continued to use it.

Offline Davidrobcampbell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 September 21 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi - I have just seen your post about the Bottle family of Harrietsham. My GG grandmother was Sophia Bottle and I have a tree stretching back to the 1500s. Some of the Bottles emigrated to Canada and my mother was in touch with them for a while. The family is well known - there are records of a water mill owned by Alexander in 18th Century and the family gained a reputation as toolmakers. One story is that the first Bottles to arrive in Stalisfield were three brothers in the late 1400s who had been part of a Scottish lowland family who had been involved in a ownership dispute and their father killed - they were supposed to have an Uncle called Fernandino. My tree is on ancestry - if you are interested in looking let me know your email. The other side of my family from Kent were the Chambers - also seem to have been well known. And it seems that they were quite close to the Bottles. I believe there are still Bottles living in the area - although it is now dominated by teh entrance to the tunnel.

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 19:58 BST (UK) »
My Grandfathers sister Ellen Waghorn 1848 Married John Bottle 1849 on 20 Feb 1870 at  All Saints , Ulcombe.Both were born at Ulcombe. Ellen was in service at Sutton Valence at time of Marriage.They had 8 children.
 John Bottle was descended from Robert Bottle 1622 of Harrietsham.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 September 21 13:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. Have either of you done DNA with Ancestry or MyHeritage? I haven't found any matches on the Bottle side yet. David, thank you for your information on the Bottle origins. Fascinating story. I'd love to see your family tree. I don't have paid access to Ancestry right now so if you could share it with me, that would be amazing.
I'll message you my email address